Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I don't know that Knight would have gone much higher. By the time players got to the draft, the buzz was already surrounding Irving (who had passed Knight). Maybe he goes a spot or two higher, but when you're the #2 guard coming out it's rare that you go much higher in the lottery.

Rivers probably would have been a lottery pick, but I think most projected him in the 10-15 range. This class was just so deep (with all of the returning players) that he just wasn't going to skyrocket anyway.
    I agree that Knight probably wouldn't have gone much higher in the 2010 draft, but I think his being drafted in the top 10 was more a result of the unusual number of people that went back to school who would likely have been drafted higher than him (Barnes and Sullinger for two). Granted he might not have left had so many people not decided to return, but my point was more about how both Austin and Knight got better as players during their year at school, while not really improving their draft stock. I wholeheartedly agree how this draft class is head and shoulders above last years in terms of depth and I'm not trying to say that they're situations are exactly the same, but I think there are a lot of parallels between Knight and Austin's potential, development curves, and skill levels that might make Knight a good comparison for what we might expect out of Austin next year as far as production.

Our front line will include a guy who very likely will be an All-ACC player next year (Kelly), a junior who understands his role, a redshirt freshman 7 footer who was a McDonald's All American, and a redshirt freshman combo forward who would have been a top 10-15 recruit had he come out this year as was originally intended. Take a look around the ACC and I think you'll see that it's going to be above average.

We'll combine that with an All-ACC shooting guard who is a fifth year senior, a senior SG who has limitless range and is capable of monster scoring nights, a top 10-15 recruit at guard who has size and explosiveness, a sophomore PG who was a McDonald's All-American but was hampered by injuries last year, and a junior PG who is very steady, smart, and tenacious defensively.

I fully admit that getting a #2 or #3 seed seems optimistic. But I would be shocked if we were a #8-10 seed (which would be well outside the Top-25, by the way). I'd set the bar at a #5-6 seed and Top-25 team. Could be better, could be worse, but definitely in the field.
    I think this is right on. We'll fall out of the top 10 for the first time in a while, but we'll stay in the top 25 I believe.

That said, so many things are still up in the air. Mason, Zeigler, Amile, Shabazz, and Parker. If one or more of those guys are on our team, things will change with Shabazz and Mason being the most immediately impactful. I'm glad we'll have more clarity soon enough.

http://northcarolinastate.scout.com/...id=358&yr=2011

CJ Williams is the only person they lose. Does Alex Johnson have eligibility? Plus, Vandenburg returns, but I don't know how big a help he is.

The total quality of the league might be up next year, but I don't see anyone competing for a top seed unless Duke has the perfect storm with its remaining targets or UNC loses far less than we think to the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Um, they're saying on the radio that we lost Mason yesterday. Is that true, or are these guys smoking something? Admittedly, I'm in Terp country, so this might just be wishful thinking on their part, but, huh? Has anybody else heard this?

ESPN reporting that he's decided to declare for the draft but won't actually send in his paperwork until he learns if he's a likely first-round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Jeremiah's article gives me some hope and added disdain for the reports that have already surfaced that Austin has already decided. The celtics have been playing games and have one again tonight and on sunday. Austin has been in Durham (I think) since the loss to Lehigh and just arrived in Orlando. It is absurd to think that Austin Rivers had made decided to come out with a decision without having spoken to his father, a head coach and highly respected NBA player in person about his prospects as a pro at this time. While I still expect him to leave, everything that I think and that has been said on this thread is that it is entirely likely that Doc would probably not be adamantly against Austin returning and would probably be more for a return to Duke to help Austin in every way possible, maybe he thinks its time for Austin to go, but if that's what Doc thinks, then to be honest, that's probably what I think when it comes to his son, who he has way more knowledge about game-wise, personally, and from an NBA perspective than any of us, and probably the Duke coaching staff could ever to hope to
    If there was only some technology that would allow two people to talk while being in different parts of the country I think they have talked.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    I think this is right on. We'll fall out of the top 10 for the first time in a while, but we'll stay in the top 25 I believe.

That said, so many things are still up in the air. Mason, Zeigler, Amile, Shabazz, and Parker. If one or more of those guys are on our team, things will change with Shabazz and Mason being the most immediately impactful. I'm glad we'll have more clarity soon enough.
    Agreed. I'd say Mason, Zeigler, and Muhammad would be the biggest impact guys next year (perhaps in that order - hard to say without having seen much of Zeigler or Muhammad, but Zeigler does have two years of experience/maturity on the recruit). The other two seem more like they'd be reserve pieces next year and step up the following year.

It will be very interesting to see how the next month plays out. We could be in very very good position or just fairly solid position.

Agreed. I'd say Mason, Zeigler, and Muhammad would be the biggest impact guys next year (perhaps in that order - hard to say without having seen much of Zeigler or Muhammad, but Zeigler does have two years of experience/maturity on the recruit). The other two seem more like they'd be reserve pieces next year and step up the following year.

It will be very interesting to see how the next month plays out. We could be in very very good position or just fairly solid position.
    Zeigler would have to sit out a year if he came, right?

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    http://northcarolinastate.scout.com/...id=358&yr=2011

CJ Williams is the only person they lose. Does Alex Johnson have eligibility? Plus, Vandenburg returns, but I don't know how big a help he is.

