Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    wow...they were stealing our signs? that's a baseball thing...but interesting to see someone doing it in bball
    That's really interesting. If that's within the rules (I assume it is), why don't we try some of that? Or at least try to negate it as an opponent's strategy?

This sort of reminds me of the end of John Smoltz's career in - was it Boston - where he got lit up, and later, after briefly signing with another team (Cardinals?) he was informed that he had been tipping his pitches.

The Old Celtics

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    That's really interesting. If that's within the rules (I assume it is), why don't we try some of that? Or at least try to negate it as an opponent's strategy?

This sort of reminds me of the end of John Smoltz's career in - was it Boston - where he got lit up, and later, after briefly signing with another team (Cardinals?) he was informed that he had been tipping his pitches.
    Red Auerbach's last book, written with Feinstein, had a story about the old Celtics and their six or so basic plays. Everyone in the league knew them cold, so Red decided to go to a different system for calling the plays. The Celtics, it turns out, were totally confused by the new system, so they went back to the old system where the opponents knew what was coming -- and they still couldn't stop the Celtics.

sagegrouse

Can anyone provide a link to last nights post game presser? didnt get the chance to watch it. Thanks

Couldn't resist...I had to make a video about Hitler learning that Duke lost to Lehigh.

hoping that laughter can make us all feel a bit better... pm me if you want the link to it. (Rated R due to language)

Udaman
    Last edited by Newton_14; 03-17-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: edited per request from OP

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Red Auerbach's last book, written with Feinstein, had a story about the old Celtics and their six or so basic plays. Everyone in the league knew them cold, so Red decided to go to a different system for calling the plays. The Celtics, it turns out, were totally confused by the new system, so they went back to the old system where the opponents knew what was coming -- and they still couldn't stop the Celtics.

sagegrouse
    It would (have been) wonderful if we were so good this year that it didn't matter if Lehigh or FSU etc. knew what was coming. But we weren't so great (see my post about our national rankings in assists, rebounds, FT%, steals, etc), so we needed every advantage we could get, including the ability to negate the opponent's strategies.

That said, I could see how we'd be confused if we constantly changed up our signals. At times we seemed confused enough already.

This tangent kind of reminds me of how our FB team constantly looked to the sideline for just about every play ... while it seemed like at least some of the better ones (Stanford?), the QB had the ability to call from the huddle.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Too young to remember Goose Givens in Dallas, I conclude.
    See: Pervis Ellison, Louisville, 1986

I have nothing of substance to add. I was just happy to see the boards back up so I could console myself with friends. I have moped around all day. Thanks, Miles. Not how I wanted to see you go out!

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Really? I'm not trying to be offensive....just voicing my frustrations through a video parody. I actually liked our team this year. They weren't as talented as other years, which made the games more fun (I was never sure if we would win or not, in most of our close games).
    kville33 may be talking about the f-bombs and other obscenities in your parody. DBR follows the "grandmother" rule if you look at the posting guidelines.

A good Hitler parody though will still get me laughing if someone can come up with really clever subtitles for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    Well then things are completely out of whack if a season is viewed as a disappointing one if you don't make the final four. UK has already had a terrific season in my opinion.
    Tell that to John Calipari, Ashley Judd and all those Blue fans and you will see how wrong you are if Kentucky fails to make the Final 4.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    kville33 may be talking about the f-bombs and other obscenities in your parody. DBR follows the "grandmother" rule if you look at the posting guidelines.

A good Hitler parody though will still get me laughing if someone can come up with really clever subtitles for it.
    Oh yikes! I didn't mean that. I'll edit the post and take out the link. If anyone wants to see it, PM me and I'll send you the link.

Oh yikes! I didn't mean that. I'll edit the post and take out the link. If anyone wants to see it, PM me and I'll send you the link.
    It won't let me edit the post. Moderators - if you think the video is too harsh, please edit it out and let people PM me if they want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post

I think the fans unrealistic expectations are what need some work.
    It's not unrealistic to expect a victory over a 15 seed from the Patriot League. This was the most humiliating loss of the K era at Duke.

Regarding play selection and scouting, it seems Duke was only using half a dozen plays too... If you see a Plumlee standing at the top of the key, it's pretty obvious what's coming next... Seriously, Duke is on TV enough that I think it's pretty easy for opponents to get all the game recordings they need to prep, especially in the digital era.

Overall, the more I think about it, the more I believe this season was one of Coach K's better efforts, last night's upset notwithstanding. As noted by a lot of posters, the team was missing some major pieces to be complete. He built the team around the Plumlees taking care of the boards and giving some inside production, Austin's offense, and 3 point shooting from whomever happened to be hitting that night. Not a whole lot of margin for error in that recipe.

