Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Duke received a commitment from LB Dominic Zanca McDonald today, a former Tennessee commit.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/12/l...tches-to-duke/

Zanca will enroll in January along with Edwards, Mann, and Boehme.

Quote Originally Posted by pbc2 View Post
    That is great news as linebacker is a position of need. Thanks for the update. Is there any update on Parker Boehme's health? I know he injured a foot or toe and missed the end of his senior season.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by pbc2 View Post
    Duke received a commitment from LB Dominic Zanca McDonald today, a former Tennessee commit.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/12/l...tches-to-duke/

Excellent news! Thanks, Patrick. Good sized young man. Any idea about his 40 yard dash speed? What number/percentage of January entrants typically play that fall?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

This kid looks pretty good - a strong presence in the middle. He had a lot of offers from apparently 12 schools from all of the major conferences. Anybody else like this trend -- stud recruits switching from a traditional SEC power school to Duke? And in a NEED position for us too. Here are some highlights:

m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=SjVm5AopBe8

Apparently his dad has been a frequent poster on some Tenn fan sites. Here's an interesting one posted just recently:

Originally Posted by Lilflcajun
    I would like to say we completely bought in to Tenn and there is no love lost there is zero members of the staff that we committed to including office people with that being said Dominic was not a priority to the new staff. It is why we had started setting trips up after the Vandy game incase this were to happen. But after this weekend we canceled the next trip as he found the new school he wanted to attend and can be EE other schools could not get that done in due time. We love reading both the haters and the fans that appreciated his play. I will watch this class closely as I came to be a fan of all the commits. Good luck Vol fans. And if anyone interested I have plenty of orange for sale LOL. For you guys that like to look at a kids offer list I have not seen a list of Dominic's that is remotely close. The kids report those to the sites a kid that is committed could care less about what the respected site says. His list is closer to 12 from all major conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    ...For you guys that like to look at a kids offer list I have not seen a list of Dominic's that is remotely close. The kids report those to the sites a kid that is committed could care less about what the respected site says. His list is closer to 12 from all major conferences...
    Nice, thanks for posting that. Certainly good to hear.

The first play of his hudl highlights made me laugh out loud. Gotta love a hitter like that!

Boehme

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    That is great news as linebacker is a position of need. Thanks for the update. Is there any update on Parker Boehme's health? I know he injured a foot or toe and missed the end of his senior season.
    No insight on Boehme's health, but I think it's very unlikely that he'll be in the mix at QB next season anyway. He's going to be redshirted as Renfree, Boone and Sirk were. Heck. Cutcliffe redshirted Eli Manning at Ole Miss -- that's what he wants to do do.

The big one to get in early is Everett -- Duke has got to find anothe CB or two to compliment Ross Cockrell (losing Tim Burton really hurt). Somebody may be moved or a guy who hasn't played yet (Jared Boyd?) may get that position, but Everett is probably the best CB prospect that Duke has recruited in years.

It's a position of desperate need. I hate to see a true freshman having to play a big role, but it will be a bit easier to if Everrett has spring practice to get ready.

Zanca-McDonald is a great pickup. I think Duke is still recruiting a jucio LB nmed Joe Walker ... plus Kelby Brown will be back next season. That's a major upgrade at that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Zanca-McDonald is a great pickup. I think Duke is still recruiting a jucio LB nmed Joe Walker ... plus Kelby Brown will be back next season. That's a major upgrade at that position.
    Unfortunately, Joe Walker committed to Oregon on his visit last weekend. Sucks because it sounded like we had a chance at a huge steal with him.

Although, I suppose when I find myself getting mad at losing a recruit to Oregon - who was also considering Miami and VT - it's a good sign about the direction of our recruiting...

The prospect I'm most salivating over right now is WR James Clark, who is reportedly planning to visit in the next month or two. It's been a lonnng time since we've had a guy with this extra gear, if ever:

Last edited by Greg_Newton; 12-12-2012 at 01:27 AM.

No insight on Boehme's health, but I think it's very unlikely that he'll be in the mix at QB next season anyway. He's going to be redshirted as Renfree, Boone and Sirk were. Heck. Cutcliffe redshirted Eli Manning at Ole Miss -- that's what he wants to do do.
    I understand and agree with you that Boehme will not be in the mix as a true freshman. I'm just hoping he is healthy and able to participate in spring practice.

Prior to several home games this season, I tore myself away from tailgate festivities early and went into the stadium to observe pregame drills. Sirk looked really good throwing the ball so I'm excited he will be in the mix. What are your thoughts on Sirk and his prospects to challenge for the starting role in 2013?

The big one to get in early is Everett -- Duke has got to find anothe CB or two to compliment Ross Cockrell (losing Tim Burton really hurt). Somebody may be moved or a guy who hasn't played yet (Jared Boyd?) may get that position, but Everett is probably the best CB prospect that Duke has recruited in years.

