Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
Wheat's obsession is with traditional low-post scoring moves. They must be initiated by an entry pass to a big who has his man sealed off, then the big must make a post move and score. An alley-oop dunk or fast break layup does not count. If a team doesn't have a guy that does this 10-15 times per game, they cannot win the National Championship (which is kind of interesting since Kentucky didn't really have that this year either).

The way that Duke generates scoring inside is just different from UNC's. Whether we should try to use Mason more like a traditional big is up for debate I suppose. As for comparisons to Sullinger and Robinson, I don't know if Mason can bench press as much as those guys but he did play them head to head really well, back in November when the whole team had things clicking (which feels like a lifetime ago).
Interestingly, the last 3 national champions haven't dumped it into the post like UNC does. Kentucky, UConn, and Duke were "outside in" scoring teams. Kentucky happened to have a guy who could score with his back to the basket, but their approach to scoring was primarily to run, shoot 3s, and attack off the dribble from the perimeter.

I agree with Wheat that we underutilized our post guys this year. I didn't agree as to why, but we definitely got too one-dimensional. However, I don't think being an outside in team is necessarily a problem. Being an outside in team that doesn't dribble or pass well IS a problem.

There are lots of ways to score points effectively, and lots of ways to have balance. We definitely lacked balance in terms of style as the season progressed. We had much better balance early on (more passing, scoring in a wider variety of ways).