The total quality of the league might be up next year, but I don't see anyone competing for a top seed unless Duke has the perfect storm with its remaining targets or UNC loses far less than we think to the draft.
    State will lose Williams and Johnson (who was a grad student transfer) for sure, and very possibly will lose Leslie as well. They'll add Vandenburg (who will certainly help them on the inside as a minutes guy) to go along with Painter as primary rotation guys inside off the bench. Howell will be a double-double machine. They'll have two 6'8" guys off the bench as well to provide spot minutes as necessary (Harris and De Thaey).

But where they really get a boost (assuming Brown doesn't go) is on the perimeter. They'll have Brown and Lewis at PG and Purvis, Wood, and Warren rotating at the wings. That's some serious length on the perimeter, combined with at least two potential studs in Brown and Purvis (not that the other 3 are slouches by any means).

If Leslie and Brown both return, that's my absolute lock for the preseason top spot. If Leslie goes but they get Jefferson, I'd still say they're my top pick, but it's dicier and we jump back into the equation. If Leslie and Jefferson both aren't there, State is still an easy top 2 or 3 and maybe still #1 in the conference.

So let me get this straight. We blast a kid who is a junior at St Johns for having an article that pretty much says the same thing that Jeff Goodman has said in his article bit we dont blast Jeff? Am I the only one who thinks we owe the St Johns kid an apology?

On a side note, it would not bother me if Austin leaves. I think he is a great kid and has talent but just from my observations this year i think he is more of an individual player rather than a team player. Again just my honest opinion. Here is to next year, Go Duke!

Just as Bogie and Bergman had Paris, we'll always have the Shot.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Zeigler would have to sit out a year if he came, right?
    There is discussion about the possibility of getting that waived since his dad was just fired as coach. If that waiver doesn't come, then yes he'd have to sit out. I have no idea how likely such a waiver will be.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke freshman guard Austin Rivers will declare for the NBA draft, sources said Friday.
    He will make the formal announcement next week after spending the weekend at home in Orlando.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/sto...ft-sources-say

That sounds pretty definitive. If Goodman and Katz had said "a source", I think those hoping beyond hope may have a chance, but when they both say "multiple sources" you can write it down. I hate hearing that about the staff knowing "in the latter part of the season that Rivers was going to leave", I wonder if the rest of the team knew also, and how it affected things overall..if at all.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Only at a precious few programs can you lose the amount of talent we have lost (assuming Mason also goes) in the last two years and still be looking at a fairly solid team. Kyrie, Kyle, Nolan, Austin, Mason. Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I think you may need to temper that - who knows if defections are over? Dust may not be done clearing.
    Do you have any actual information that would substantiate this insinuation?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll just say that it wouldn't totally shock me if more dust was still to come. That's just a gut feeling. One that I almost never have either, so I'm not playing the part of Chicken Little in this instance. But I'm hoping that's not the case as I love all the guys on this team and only want the best for each of them.

I am tired of this one and done garbage, it's ruining college basketball.

EDIT - I do want to clarify that I do hope all the best for Rivers. This one hurts more than Kyrie did to me. I can't help but think what if if Austin and Kyrie could have crossed paths here at Duke. Don't hate the player (Austin,Kyrie) hate the game (one and done).
    Last edited by kingboozer; 03-23-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Best of luck to Austin in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That sounds pretty definitive. If Goodman and Katz had said "a source", I think those hoping beyond hope may have a chance, but when they both say "multiple sources" you can write it down.
    It's not infrequent that "multiple sources" are one source and hearsay originally from the same source. Journalists also sometimes use each other for confirmation, even if all are relying on the same original report. Bad enough in sports, worse when it happens in the real world.

He's probably gone, but you never know. I generally fail to understand why someone like Austin who would likely improve their draft position by staying (late lottery to maybe top 5?) and doesn't really need the money (AFAIK) would leave, but I have generally given up on trying to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Nothing concrete, and of course the board frowns on rumor-mongering. I'll just say that one should never make too many assumptions - we've seen plenty of folks depart from Duke as well as other programs over the years, some expected, some less so. Nature of the beast.

FSU

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Yup - could be quite a scrum after that. Big year for FSU next year, with them losing a bunch of key guys. There's really no obvious #4 IMO.
    Not sure why so many of you guys are discounting FSU as a preseason contender in the ACC.

Yeah, they lose a lot, but they have the best backcourt in the ACC returning in Snaer (right now, the likely preseason player of the year) and Ian Miller. That's a senior junior tandem -- two proven, veteran players who fit well together.

they get back Terrence Shannon, their best power forward, who missed last year with an injury. They still have Okaro White, one of the most versatile frontcourt players in the league. They have Mel Turpin's son (7-foot, 235-pounds) back after redshirting next year. They have a 6-10 juco All-America center signed, along with two pretty highly touted wings.

Obviously, one of two of their new big men will have to pan out and they need some depth behind Snaer and Miller in the backcourt -- Terry Whisnaut, who didn't get much chance this year with Snaer, Miller, Louks, Dulkys ahead of him , but a scorer with a lot of talent.

I don't deny they has issues -- but so does Duke, UNC and even State. Hamilton has proven that he can get his kids to play great defense (he loses a great shotblocker in James, but Snaer was the best perimeter defender in the league and White can guard anything between a PG and a PF). I don't expect to see much of a dropoff from the 'Noles.