It's a position of desperate need. I hate to see a true freshman having to play a big role, but it will be a bit easier to if Everrett has spring practice to get ready.
    It will be tough on Evrett Edwards if he has to play cornerback in the ACC as a true freshman. Ross Cockrell struggled as a redshirt freshman, but as you state cornerback is a position of desperate need.

I am also interested in your thoughts on our prospects for returning kicks and punts with Butler and Vernon graduating. We need someone with good hands and superior speed. We seemed to struggle this season, especially on kick-off returns.
    Bob Green

For CB, we're going to have somebody unproven back there. Unless Boyd plays in the bowl game, Cockrell is going to be the only CB on our roster who's played a snap in a game entering next season. Luckily we're getting Edwards and Mann (and maybe Borders) in early to get the extra reps.

We've got a few young guys who were terrific kick returners in high school. Devon Edwards comes to mind - his highlights started out with a bunch of long kickoff returns. Quay Mann is another possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by jafarr1 View Post
    For CB, we're going to have somebody unproven back there. Unless Boyd plays in the bowl game, Cockrell is going to be the only CB on our roster who's played a snap in a game entering next season. Luckily we're getting Edwards and Mann (and maybe Borders) in early to get the extra reps.

We've got a few young guys who were terrific kick returners in high school. Devon Edwards comes to mind - his highlights started out with a bunch of long kickoff returns. Quay Mann is another possibility.
    Actually, Garrett Patterson is scheduled to return.

Not likely the long-term answer. But he will be a CB with some game experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Unfortunately, Joe Walker committed to Oregon on his visit last weekend. Sucks because it sounded like we had a chance at a huge steal with him.

Although, I suppose when I find myself getting mad at losing a recruit to Oregon - who was also considering Miami and VT - it's a good sign about the direction of our recruiting...

The prospect I'm most salivating over right now is WR James Clark, who is reportedly planning to visit in the next month or two. It's been a lonnng time since we've had a guy with this extra gear, if ever:

Go after their QB also. He seems to have mastered the "sideways" passing game, although his "sideways" seems to have a little more "vertical" than ours. James Clark does have the extra gear you speak about, and even turns some sideways passes into long gains.

Welcome to Duke, Chris Holmes!

After stealing Zanca-McDonald from Tennessee a few weeks ago, we snuck another from NCSU. A big get in a position of need - he had offers from Clemson, South Carolina and Michigan, among others. Good height and speed for a safety and looks like he hits hard (senior highlights).

Great to see us beating out some traditional recruiting powerhouses for a few recruits.

After stealing Zanca-McDonald from Tennessee a few weeks ago, we snuck another from NCSU. A big get in a position of need - he had offers from Clemson, South Carolina and Michigan, among others. Good height and speed for a safety and looks like he hits hard (senior highlights).

Great to see us beating out some traditional recruiting powerhouses for a few recruits.
    Great pickup at a position of need, safety - great sixe too.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Great pickup at a position of need, safety - great sixe too.
    When we talk about depth at the safety position, let's not forget Jeremy Cash who had to sit out a year after transferring from tOSU where he was a starter.

Thanks for sharing the great news! Hopefully we pick up a couple more defense recruits before February.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    When we talk about depth at the safety position, let's not forget Jeremy Cash who had to sit out a year after transferring from tOSU where he was a starter.
    Cash did not start at OSU. He played a bit on special teams as a true freshman, and was seen as a candidate to crack their safety two-deep as a sophomore.

holmes

Great pickup -- the second year in a row we've scored big late (and have a few more spots to fill).

As for next year's return picture, I agree that Devon Edwards is a first-rate prospect ... also, Jameson Crowder is a dynamic punt returner coming back.

I think we'll find good return guys. The problem with our kickoff returns last year was that we gad some very poor blocking up front. That's an area we need to upgrade.

Finally, about Sirk ... we won't know until we actually see him in action, but I think he's a guy worth getting VERY excited about. It's going to be hard to beat out Boone for the starting job and Connette will clearly have a role, but Sirk is good enough that he'll be in the mix. Especially if we go to more of a zone read offense (which involves the QB running a great deal), we're going to need multiple QBs.

Welcome to the family Chris!

Big Official Visit Weekend

Since the last update to this thread, Duke picked up a commitment from safety Phillip Carter from Folsom, California. Carter had committed to SJSU and Coach MacIntyre, but opened things up when Mac left for Colorado. Carter will be in town this weekend, along with a total of 8 recruits - 4 commits, and 4 uncommitted. http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/01/b...ay-approaches/

Here's a little more on a few of them:

WR Ryan Smith: http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/01/b...fficial-visit/

OL Elijah George: http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/01/l...visit-to-duke/

S Deondre Singleton: http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/01/g...fficial-visit/

More to come...

Deondre Singleton commits!

Duke landed a commitment from safety Deondre Singleton this morning: http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/01/s...t-19-for-duke/

Kylen Towner is in town for his visit today: http://bluedevilnation.net/2013/01/s...visit-to-duke/