Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Success

I'd like to see Mase successful at the next level. If he stays, his weaknesses will be exploited and he may drop some in the draft. Mase has weaknesses that need to be adressed in order for him to be a solid player at the next level. I think he should leave and begin the process of actually getting better in other phases of his game. At the next level, they will work with him specifically as they see the areas he needs improvement in. He will also be challenged by his colleagues; he will get stronger, wiser, more skillful and learn alot as he observes basketball at its highest level. I don't see that happening in Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    Jack Daly tweets within the last 20 mins...

Jack Daly ‏ @_JackDaly

Sounds like Mason has made his decision. Perky Plumlee says announcement should be coming soon. He didn't want to get ahead of son ... #Duke

Jack Daly ‏ @_JackDaly

... and divulge Mason's decision. Nothing I heard contradicts others' Tweets about Mason leaning toward coming back. #Duke

Jack Daly ‏ @_JackDaly

Just to follow-up: Look for official release from #Duke later on this afternoon.
    Thanks Dcar. That's good news - just to have an answer. I'd agree (in spades!) that a 4th year Mason is much better than a rookie TP or AJ, though I don't believe it is an absolute "either-or" decision (esp for AJ). The skill sets and bodytypes aren't identical, so while MP2's presence affects the total minutes available, you might be talking a relatively small difference in minutes - think in terms of a frosh getting 16mpg vs 24mpg.

I was surprised by the DBR write-up on the front page re "What we'd say to Mason" about his decision, that there wasn't much about the opportunity to actually PLAY alongside/mentor his younger brother, Marshall. For a tight family like theirs, I'd think that's a huge draw.

I think a very strong FINANCIAL REASONS case can be made in favor of him waiting another year and gaining a higher draft slot next year simply b/c: (A) This is a strong draft year for bigs; (B) Leaving after a first-round NCAA exit doesn't put the optimal 'spin' on a draft candidate's prospects; (C) He is much more likely to be featured next year than he was this year (i.e. greater visibility with scouts/GM's) and some of the ACC big-man competition next year will not be as challenging; (D) Another year to develop and work on specific (low-post) skills pre-draft.

I'm thinking 60/40 he stays, but ya never know. Wish Mason the very best whichever way he decides.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    Gang,
    What's the most reliable mock draft web site, if there is such a term?

On NBAdraft.net, they've now moved Mason to the 2013 draft (and he's still in the same position he would have been for this year's draft), but they still have CJ McCollum listed for 2012 and I thought he said he was coming back next year.

It was updated on April 5th so not sure when McCollum said he was returning.
    NBAdraft.net is run by some unknown individual with no connections to NBA GMs, colleges, or insiders of note. It could seriously be a kid running a very nice website in a garage. They claim they have "scouts," but they're unnamed and who knows how qualified they actually are. DraftExpress actually has connections to the NBA scene and has named scouts, including president Jonathan Givony, that are reputable. Their analysis of players and in depth articles are clearly more well-informed. It's possible that NBADraft.net gets lucky and picks the mock draft better simply based on them using other sites and articles, while DraftExpress relies more on first hand knowledge. But I'd definitely put more stock in DraftExpress. Chad Ford also seems to at least have some NBA connections and is likely more reliable than NBADraft.net.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    I'd like to see Mase successful at the next level. If he stays, his weaknesses will be exploited and he may drop some in the draft. Mase has weaknesses that need to be adressed in order for him to be a solid player at the next level. I think he should leave and begin the process of actually getting better in other phases of his game. At the next level, they will work with him specifically as they see the areas he needs improvement in. He will also be challenged by his colleagues; he will get stronger, wiser, more skillful and learn alot as he observes basketball at its highest level. I don't see that happening in Durham.
    Just curious did you feel that Terence Jones should have gone out last year in order to develop more than he could have in Lexington or is it only Durham where players can't improve?

I don't agree with this at all. Basically you think that any weaknesses college players have should be addressed at the pro level? You don't think Mason can improve upon his success his junior season at the college level? I think Mason will get MORE attention at Duke as as senior than he would as a rookie big man in the NBA drafted somewhere between 20-32.

Sorry I didnt clarify

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Well good thing everyone doesn't have your mindset, otherwise we'd have 100 of our best young prospects going to Europe to play for a year. I think there is a lot more that has to be going into it. Guaranteed money, possibly more money in the future, getting your degree!
    I was speaking of a player that has already played college ball for 3 years and one that has a legitimate shot at a 10 year NBA career. I dont think he will be an all star caliber player but I think Mason could leave this year and still play 10 years in the NBA and make a good living for him and his family.

I think if you get 3 years out of a player today, take it as a gift.

Mason Staying

Jeff Goodman ‏ @GoodmanCBS

Duke's Mason Plumlee is returning to school for senior season, sources told CBSSports. Story coming.

Mason is coming back. I'll give my thoughts on that later.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ning-to-durham

So happy for Mason to put this behind him and that he is at peace with his decision. Guys like Kyle and Nolan before him, as well his brother have all enjoyed great senior seasons. Can't wait to watch #5 in Duke blue for another season.

