Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Fortunately, I have repressed most of my memories of the 2007 team, ... It would seem reasonable to conclude that "chemistry problems" were "maturity problems." And it seems far-fetched to single out Josh for blame, who, although only a sophomore, was 2nd team All-ACC... sagegrouse
    While the 07 team was indeed young, I beg to differ on the diagnosis [ed. - well, could we be talking a distinction without a difference? Maturity problems lead to chemistry problems?]. Yes, Josh put up good numbers - he played the most minutes of anyone - but I am referring to that unscientific "eye" test to which many here are, to mix metaphors, tone-deaf. When you see a player often scowling, sulking, complaining/whining, not encouraging his teammates or communicating in a positive manner, not often smiling/celebrating good plays, etc., you are left with an impression of bad chemistry. For contrast, temember Kyrie's attitude when he was sidelined with his toe injury? Remember how he was SO positive, encouraging, celebrating, cheering? Did you see how Aaron Craft gathered his teammates in a huddle during OSU's game last night, communicating and showing leadership? Taking the blame in a positive way when he picked up 2 quick fouls, but immediately going back and playing tough D? The opposite of that.

True, none of us can get inside any player's mind, and probably none of us are in the locker room, practices, etc., to see how things really go between players and with coaches. All we can go on is what we see and stats. Josh was no bust, he was a productive player and you correctly noted his recognition. However, there's a significant number of us who note when a player seems to have a negative demeanor on the court. We're not talking swagger or intensity, we're talking negativity, and there's a difference. Dismissing it out of hand implies we've never had this issue, unless Bobby Hurley's freshman year is the only case you'll concede (and even then, for all his sulking/whining, he was a positive vocal leader with teammates).
    Last edited by cspan37421; 03-25-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added ed. comment