Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Welcome to Duke, 2013 QB Parker Boehme!

3 stars on Rivals, Scout and ESPN. 6'2 225 dual-threat QB from FL who runs a 4.48, benches 350, and reportedly had an offer from Auburn and strong interest from Oregon.

Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7UIqvqPyVI

Congrats and welcome to Parker.

Seems like a very nice pickup for Coach Cut. It will be interesting to see how Coach Cut utilizes the QB depth he's been accumulating; I've seen some talk about using 2 QB's on the field at the same time, with one under/behind center and an athletic QB lining up in the slot. Should make for some creative plays.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Congrats and welcome to Parker.

Seems like a very nice pickup for Coach Cut. It will be interesting to see how Coach Cut utilizes the QB depth he's been accumulating; I've seen some talk about using 2 QB's on the field at the same time, with one under/behind center and an athletic QB lining up in the slot. Should make for some creative plays.
    I thought I even read some talk from Cut about using 3 QB on the field at once.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Welcome to Duke, 2013 QB Parker Boehme!

3 stars on Rivals, Scout and ESPN. 6'2 225 dual-threat QB from FL who runs a 4.48, benches 350, and reportedly had an offer from Auburn and strong interest from Oregon.

Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7UIqvqPyVI
    Some nice words about Boehme in this recruiting write-up from the Winston-Salem Journal.

Boehme also had scholarship offers from Auburn, Oregon, Iowa State and South Florida among a group of at least 12 programs. He chose Duke because of the chance to learn under coach David Cutcliffe, who developed NFL quarterbacks such as Peyton and Eli Manning earlier in his career...

"Parker is the best football player in Jacksonville; maybe from Orlando up," Geis said. "Every once in a while he won't run a real good 40 time, but like I tell some of these coaches: 'You offered that guy, and Parker is running away from him.' Any quarterback in the state of Florida who runs for almost 1,000 yards in 8-A football is a good athlete."

QB/WR Tyler Douglas, 6'2" 190, has verballed to Duke. There is an article with details at Blue Devil Nation.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    QB/WR Tyler Douglas, 6'2" 190, has verballed to Duke. There is an article with details at Blue Devil Nation.
    QB/WR? With a 4.5 40, sounds like he's almost fast enough to throw passes to himself but at "only" 6'2" he is probably not quite tall enough!
    Thanks, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    QB/WR? With a 4.5 40, sounds like he's almost fast enough to throw passes to himself but at "only" 6'2" he is probably not quite tall enough!
    Thanks, Bob.
    He may be tall enough - if you check the cinder block totals.

This one came out of the blue in a sense. The coaches have been on their summer break of sorts before getting down to business, so recruiting news has been a little slow. There are not many people who are familiar with the latest addition. His speed listed was an all time best but clocke a second or two faster on the norm from what I am told.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    This one came out of the blue in a sense. The coaches have been on their summer break of sorts before getting down to business, so recruiting news has been a little slow. There are not many people who are familiar with the latest addition. His speed listed was an all time best but clocke a second or two faster on the norm from what I am told.
    Wait. A second or two or a tenth of a second or two? Makes quite a difference!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Wait. A second or two or a tenth of a second or two? Makes quite a difference!
    Yea, the difference between an elite FB recruit or having Ozzie or me as your RB or WR.

Here is a nice recruiting review from Patrick at BDN:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/07/b...f-2013-review/

Coach Cutcliffe and staff are in the process of securing a solid class.
    Bob Green

