Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 70, Lehigh 75 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here. Venting and or bashing posts will incur 5 point infractions resulting in immediate 48 hour suspension of your posting privileges.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I will forever be a Duke fan!

This offense suffered greatly with the loss of Ryan.

October can't get here soon enough!

Never feels good to go out early, but Lehigh really worked for and earned the win. They could get another win Sunday.

Thanks for representing us all year team. I think if anything you over achieved for much of the season and injuries u fortunatly bite us again.

Congratulations to Lehigh on a hard fought victory. I hated to see Miles Plumlee end his career with a 1st Round exit as he has been an integral part of the team for four years and I was hoping for a couple more victory celebrations before we had to say good bye to the big guy. The sun will rise tomorrow morning and I'll be wearing my Duke sweat shirt like normal.
    Bob Green

I'm just really sorry it's over for these guys. The better team won today. Duke had a great season and unfortunately will likely be remembered more for the final game.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I'm just really sorry it's over for these guys. The better team won today. Duke had a great season and unfortunately will likely be remembered more for the final game.
    Please explain to me how this was a,"great ", season. Was it a good season, probably if you say we won 27 games. It was a great season up right after Coach K reached his milestone against MSU. After that No, No.

We only beat 2 good teams after that, UNC and FSU. We lost 3 homes to ACC opponents. Did UNC lose any home games..I do not know the answer ?

No I am sorry to disagree with you Duke did not have a great season. When you do not win the conference championship, do not win the ACC tournament and lose to a 15 seed, I would say that Duke had a disappointing season.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Did UNC lose any home games..I do not know the answer ?
    I guess you don't remember that great comeback in Chapel Hill

Quote Originally Posted by zack2014 View Post
    I guess you don't remember that great comeback in Chapel Hill
    Whoops...Forgot Sorry...Did they lose any other ?

Whoops...Forgot Sorry...Did they lose any other ?
    Im pretty sure that was their only loss.

Well, at least Elmore won't have us to kick around any more.
    I'll bet he's bummed that 3/4 of his schtick is over for this season.

Does Coach K have to take any responsibility?

While it might sound sacreligious to even ask, but I will anyway. We had about 1 week to prepare for Lehigh ad everyone knew or should have known what a terrific player McComber, ( probably spelling it wrong) is. Wasn't there a defensive scheme to set up to try and negate him. Obviously I am not a coach and my knowledge of coaching basketball is extremely limited, but if one player on the opposing team is so dominant, then you have to make some defensive adjustments to try and limit him.

Secondly, Duke lived and died with the 3 and last night it was not working, so why not at half time come up with another offensive scheme?

For that matter, in the week of preparation shouldn't the coaches have had an alternate if the 3s were not working?

While it might sound sacreligious to even ask, but I will anyway. We had about 1 week to prepare for Lehigh ad everyone knew or should have known what a terrific player McComber, ( probably spelling it wrong) is. Wasn't there a defensive scheme to set up to try and negate him. Obviously I am not a coach and my knowledge of coaching basketball is extremely limited, but if one player on the opposing team is so dominant, then you have to make some defensive adjustments to try and limit him.

Secondly, Duke lived and died with the 3 and last night it was not working, so why not at half time come up with another offensive scheme?

For that matter, in the week of preparation shouldn't the coaches have had an alternate if the 3s were not working?
    If I'm not mistaken Coach K took the blame in his post game interview for the offense being being bad last night. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken Coach K took the blame in his post game interview for the offense being being bad last night. GoDuke!
    He is one of the classiest coaches around but I thought that in having one week to prepare and knowing what an outstanding player he was going to oppose he might have devised something better to stop him. Had he we would be talking about Duke-Xavier now

He is one of the classiest coaches around but I thought that in having one week to prepare and knowing what an outstanding player he was going to oppose he might have devised something better to stop him. Had he we would be talking about Duke-Xavier now
    Coach K is going to play man to man and that's not going to change. So I guess the only change he could have made was the way we hege on picks. We just don't have the guy to stop dribble penetration. Especially a player like McCollum. When we use Austin as thatguy he seems to get worn down. GoDuke!

Just because one has a scheme to beat a team does not mean the players will be able to do it...and ultimately we weren't able to stop players from driving all season, and they weren't going to magically start being able to do it against CJ.
    1200. DDMF.

Whenever a team loses- a coach takes full responsibility. I am sure this loss is killing K and it will motivate him for next season. This team had some fundamental flaws but they had managed to find a fragile chemistry that worked during the season. We now saw how important Kelly was this year for Duke. The guy is bad matchup for most teams and stretches the D. Without him, Duke plays different. They did not have enough games without him to really prepare. Lehigh is a very solid team and Duke did not handle the moment well- a sign of a team that lacks confidence because it is not whole. K made some mistakes yesterday as did his players. Time to regroup and start fresh next year. They will get better over the summer and will be motivated and the addition of some new players- a few who already know the system. All I know is that Duke will again play hard next year and will win 20+ games and make the tourney. The hope is they are hot at the end of the year and not limping into the post season.

All fair questions.

As we've discussed all season long a guard like C.J. is poison to us. This kid isn't a fluke, one of the writers on SI did an article breaking down each region and the players to watch, he made specific mention of C.J.

I'm not sure there's much you can do to change your offensive gameplan, especially once you're in the middle of the game if your pieces are limited, which for this team they were.

I fully agree with point #3, which brings me to the Kelly injury and how badly it was diagnosed. We went from, "day to day", to something which seems a lot more serious. Was this some of the, "gamesmanship", which we discussed last year in regards to Irving's injury? I do think we could have made better use of Hairston. One of Dre's best plays last night was the pick and roll he ran with Josh. That shot was there all night, but we only used it once, granted Josh had several other shots and didn't convert, but they were all clean looks and didn't require the guards to pound the ball looking for difficult shots. Dre actually seemed to get huge lift when he made that pass.

Does Coach K have to take any responsibility?
    The players were very gracious in blaming themselves, but personally I was frustrated with the choices made by the coaching staff pertaining to our offensive scheme over the season as a whole. It was not Lehigh in particular, although the chickens came home to roost with respect to our offensive scheme last night. I am sure the coaches did their usual excellent job in scouting Lehigh and running practices this past week.

And I am not saying Coach K is not the best coach in the land or that I would trade him for anyone else. But I thought we left some potential on the table this year, more so than any year in recent memory.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    But I thought we left some potential on the table this year, more so than any year in recent memory.
    Really? The key word for this squad is "over-achieved." Outside of Rivers there is very little effective athleticism at the guard spots, and at those same spots they couldn't pass, making the post players less able to be effective. The talent level on this team should realistically have ceilinged out at a #2 seed, which we got, but when the players aren't making shots and refuse to make good passes, there's nothing in the scheme that can change that.

I really hope State wins this freaking tournament. I love that team.