I agree that I would also like to see Mason successful at the next level. I disagree that his weaknesses would be exploited more by playing college basketball for another year than they would at the pro level. I agree that, in addition to his many strengths, Mason does have some weaknesses that could be addressed to make him an even better player. I also agree that for him to get better, it would be good to be somewhere that he could work specifically on skills that would help him improve. If only there was a good coaching staff around that could provide that kind of environment. Maybe he should aim for the best and try to get some help from the Olympic coaching staff as they seem to have been able to do great things for the best players in the world. Where could he go where he could work with people like that?

Happy

If this is true; i'm happy for Mase. With a degree from Duke, four years in college, the natural maturation that comes from this experience, he will be a better, well-rounded professional and person. Life is more than basketball or draft status, potential and the like. Good for Mase. I guess i should've considered the totality of his potential to improve beyond the court. Character, ability, toughness, discipline and patience are not only good ingredients for a successful athlete, but for a good person as well. Good luck to the Mase!

I really think having Mason back will be huge for Duke next year. He really is a tenacious rebounder and I suspect Duke will stick with the post game and do a better job of getting the ball inside where the Mason can operate. he should put up big numbers next year and I'm predict All ACC first team and consideration for ACC POY. I'm expecting a big year from all three Seniors next year. Hopefully they can pick up another Championship to go with the one they got as Freshmen. Speaking of getting ahead of myself...if Duke does win it all next year won't it be really strange to have three two-time champs without retiring anyone's jersey? I would love to see that happen though.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    So happy for Mason to put this behind him and that he is at peace with his decision. Guys like Kyle and Nolan before him, as well his brother have all enjoyed great senior seasons. Can't wait to watch #5 in Duke blue for another season.
    I, too, am very glad for Mason and what these means for the prospects of next season. I think he certainly can improve a lot and help his draft status as well as his overall readiness to contribute at the next level. Especially since it seems like a lot of PFs that are projected ahead of him have declared for the draft and it seems like next year will be a bit weaker at his position. However, having said that, it's obviously not without risks. While Kyle I'm sure immensely enjoyed his senior year and I would certainly call it a success, he was projected as a late first rounder after his Final Four MOP national championship year as a junior and then feel to the early second round and non-guaranteed money as a senior. Nolan was the opposite - projected as a second rounder after his junior year and then had a sterling senior year and solidified a spot in the first round. I believe Mason will bring it this upcoming season and show scouts he's a definite first rounder. But more importantly from my perspective, this makes us the likely favorite in the ACC. I could definitely see Mason as a double-double machine next year. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    This is really great news. I can't wait for Mason to have a monster senior year.

This is huge for us. Having Mase back to anchor the paint will really help the entire rotation. In addition, with Cook healthy and (hopefully) better able to penetrate and feed the post, we may see a real improvement in Mason's consistency.

I'm very happy, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Mason is coming back. I'll give my thoughts on that later.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ning-to-durham
    Hi,

Given what I have seen of the "professionalism" of news reporting, how sure are we of this? Hope it isn't going to need to be retracted or just taken off the web as if it never happened.

I also think it is important to note that Mason is a better student than many kids and maybe his coming back (if this report is true) had something to do with school too. There is a reason they call it being a student-athlete and not an athlete-student.

GO DUKE!
    Last edited by Kewlswim; 04-10-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: atrocious grammer

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    "Most didn't expect Plumlee to stay four years at Duke, but he hasn't had the career that many expected."

Goodman, that's a punk move. I'd discourage folks from reading his article, just to reduce his click count.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    I also think it is important to note that Mason is a better student than many kids and maybe his coming back (if this report is true) had something to do with school too. There is a reason they call it being a student-athlete and not an athlete-student.

GO DUKE!
    I agree that Mason being a good student helped in his decision to come back to some extent, but reports are that he is only two courses shy of graduating right now so he could easily take summer school this year and then graduate. Of course, he may enjoy school but from a "wanting to graduate" perspective, Mason was going to do that soon whether he chose to go to the NBA or not. In any event, definitely happy about this news!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    NBAdraft.net is run by some unknown individual with no connections to NBA GMs, colleges, or insiders of note. It could seriously be a kid running a very nice website in a garage. They claim they have "scouts," but they're unnamed and who knows how qualified they actually are. DraftExpress actually has connections to the NBA scene and has named scouts, including president Jonathan Givony, that are reputable. Their analysis of players and in depth articles are clearly more well-informed. It's possible that NBADraft.net gets lucky and picks the mock draft better simply based on them using other sites and articles, while DraftExpress relies more on first hand knowledge. But I'd definitely put more stock in DraftExpress. Chad Ford also seems to at least have some NBA connections and is likely more reliable than NBADraft.net.
    I actually sat next to Aran Smith, who runs NBADraft.net, at the Hoophall Classic. He's based in San Francisco and flew out to Massachusetts to watch players. Nice guy, he basically has operatives around the country who let him know what they think. I can't speak to their quality, or to his objectivity. Personally, I've always thought Draft Express ran a very respectable site, though I know a guy who used to write for them who's hardly an insider. That said, Aran spent a decent amount of time quizzing me on what I thought about this player and that, so I can personally attest his sources may be a bit suspect.