Duke Football Recruiting

^ Bob, I hope so. James Franklin just guided Vanderbilt to a bowl in his first year. He secured the #26 ranked class this past year (by the way, that is the #9 recruiting class in the SEC...wow). No reason why Duke can't do that. Vanderbilt has had comparable success since the 60's and, of course, and has to deal with the SEC. Another 3 win season, and Kevin White is going to start looking at his "list". Players need to get it done for Cut this year.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    ^ Bob, I hope so. James Franklin just guided Vanderbilt to a bowl in his first year. He secured the #26 ranked class this past year (by the way, that is the #9 recruiting class in the SEC...wow). No reason why Duke can't do that. Vanderbilt has had comparable success since the 60's and, of course, and has to deal with the SEC. Another 3 win season, and Kevin White is going to start looking at his "list". Players need to get it done for Cut this year.
    Well, Vandy is having an even better recruiting year this year - likely top 10 - with multiple four star recruits with offers from top programs.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    Vanderbilt has had comparable success since the 60's and, of course, and has to deal with the SEC.
    Is Vanderbilt playing in the SEC a drawback for recruiting? I'm sure Franklin is using this to his advantage actually. Many ACC coaches do this in basketball recruiting.

fallout from Penn St.

With the sanctions on PSU, I'm wondering if any recruits might decommit/transfer and head Duke's way. Not a whole lot of overlap, but a cursory look at PSU's commits who have/had Duke offers from the past few years:

2013:
    TE Adam Breneman (6'5" 230, Rivals 4-star)
    DE Garrett Sickels (6'4" 245, Rivals 4-star)
    WR/LB Zach Bradshaw (6'3" 205, Rivals 3-star)

2012:
    TE Brent Wilkerson (6'4" 245, Rivals 3-star)
    RB Akeel Lynch (6'0" 205, Rivals 3-star)

2011:
    ATH Bill Belton (5'9" 190, Rivals 4-star)
    LB Ben Kline (6'2" 220, Rivals 3-star)
    OT Ryan Nowicki (6'5" 270, Rivals 3-star)

2010:
    QB Robert Bolden (6'4" 195, Rivals 4-star)
    OG Luke Graham (6'5" 260, Rivals 3-star)
    OT Thomas Ricketts (6'6" 265, Rivals 4-star)

Any Recruits Recently Lost to PSU?

The BDN comment about going O'fer on Linebackers and TE's made me think...
    Did we have any near-misses recently with recruits choosing to go to PSU? Wondering if any of those might open up to recruitment again soon...
    As I understand, their players, given the new scholarship limits and sanctions, can transfer and play elsewhere right away.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Did we have any near-misses recently with recruits choosing to go to PSU? Wondering if any of those might open up to recruitment again soon...
    As I understand, their players, given the new scholarship limits and sanctions, can transfer and play elsewhere right away.
    Well, I hope we would go after some of the recruits, but as I understand it we are nearly out of scholarship space for 2013. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if one or two more spots open up from the typical decommits from so-called soft verbals.

Good timing Duke Sean, answering my question before I even posted it! Thanks.

What is the protocol re. re-recruiting kids like that? I'm sure Cut plays those things pretty straight, even in the fairly slimy world of FB recruiting.

Looking at your list, more than one of those kids could certainly fill an area of need for us. Hard to know how close we actually were/are with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    Well, I hope we would go after some of the recruits, but as I understand it we are nearly out of scholarship space for 2013. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if one or two more spots open up from the typical decommits from so-called soft verbals.
    We recently lost a scholarship player in Will Bryant but the NCAA is considering allowing schools to absorb the scholarships of Penn State players and not have them count against their scholarship limits.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...20723/21207234

Additionally, the NCAA is considering waiving scholarship limits for programs to which these football student-athletes transfer, provided they reduce proportionately in the next year. For example, the limit is 25 new scholarships per year to a total of 85 scholarships. If the limits are waived in 2012-13 to accommodate one Penn State student-athlete who wishes to transfer to a particular school already at the limits, in 2013-14 the school will be limited to 24 new scholarships and 84 total scholarships.

What is the protocol re. re-recruiting kids like that? I'm sure Cut plays those things pretty straight, even in the fairly slimy world of FB recruiting.
    My general observation is that it is really bad form to poach recruits in basketball. Football, not so much. As long as you don't pull a Lane Kiffin and take them with you when you leave.