Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duke addition of Jeff Capel on the coaching staff

So last spring/summer Coach Capel was added to the staff following two losing seasons at OSU. I wondered at the time how that would affect the synergy of the coaching staff...what would Capel bring and what would Duke lose with Nate James no longer being on the court. Any thoughts? Is it a good thing that Capel sits mid-team on the bench? How has he effected the coaching and how has that impacted the 2011-12 Blue Devils?

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    So last spring/summer Coach Capel was added to the staff following two losing seasons at OSU. I wondered at the time how that would affect the synergy of the coaching staff...what would Capel bring and what would Duke lose with Nate James no longer being on the court. Any thoughts? Is it a good thing that Capel sits mid-team on the bench? How has he effected the coaching and how has that impacted the 2011-12 Blue Devils?
    It seems like you're implying that the addition of Coach Capel somehow factored in our end season disappointment (after what had been overall a successful season). This is an incredible reach, do we really have to go to these lengths to find things that are supposedly wrong with our program? Sometimes, your team is very well prepared and just loses. Coach Capel seemed like a very positive presence all season long. Also, Coach Capel previously coached at Oklahoma (OU), not OSU. And Coach James is still on the staff.

There is a rather tall guy who would pass for a twin of Nate's who is there every game...

I don't know how anyone could answer that question. You seem to be implying that adding Capel was a negative since you made sure to mention that Capel had two consecutive losing seasons. What about the season that OU made a run in the NCAA tournament. Does that suggest anything positive about Coach Capel's abilities?

perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by billoz View Post
    There is a rather tall guy who would pass for a twin of Nate's who is there every game...
    1st that was the thought at the start of the year, as it was made clear he wouldn't be on the bench, 2nd I may have missed him on the bench, but am certain that the few times I've seen the bench, he wasn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    I don't know how anyone could answer that question. You seem to be implying that adding Capel was a negative since you made sure to mention that Capel had two consecutive losing seasons. What about the season that OU made a run in the NCAA tournament. Does that suggest anything positive about Coach Capel's abilities?
    Clearly there are some DBR members who have greater access to the program than just an avid fan does and was hoping someone has picked up nuance, Duke did less of x and more of y this year versus last...there are a great many areas wherein a new coach could impact the team: offense, defense, bring new plays, chemistry, attitude, energy...a myriad of ways. And yes, I think the circumstance of Coach Capel's arrival at Duke may have had some effect...doesn't make him incompetent, a bad guy, or anything else. I simply am curious as to the impact others may believe he had. It is not routine to add a assistant coach to the Duke staff, let alone a prior head coach, so should be worth discussing if anyone has insight.

The only thing I can add to this conversation is that I heard one of the other coaches say at one point during the season that Capel has had more of an "observer" role this year. I don't think he supplants Collins or Wojo with any sort of decision-making. How he falls in the pecking order relative to Nate, I don't really know.

I don't see Capel being here for the long haul. He'll get another job and move on, his name is already being mentioned around the SMU job (not bad now that they are Big East bound). I think we'll be seeing Laettner or Paulos back in Durham one of these days, they are both wanting to get into coaching and K likes staying in the family.

Quote Originally Posted by kingboozer View Post
    I think we'll be seeing Laettner or Paulos back in Durham one of these days, they are both wanting to get into coaching and K likes staying in the family.
    I, for one, would welcome our mathematical overlord and a more quantitative approach to the game. Seriously, though, why not court JWill over GP?

As for Mr. "The Shot", well, there's some baggage from failed business dealings. I bet he could bring a lot of BB knowledge to the table though. I would have loved to have had him working with Ryan and the MPs these last few years rather than in real estate.

No, that's his body double

Quote Originally Posted by billoz View Post
    Nate is such a badass that he doesn't have to be there in person.

... How has [Capel] effected the coaching and how has that impacted the 2011-12 Blue Devils?
    I fairly certain Jeff hasn't effected any of the coaching. I'd give credit to Butters, but coaching already existed back then too, so it all depends on how narrowly you want to define the word.

