Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrGonzo View Post
    Well if the goal is to get drafted then I guess he should leave. But he is nowhere near ready for the league. Shelden Williams was a BEAST of a center for Duke, he got drafted and I don't even know if he is in the league anymore. I just meant I think Mason never came to Duke with the intention of leaving early to get drafted. He came to get an education and play for Coach K. And honestly I don't think he would want to leave after getting put out in the first round either. I could be wrong about all of this, I guess time will tell.
    Actually he's playing solid minutes and occasionally starting for the Nets.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Actually he's playing solid minutes and occasionally starting for the Nets.
    I didn't know that. I just knew he got drafted by my hometown Atlanta Hawks and I was pumped but he never played...I kinda quit keeping track of him...and the NBA in general a few years ago.

Well if the goal is to get drafted then I guess he should leave. But he is nowhere near ready for the league. Shelden Williams was a BEAST of a center for Duke, he got drafted and I don't even know if he is in the league anymore. I just meant I think Mason never came to Duke with the intention of leaving early to get drafted. He came to get an education and play for Coach K. And honestly I don't think he would want to leave after getting put out in the first round either. I could be wrong about all of this, I guess time will tell.
    Thankfully, Shelden has made over $11 million in the NBA and is still in the league. I'm not sure what Shelden has to do with Mason though. They are very different players.

Most of our high-level, McDonald's All-American players probably have the goal of getting drafted into the NBA, like it or not.

Saying that Miles is a four year guy implies that he made a choice to finish at Duke instead of going to the NBA. I do not believe that the NBA was ever an option for him following his junior year. I do think that Mason could be drafted in the first round in this year's NBA draft.

I am sorry, but I do not see what makes you believe that Mason has never had intentions of leaving early, or that his NCAA tournament game would affect his decision to stay at Duke. Gerald Henderson was certainly ready to go the NBA after we got creamed by Villanova and had a real shortage of guards for the next season. Josh McRoberts was ready after a first round NCAA tournament loss to VCU. I think it's pretty silly to try to project onto players what you would like for them to be thinking. I'm not sure what about Mason would lead to to believe that he would not to leave Duke early for the NBA if that option were available.

Austin is back on twitter, promising to prove doubters wrong. No news on where these doubters are going to be put to rest yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    Austin is back on twitter, promising to prove doubters wrong. No news on where these doubters are going to be put to rest yet.
    Didn't see the doubters reference, but here's Austin's latest tweet (March 17th):
    "Last nght was disappointing, but we're a young team and with a little more experience and preparation, next year who knows how far we could go."

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Didn't see the doubters reference, but here's Austin's latest tweet (March 17th):
    "Last nght was disappointing, but we're a young team and with a little more experience and preparation, next year who knows how far we could go."
    Sounds too good to believe. Me likey.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Where did you find that?

The last tweet I have from Austin is the one that was posted in this thread previously.

Prior to that, his last tweet was Jan. 29th.

The tweet came from @AustinRivers_0, which I don't think is his real account, his is AustinRivers_25. It was too good to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    Where did you find that?

The last tweet I have from Austin is the one that was posted in this thread previously.

I also saw the referenced tweet. I'm not sure this is his actual twitter though. http://twitter.com/#!/austinrivers_0

Where did you find that?

Austin Rivers ‏ @AustinRivers25
    I will prove doubters wrong..!
    8:42 PM - 18 Mar 12 via Echofon · Details

The other twitter account (AustinRivers_0) is not Austin's.

So now my question is: have any of the other Duke players (that we expect to be back) resumed their twitter activity?

Well if he doesn't return for next season that tweet is a HUGE tease... HUGE. FYI, you really can't test the waters anymore because the NCAA deadline for withdrawing ones name for the draft is before the NBA's early entry date

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Austin Rivers ‏ @AustinRivers25
    I will prove doubters wrong..!
    8:42 PM - 18 Mar 12 via Echofon · Details
    really doesn't tell much...i think he wants to come back...but could mean "i will prove them wrong in the NBA"

here we go overanalyzing teenager's tweets again!!
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by zack2014 View Post
    I also saw the referenced tweet. I'm not sure this is his actual twitter though. http://twitter.com/#!/austinrivers_0
    Yea, that's not his real twitter account.

