Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    I don't know if anyone else felt this way, but I felt like this team didn't truly like each other.

I felt like the bigs and the guards were at odds, for obvious reasons. I can think of several instances where you had in-game tension.

That hurts overall team chemistry... and I think it might affect who comes back next year and who stays.

No fact or evidence, just observation and theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    Best explanation I've heard regarding this season is that Duke got an inflated start due to the summer trip. The trip got the team off to a fantastic start, but as the "field" caught up, the learning curve wasn't as sharp.

The team had amazing potential (see v. MSU or at Chapel Hill) and also had the potential to mysteriously seem lost. I wish I could say that the end of the season was a big surprise, but frankly it wasn't at all.

I liked this team. Austin really won me over during the course of the season with his improved decision-making. I really hope that he sticks around for another season with Coach K (his post-game comments about how the only part of the team that showed up was the coaching staff reflected his respect for them rather profoundly) and I think that both he and the team would benefit greatly.

This team had the potential to run the table if the shots had fallen and the cards had come up right, and I hate any season that ends in a loss (most of them do) but I am proud of this team. I am proud that Duke continues to recruit "Duke guys" and that the continue to win "the right way." Yesterday I proudly wore my Duke 1991 Champions shirt (I break it out on special occasions) and I was in downtown Asheville headed to work when a guy with two small kids pointed and said "hey, see that shirt?" His kid (maybe six years old) said "yeah?" He said "that means he's a good guy."

Go Duke. GTHC.

See you here for a long, long summer.
    I've been in a bit of a funk the past few days (had a bad day at work Friday followed by a really, really bad night - like everyone else on here), but reading this post proves that keeping a positive outlook and perspective goes a long way. THANK YOU!!

Looking forward to starting over next year hopefully with everyone on this year's team less Miles.

A Positive

Since venting is not allowed, I have been searching for something positive to say:

Our cheerleaders were better looking than theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Since venting is not allowed, I have been searching for something positive to say:

Our cheerleaders were better looking than theirs.
    Haha. Im glad Im not the only one to notice this. At one point in the game they zoomed in on the Lehigh cheerleaders and my father said, "Well Lehigh sure does have some sturdy cheerleaders."

McCollum is 5-18 right now against Xavier. Many open shots too. Guess its hard to channel your best game against Xavier, but its easy against Duke. Sigh.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    McCollum is 5-18 right now against Xavier. Many open shots too. Guess its hard to channel your best game against Xavier, but its easy against Duke. Sigh.
    Pretty much.

Remember what Derek Williams did the game after he played us?

5-13, 1-6 from 3 for 20 points.

Against Duke?

11-17, 5-6 from 3 for 32 points.

Sigh.

Isn't the answer obvious? Xavier is clearly a much better team than Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Isn't the answer obvious? Xavier is clearly a much better team than Duke.
    Honestly I think Xavier would have beaten Duke, too.

I think that Duke's road as a 2 seed was a nightmare. Lehigh was better than a 15 and Xavier is capable of being as good as a 3.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Honestly I think Xavier would have beaten Duke, too.

I think that Duke's road as a 2 seed was a nightmare. Lehigh was better than a 15 and Xavier is capable of being as good as a 3.
    The bigger issue was the fact, that without Kelly, Duke was just not a 2 Seed. If Kelly stays injury free, Duke likely plays UNC a 3rd time in the ACC Tourney w/o Henson and who knows who wins that game. Either way, with a fully healthy Kelly, Duke wins the game against Lehigh. With a healthy Kelly, Duke was a true 2 Seed, w/o him probably a 5 or even a 6 to be honest.

Should have beaten Lehigh anyway, but it really was a bad matchup for a Kelly-less Duke team. Throw in a continuation of a horrible shooting slump for Duke's remaining best shooters, and you get the nightmare.

Be thankful, that unlike some of us, you did not have to endure that loss surrounded by thousands of obnoxious, rude, vulgar, and obscene UNC fans. I hate the pod system. I do not think it affects the Duke players at all, but it ruins the experience for the Duke fans, as win or lose, the UNC fans there are horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    The bigger issue was the fact, that without Kelly, Duke was just not a 2 Seed. If Kelly stays injury free, Duke likely plays UNC a 3rd time in the ACC Tourney w/o Henson and who knows who wins that game. Either way, with a fully healthy Kelly, Duke wins the game against Lehigh. With a healthy Kelly, Duke was a true 2 Seed, w/o him probably a 5 or even a 6 to be honest.

Should have beaten Lehigh anyway, but it really was a bad matchup for a Kelly-less Duke team. Throw in a continuation of a horrible shooting slump for Duke's remaining best shooters, and you get the nightmare.

Be thankful, that unlike some of us, you did not have to endure that loss surrounded by thousands of obnoxious, rude, vulgar, and obscene UNC fans. I hate the pod system. I do not think it affects the Duke players at all, but it ruins the experience for the Duke fans, as win or lose, the UNC fans there are horrible.
    Yea glad I didn't waste my time or money on that. It wouldn't have been enjoyable even with a win.