I think there have been some chemistry issues this year (as may be born out by a number of comments, both from players and coaches). There is also a fair amount of teaching that needed to be done, relative to some other years. I think bringing in Coach Capel, and having him sit among the players to teach and to push, was definitely a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I think there have been some chemistry issues this year (as may be born out by a number of comments, both from players and coaches). There is also a fair amount of teaching that needed to be done, relative to some other years. I think bringing in Coach Capel, and having him sit among the players to teach and to push, was definitely a good move.
    Not doubting you LA, but do you have specific examples of these comments?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

If nothing else I've loved the addition of Capel to the staff, because he is far and away the best interview of any of our coaches. Very forthright and totally unafraid to step outside the safety zone of coachspeak.

I've always assumed his stay here would be relatively short though. He's got nearly 200 wins as a head coach - someone is bound to snap him up.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I, for one, would welcome our mathematical overlord and a more quantitative approach to the game. Seriously, though, why not court JWill over GP?

As for Mr. "The Shot", well, there's some baggage from failed business dealings. I bet he could bring a lot of BB knowledge to the table though. I would have loved to have had him working with Ryan and the MPs these last few years rather than in real estate.
    I think Jason Williams would be a great addition to the staff. He was one of the better guards in college basketball history, when he speaks on television or radio it sounds like he really understands the game, and I suspect he would be a good recruiter as well.

I like Christian quite a bit. His toughness, intensity, knowledge of big man play, will to win, and intelligence are, I think, at a very high level. Yes, he has some difficult times ahead with the legal issues, but if he gets those resolved amicably I would like to see Duke attempt to hire him. Yes, he is a polarizing figure, but so is Coach K.

1st that was the thought at the start of the year, as it was made clear he wouldn't be on the bench, 2nd I may have missed him on the bench, but am certain that the few times I've seen the bench, he wasn't there.
    I just did a google image search for "Duke bench 2012" and guess who I saw?
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stealth View Post
    This is an incredible reach, do we really have to go to these lengths to find things that are supposedly wrong with our program? Sometimes, your team is very well prepared and just loses.

I agree completely. I don't understand why after the season we have we have to look for huge reasons for a loss. Coach Capel, chemistry, this guy wants to transfer, this guy wants to transfer, this guy shouldn't have redshirted, this guy should have started, this guy should be in the ACC, blah, blah, blah. It's just plain pathetic.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I know the original poster didn't imply all of this. Did Capel make a difference this year? I hope so and I hope in a positive way.

Agree completely!

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    If nothing else I've loved the addition of Capel to the staff, because he is far and away the best interview of any of our coaches. Very forthright and totally unafraid to step outside the safety zone of coachspeak.
    He is just so EXCELLENT in the post-game radio program!

I find it hard to believe that someone with his level of coaching experience has had no effect on the team. Why would K have wanted him on the staff? I doubt K would think it would be good for Capel or the current Duke team for him to be just a babysitter for a couple of years.

Whenever you fail in any endeavor it's only right that you look for answers why.

However, since Coach Capel was put in the middle of the bench by Coach K himself, I think that speaks volumes on how Coach K about Coach Capel's teaching and communication skills.

I'm positive that Coach K and his staff are already in the process of reviewing the season and discussing what went wrong and what went right and how to correct any problems they may come up with.

I hardly think having Jeff Capel sitting in this year has been a problem. I do think the Duke coaching bench is in desperate need of some fresh blood. The entire staff comes from the K-School and while that is a great institution it is not the only one. A different perspective is just what this group needs to keep it at it optimum performance. If I were Coach K, I would pat Wojo and Chris on the head and push them out of the nest. If Jeff wants to stay on another year that's great but otherwise I would hire someone that will challenge the system. I don't get that at all from Wojo or Chris. They have only seen things one way in their careers.

Remember the year that Jim Boeheim (excuse my spelling) assisted K with the Olympic team? We actually used a zone defense on occasion.