Try this:
    https://twitter.com/#!/AustinRivers25

Sounds like the other one is trying to suck us all in!

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Does anyone know when the withdrawal deadline is? It says April 29th on NBA.com, but I thought I'd read that it was somewhere around April 10-12 this year, which would not allow prospects to test the waters. Did the ACC/NCAA pass something along those lines, or did I make that up?

You know, I kind of forget that Mason Plumlee is already 22. I had kind of been assuming he'd come back to improve his stock Zeller-style, but that's a little worrying. Hopefully he keeps the faith...
    For Duke there isn't one. Coach K has said on more than one occasion that he is not a fan of "testing the waters". If a Duke kid declares, K considers them gone. So, I imagine he works with Austin and Mason like he normally does, gathering data, and meeting with the families to discuss the merits of staying vs declaring. After that it becomes go or stay, no inbetween.

Shelden has done just fine in the NBA -got his second contract and is a solid player for NJ at the moment- and he married Candace Parker and had a baby with her. Mason would be a happy camper if he has an equivalent outcome with his career and life.

FWIW, ESPN's draft expert Chad Ford just published his NCAA Rounds 1&2 NBA Stock Watch column. He bucketed everyone as "Good" or "Bad" and Mason was honorable mention in the "Good" bucket while Seth Curry was honorable mention in the "Bad". Austin was not mentioned. He bases his ratings on conversations with NBA scouts.

I think that Duke's lack of focus on traditional low post offense actually helps our guys who put up decent stats. They look at someone like Mason, see what a good season he had and wonder what he could do if he played somewhere that made him a real focal point of the offense. There is a lot of room in the NBA for 6'10" guys that can run and jump which is why I think Miles will get a real look. As for Mason, I think he's a sure first rounder this year and will only come back if he wants another year of the college experience.

As for Austin, I think we're in kind of a several year lull for high impact PGs and SGs. While their is a ridiculous number of superstar point guards in the NBA right now, the shooting guard position is just as weak. Scanning the draft forecasts for this year and next, there are a ton of quality 3s and 4s and relatively few 1s and 2s. I think it would do Austin a lot of good to come back as a captain and get a real chance to be the acknowledged leader of the team. But, it's important to remember that his life has been all about the NBA...he's been around the NBA game, not the college game, his whole life. In that way, being at Duke was kind of an outlier - by headed to the NBA, he'd really be "going back home". I hope he'd stay to absorb K's teachings, and to get reps as "the man". Getting "the man" reps, I think, really helps a guy take his game to the next level because it fuels that confidence.

Yea, that's not his real twitter account.

Try this:
    https://twitter.com/#!/AustinRivers25

Sounds like the other one is trying to suck us all in!
    It's kind of interesting--usually Twitter tries to police this kind of thing with anyone considered "famous" but I don't know whether college athletes count. I assume if Austin asked them to they would remove the fake account.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    So now my question is: have any of the other Duke players (that we expect to be back) resumed their twitter activity?
    Mike is the only other player I've seen to resume tweeting...this was his first tweet after losing to Lehigh..

Mike Gbinije ‏ @TheRealGbinije
    gotta make the most of this off season and get hungry

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    It's kind of interesting--usually Twitter tries to police this kind of thing with anyone considered "famous" but I don't know whether college athletes count. I assume if Austin asked them to they would remove the fake account.
    I'm not sure, but the other account claims to be twitter verified, and I'm pretty sure that one's not Austin (the one with AustinRivers0).
    That account had a lot of tweeting, and I mean A LOT, between February and March when the team decided to give up Twitter.

If you do a twitter search, there are actually a ton of Austin Rivers pages, but a lot of them say they are fan pages and not the real account. I wonder how they get deleted.

Austin's latest tweet is a bit interesting.

Billy Dat
    FWIW, ESPN's draft expert Chad Ford just published his NCAA Rounds 1&2 NBA Stock Watch column. He bucketed everyone as "Good" or "Bad" and Mason was honorable mention in the "Good" bucket while Seth Curry was honorable mention in the "Bad". Austin was not mentioned. He bases his ratings on conversations with NBA scouts.
    Can you explain what that means that Austin wasn't mentioned?