Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
    I'm liking these tweets. Based on these sources and what they are saying, I am guessing we'll hear something from Duke or Mason himself in the next 24 hours. Anyone agree?

I'd rather take a senior Mason than a freshman Tony or Amile...Good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    I'm liking these tweets. Based on these sources and what they are saying, I am guessing we'll hear something from Duke or Mason himself in the next 24 hours. Anyone agree?

I don't know, people just seem to be tweeting a lot about it since the early deadline is tomorrow. It could be a couple days or weeks until we hear anything official about Mason. Or it could be tomorrow, very difficult to tell.

I am sure he feels pressure to decide soon since decision obviously influences our position with several key recruits/transfers

Also at this point he's had the weekend to review the findings from the NBA evaluation committee. He's got all the information he's going to get, with the exception of knowing whether a handful of other guys are gong to go who might be ahead of him in the draft. Now that he's gotten all the information he can, I'm sure a part of him wants to get the decision over with so he can move forward.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    I'd rather take any 4 year Dukie than any freshman. In the end, I like looking back at the journey...the pain, the laughs, the elation, the frustration. No freshman can provide that, but they can become a part of it. Just gotta stick around for a while.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I maybe on an island here, but I dont think its that difficult a decision. I would love to have Mason's decision right now. You cant go wrong in my opinion. But my mindset would be, why play for free if someone is willing to pay me to play.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    I maybe on an island here, but I dont think its that difficult a decision. I would love to have Mason's decision right now. You cant go wrong in my opinion. But my mindset would be, why play for free if someone is willing to pay me to play.
    Good thing the players don't apply weak logic like that. Mason (along with most of our team) would have been playing in Europe right out of high school.

Well good thing everyone doesn't have your mindset, otherwise we'd have 100 of our best young prospects going to Europe to play for a year. I think there is a lot more that has to be going into it. Guaranteed money, possibly more money in the future, getting your degree!

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Good thing the players don't apply weak logic like that. Mason (along with most of our team) would have been playing in Europe right out of high school.
    And beyond that, remember, this is a life-altering decision. That kind of choice is going to be complicated for just about anybody in just about any situation. Plus, every indivdual brings a different set of priorities to the table. It just isn't possible to distill such a complex issue into one or two bullet points. The man will make his choice in due time.

Perry Jones III and Thomas Robinson are foregoing their eligibility and entering the NBA draft. I know they were already on most everyone's boards higher than Mason, but Mason has to be looking at all of these guys' who are of the same position he is. Any word on Leslie?

Jack Daly tweets within the last 20 mins...

Jack Daly ‏ @_JackDaly

Sounds like Mason has made his decision. Perky Plumlee says announcement should be coming soon. He didn't want to get ahead of son ... #Duke

Jack Daly ‏ @_JackDaly

... and divulge Mason's decision. Nothing I heard contradicts others' Tweets about Mason leaning toward coming back. #Duke

Jack Daly ‏ @_JackDaly

Just to follow-up: Look for official release from #Duke later on this afternoon.