Statistically, our 3 point shooting isn't THAT much of a strength, with a season percentage of .371 good for a rank somewhere around 50 in D-1. Individually, Ryan is the best, shooting at .408, and everyone else in the mid to high 30s (at least above the "Mendoza line" of 33%). Looking at the national stats, you need 43% to make the top 100 individually, and close to 49% to make the top 10. So when the 3-pointers weren't falling last night, I was perplexed when some players backed up even further and kept on jacking them.

I think the lack of quality point guard was the biggest missing piece. I hadn't looked closely at the stats until today, and I was surprised to see that no one averaged more than 2.4 assists a game. I'll have to do some more browsing to see when was the last time a Duke team leader's assist average was so low. In his comments about McCollum last night, Coach K said, "Him being on the floor makes everybody better. So if we could have fouled him out or got him into foul trouble, that would have been the best strategy because he just makes people better. "

My questions: Who is the guy (or will be the guy next season) who will "just make people better?" It's yet another way to think about chemistry. Who's the "glue guy"? And who is the guy who will spread the ball around and make sure it's going where it needs to be? Like everyone else, I've seen plenty of times where it looked like the bigs had their guy sealed but didn't get the ball for whatever reason. I'm fine with that if the ball is going somewhere else and creating opportunities for others, but when a guard is just standing there dribbling the air out of the ball, then he's the wrong guy with it.

This season brought some unforgettable highlights, and the team had some nice wins, and a great win for the ages. For next season, let's see who comes and who goes, and how the team fits together. Every season and every team is different, and I'm confident that Coack K will figure out how to get the most of whatever the kids bring to the table. And maybe he'll come up with a new wrinkle or two after coaching the Olympics again.

P.S. Mrs. Turk is a Lehigh grad, so there's some silver lining for me. And she said, "If Lehigh was going to win, why couldn't it have been Carolina?"
    "Quality is not an option!"

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Tell that to John Calipari, Ashley Judd and all those Blue fans and you will see how wrong you are if Kentucky fails to make the Final 4.
    I think I'm seeing a trend here. If your lens is the UK fanbase, you most assuredly have your priorities out of whack. As a litmus test, they're completely - um - whacked.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    It's not unrealistic to expect a victory over a 15 seed from the Patriot League. This was the most humiliating loss of the K era at Duke.
    "Expecting" a victory is a warning that you may have inflated expectations.

-jk

It's unrealistic to EXPECT a victory over anybody. This post unnecessarily demeans a VERY good lehigh team.

WHen you expect victory, the basketball gods punish you.

I'm not sure fans should be the judge of humiliating. It's not the fan's necks that are out on the line. ITs the coaches and players. If they can come out and say we fought, then I think its very conceited for a fan to come out and say it was humiliating. The players play to win games, not to fulfill your expectations and allow you to be smug at victory or humiliated in defeat.

Tell me this, would you go up to the team and players and tell them they should be humiliated at their loss? Don't do it here either. I'm darn proud to be a duke fan, I'm proud of our team, and they should be proud of themselves, never humiliated.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    My questions: Who is the guy (or will be the guy next season) who will "just make people better?" It's yet another way to think about chemistry. Who's the "glue guy"? And who is the guy who will spread the ball around and make sure it's going where it needs to be?
    If Austin comes back we could find ourselves blessed with two guys who do that for us next year: Quinn and Austin.

Austin made a big improvement throughout the course of the year in terms of general court vision and seeing the defensive rotations, but he still has a lot more upside in his ability to get the defense out of position and get baskets for other players, not just himself. I would expects his assists per minute to go up significantly next year.

And a healthy Quinn with a year of experience and a good offseason could be the true point who can regularly get 6 assists per game and get the bigs the ball in positions where they can easily capitalize on it.

I beg to differ. The Patriot League has sent a couple dangerous teams. If memory serves, Bucknell beat Kansas and Arkansas.

As for humiliating losses, my vote goes still to the legendary opening round game in the 1983 ACC tournament, when UVA beat Duke 109-66, where Coach K gave the "Here's to NEVER forgetting tonight" quote.

http://dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag...tysixers1.html

And I would say it wasn't even the worst loss this season. The spanking by Ohio State and UNC in Cameron were worse. Last night Duke played hard, but not just not tough enough to grind out a win...
    "Quality is not an option!"

Hmmmm... I've always heard that the standard-bearer for that title was the home loss to Wagner early in his tenure. I don't know enough about Wagner then, but Lehigh had the 4th leading scorer in the country, and we already had not been playing very well ... I think I beg to differ, pending further information.

It won't let me edit the post. Moderators - if you think the video is too harsh, please edit it out and let people PM me if they want to see it.
    This was hysterical. Very well done