Kelly being healthy would have definitely guaranteed a win against Lehigh, but I still think Xavier would have beaten them. My hope was that Duke was able to play Notre Dame, who they match up better with, fearing a matchup with Xavier. I was also cautiously approaching Lehigh, knowing they had McCollum and how Duke always seems to get the best effort out of these scorers.

I'm sorry, but enough is enough. We had two weeks to prepare without Kelly. If you consider yourself an elite program, which I'm sure everyone on here feels Duke is, then you need to overcome obstacles, which happen from time to time.

There are 13 players on this team and Todd is the only walk-on. We have two other kids redshirting so that leaves 9 players who should have been able to step-up and get a win over a 15 seed.

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I'm sorry, but enough is enough. We had two weeks to prepare without Kelly. If you consider yourself an elite program, which I'm sure everyone on here feels Duke is, then you need to overcome obstacles, which happen from time to time.

There are 13 players on this team and Todd is the only walk-on. We have two other kids redshirting so that leaves 9 players who should have been able to step-up and get a win over a 15 seed.
    ...In other news, Xavier's guards guarded McCollum, causing Lehigh to score 58? points as the dominating Xavier team beat the unbeatable Lehigh.

Duke did prepare- they just did not execute. Can't win if you can't hit shots.

McCollum was 9-24 for a scintillating 37% against us, so he didn't exactly light it up, despite the post game hype.

I'm just now able to discuss the game. What's needed to be said has been said by others.

However, I did not notice any credit being given to the Lehigh fans who came up with a great sign in the crowd.

It read, "We are ridiculous Lehigh".

Despite the tense game, that made me laugh out loud.

"Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Of course, I am disppointed about the loss, and it is doubly painful that it was Lehigh, my college's (Lafayette) arch rival. I can't offer much in the way of comments about the game since only saw a portion of the first half, recorded the second, and did not watch after learning the results. What I saw did not look good. I think they missed Kelly tremendously and could not figure out how to gel on either end of the floor without him. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the ups of the season - Hawaii, Miles' big rebound game, Austin's dagger in UNC's heart, and all the great road wins. The downs, not suprisingly not so much. Thank you, Miles, for being a model Duke student athlete (not to mention your huge play in the 2010 NC game to save a possession).

Looking forward to next season already. In the meantime, rooting for NC State and every other underdog - basically ABC and ABK.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I don't know if anyone else felt this way, but I felt like this team didn't truly like each other.

I felt like the bigs and the guards were at odds, for obvious reasons. I can think of several instances where you had in-game tension.

That hurts overall team chemistry... and I think it might affect who comes back next year and who stays.

No fact or evidence, just observation and theory.
    I feel the same way and have said as much in this thread. It was very apparent in the demeanor of several of our players, and I have my own suspicions about the source(s) of the tension.

Who saw the end of the Kansas game last night? That's a team that looks like the players would run through walls for each other and has an incredible will to win.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Let the church say Amen! I totally concur!!!

This team started practicing in, I think, July to prepare for the China/Dubai trip. So that's about 8 months practicing and playing with Ryan Kelly. They had 11 days from the time he was injured to the Lehigh game. As others have pointed out Duke really does not have another player on the roster with Ryan's skill set. It was not a simply a matter of plugging in a player who could do the same things Ryan could just not as well and asking the rest to step up to negate the slight drop off. But of course that was just a tiny obstacle and Duke should have had no problem overcoming that.

I'm curious to see what UNC looks like if they have to play without Marshall. Then maybe posters on here (not just you ncexnyc) down on this team for not overcoming the loss of Kelly can acknowledge he was a little more important than we all thought.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    This team started practicing in, I think, July to prepare for the China/Dubai trip. So that's about 8 months practicing and playing with Ryan Kelly. They had 11 days from the time he was injured to the Lehigh game. As others have pointed out Duke really does not have another player on the roster with Ryan's skill set. It was not a simply a matter of plugging in a player who could do the same things Ryan could just not as well and asking the rest to step up to negate the slight drop off. But of course that was just a tiny obstacle and Duke should have had no problem overcoming that.

I'm curious to see what UNC looks like if they have to play without Marshall. Then maybe posters on here (not just you ncexnyc) down on this team for not overcoming the loss of Kelly can acknowledge he was a little more important than we all thought.
    Of course I'd like to remind you that they've already lost two players to season ending injuries.

Granted they were early on and therefore the heels had more time to regroup, but still they've managed to get the job done.

As for the Marshall injury, I think it's a bit of a stretch to compare his value to the heels and Ryan's value to ours. Marshall should have been 1st team ACC and since he took over as their PG last year they've improved drastically.

For whatever reason we failed to get the ball to Josh, Mason, and Miles on the pick and rolls. While Knundson was a solid counter to one of our bigs we clearly had a size advantage we failed to properly exploit.