I hope Mason comes back bc it's good for the team. I don't worry about him scaring away a prospect; anyone 1-and-done is not going to worry about minutes on our 2012-13 team; if they aren't good for 30 minutes/game, they aren't good enough for the NBA. As for whether it's good for Mason, well, I dunno. If he becomes a 10 year NBA starter, he'll have a few million dollars or whatever he'd have gotten in the final year of his final contract, but he'll presumably have more money than he can spend and so it doesn't matter financially but could be a great personal, intellectual, and developmental decision. OTOH, if he's destined to be a low 1st, high 2nd rounder regardless and ends up playing just a few years in the NBA, then it might just be useful to have socked away an additional year of NBA $$. Will an additional year of Duke, K, leadership, etc, help him in his basketball career? I'm unconvinced. As for laying it out carefully on graph paper to make the decision... well, that might assuage anxiety, but that's not how I've made major career/life decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I hope Mason comes back bc it's good for the team. I don't worry about him scaring away a prospect; anyone 1-and-done is not going to worry about minutes on our 2012-13 team; if they aren't good for 30 minutes/game, they aren't good enough for the NBA. As for whether it's good for Mason, well, I dunno. If he becomes a 10 year NBA starter, he'll have a few million dollars or whatever he'd have gotten in the final year of his final contract, but he'll presumably have more money than he can spend and so it doesn't matter financially but could be a great personal, intellectual, and developmental decision. OTOH, if he's destined to be a low 1st, high 2nd rounder regardless and ends up playing just a few years in the NBA, then it might just be useful to have socked away an additional year of NBA $$. Will an additional year of Duke, K, leadership, etc, help him in his basketball career? I'm unconvinced. As for laying it out carefully on graph paper to make the decision... well, that might assuage anxiety, but that's not how I've made major career/life decisions...
    I kind of have the same opinion of it as you do. I'm honestly not sure if this is the best move for Mason from a dollars-and-cents perspective. Yeah, he might fall out of the first round this year, but is there any guarantee that his draft stock won't be exactly the same next year? I think it would take a lot of development from Mason this season for this not to be the case. I know what Mason is capable of, and he played great in many games this season, especially against other NBA level bigs, but how much more can we expect from him?

However, there's no doubt this does TONS for our prospects as a team this season. Gone are the debates of what our big man rotation should look like, as it should be Kelly and Mason entrenched in the post for the entire season, with Marshall and Hairston serving as the backups (obviously this changes if we land Jefferson or Parker). We should be able to take a step up from this past season, with players no longer uncomfortable with their new roles. Austin and Miles will both be big losses, but not losses that can't be made up for, especially if Mason comes back to Durham.

(This entire post is assuming the reports are true.)

Development

If he stays, how much will he develop as a big? He's had three years to develop more of a back to the basket type of game. He's made some improvement, but to truly take his game up a notch, he's going to have to surround himself with superior talent, coaching and a more athletically diverse environment. He has the raw, athletic ability, he just needs to work with people who can help him develop more. He won't get that if he stays in Durham another year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    If he stays, how much will he develop as a big? He's had three years to develop more of a back to the basket type of game. He's made some improvement, but to truly take his game up a notch, he's going to have to surround himself with superior talent, coaching and a more athletically diverse environment. He has the raw, athletic ability, he just needs to work with people who can help him develop more. He won't get that if he stays in Durham another year.
    So he's made some improvement in Durham, but he won't be able to improve if he stays in Durham?

Circular logic much?

Don't forget that this year's draft is inflated with talent. Several early entries into this year's draft would've left last year if the NBA lockout hadn't been looming in the background. Mason is likely to improve his draft status next year based on that trend alone; if he continues to develop throughout his senior year he could become a lottery prosppect.

You're right, we've never had senior post players/big men make huge strides their senior year. That is,unless you want to go out on a limb and call Zoubek a "big man".

He was coming along nicely throughout the year when the team really focused on feeding the post. Once Austin hit that game winner at the Dean Dome and we reverted back to a primarily 3 point shooting offense, his effectiveness lessened. Does anyone have access to Synergy Sports, or another service that would tell us who on the team threw the most entry passes into Mason? I'd love to see that data because I feel like Kelly was good at getting him the ball. With more lengthy wings, like Murphy and Silent G, maybe it we'll have an easier time feeding that post..our diminutive guards just couldn't see over the offensive line - now I'm really grasping...

Anyway, I say all that because I think, if he returns, he'll be a featured offensive weapon getting more touches - which, hopefully, should help our big man recruiting story.

Gang,
    What's the most reliable mock draft web site, if there is such a term?

On NBAdraft.net, they've now moved Mason to the 2013 draft (and he's still in the same position he would have been for this year's draft), but they still have CJ McCollum listed for 2012 and I thought he said he was coming back next year.

It was updated on April 5th so not sure when McCollum said he was returning.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    You're right, we've never had senior post players/big men make huge strides their senior year. That is,unless you want to go out on a limb and call Zoubek a "big man".
    Anyone here remember Alaa Abdelnaby? Erik Meek? Casey Sanders? All improved considerably from junior to senior year.

Boozer made a big jump from soph to junior year, much of it from simply getting more touches.