Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
Agree that Mason could be huge next year. But I think you again are mistaking the system last year if you don't think Coach K stressed feeding the post. He made that a goal last year. He said it numerous times in the preseason. The team even made a concerted effort early on to get him the ball.
If last season was an example of the coaching staff stressing feeding the post, they did a horrible job.

Just getting him the ball, and getting him the ball in the low post are two different things.

If I was a Duke coach, Mason would be setting up shop at the charge line under the basket. Not outside the lane as he did all season. When he received an entry pass, he would be be benched if he put it on the floor. He'd turn and shoot quickly or kick it out, but he would not put it on the floor and he would work hard on getting good low position.

Last season, Mason rarely got the ball low enough where he could just turn and shoot. He would use his dribble, because he would receive the pass too far from the hoop, (where he was setting screens). He is plenty quick and strong enough to move along the baseline and seal his defender that would be trying to front him. I think most teams would even have to double team him. He just needs two moves, a drop step and a jump hook to go along with his excellent rebounding and transition game.

It is crazy that after three years, an athletic 6'10 250lb junior big has not got a single reliable low post scoring move, much less two.