Good Stuff that Happened in 2011-2012

Lots of good things happened this season that we Duke fans, the team, and the coaches can be proud of.

I have a few in mind, but I'll start with just one:

Duke 85, UNC 84. The most exciting Duke victory in the 140+ games between Duke and UNC, and the signature basketball game of 2012 across all of college basketball.

Why? Well-played, fast-paced game. Two top-ten teams. Duke an underdog. At Chapel Hill. Making up ten-point deficit in 2:30. Winning it at (after?) the buzzer on a three point shot by a freshman over the ACC player of the year. Tying UNC for the lead in the ACC.

There is a lot more to remember positively about the season. who's next?

sagegrouse

Undefeated in ACC road games.

903!

The 20 point comeback against NC State is one of my top 3 moments of the year.
    Loved the fight in that team that night.

The glorious week that was Maui. Tyler Thornton!

dm_111123_ncb_duke_hotn_2.jpg

Madison Square Garden victories over Washington and future national champion Michigan State

If the world really will end on December 21, people will probably forget we lost to a 15 seed. Except life forms on other planets who pick up our teevee signals years from now. Hope they won't be watching cbs.

Also, not having to play kentucky.

I found a $20 bill on the sidewalk.

But then I felt sad.

Hey, I Know You Guys!

This year I got to put faces with names for many DBR posters, meeting Oz, CBB, DevilDeac, Bob Green, TNT Devil, Greg Newton, Newton14, DitBD, Watzone and many others at two football tailgates. Good peeps all. And the food was go-o-o-d!

sage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I found a $20 bill on the sidewalk.

But then I felt sad.
    If it would make you feel better, I could take it for you...

Sage - terrific string idea. Thank you. We needed this reminder.

My additions: 1. 66-63, Kerlina not winning the ACCT (at the hands of another FSU loss).

1a. 90-57, NC goes down in historic fashion at FSU on Jan. 14th. Boy that felt good!!

But that Austin Rivers shot at Chappa Heeeeel, that will be a favorite of mine for a long, long time!!!

top 10 moments

great thread ... there were some great moments in 2012. My top 10 (Letterman style). The first two are enjoying an opponents misery (since they are currently enjoying ours so much:

10. UNC loses to FSU in the ACC Tournament finals.
    9. UNC loses by 33 in Tallahassee and in an act of abject cowardice/stupidity (it has to be one or the other) Roy abandons his walk-ons to the mob.
    8. Watching Austin play all season. He was ACC player of the week nine times, most of any player in Duke history (and third most in ACC history), ACC rookie of the year (just the third under coach K) and the first freshman first-team All-ACC pick in Duke history.
    7. The 3-0 sweep vs. Va Tech. Just a personal thing, but they are most most annoying ACC opponent in recent years (surpassing Maryland). Loved sweeping Seth and the boys.
    6. Duke's great win in Tallahassee after losing that hearbreaker to them in Durham.
    5. The 8-0 ACC road record.
    4. The 20-point comback in 11:33 against N.C. State in Cameron. Just wow!
    3. Three wins over big-time programs in Maui. Tennessee (which just missed the NCAA), Michigan (a No. 4 NCAA seed) and Kansas (a No. 2 NCAA seed) on back-to-back nights with Ryan Kelly earning MVP honors. In the end, the Maui title was the only championship this team won.
    2. Coach K's 903rd win -- in Madison Square Garden over Michigan State. Who knew that Michigan State would end up a No. 1 NCAA seed? But we did know that K was going to get the record got alltime wins at some point his season, so it lacks the drama factor of:
    1. Austin Rivers nails Carolina at the buzzer. What a great moment ... two top 10 teams fighting for the ACC lead ... UNC blowing a 10 point lead in just over two minutes to play. The joy of the Duke players conttrasted with the consternation of UNC fans in the Smith Center -- that will get me through some long, hot nights this spring and summer.

Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Lots of good things happened this season that we Duke fans, the team, and the coaches can be proud of.

I have a few in mind, but I'll start with just one:

Duke 85, UNC 84. The most exciting Duke victory in the 140+ games between Duke and UNC, and the signature basketball game of 2012 across all of college basketball.

Why? Well-played, fast-paced game. Two top-ten teams. Duke an underdog. At Chapel Hill. Making up ten-point deficit in 2:30. Winning it at (after?) the buzzer on a three point shot by a freshman over the ACC player of the year. Tying UNC for the lead in the ACC.

There is a lot more to remember positively about the season. who's next?

sagegrouse
    Great thread. Thanks for starting this. I will be remembering that game and shot for a long time, as my change in avatar has indicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    great thread ... there were some great moments in 2012. My top 10 (Letterman style). The first two are enjoying an opponents misery (since they are currently enjoying ours so much:

10. UNC loses to FSU in the ACC Tournament finals.
    9. UNC loses by 33 in Tallahassee and in an act of abject cowardice/stupidity (it has to be one or the other) Roy abandons his walk-ons to the mob.
    8. Watching Austin play all season. He was ACC player of the week nine times, most of any player in Duke history (and third most in ACC history), ACC rookie of the year (just the third under coach K) and the first freshman first-team All-ACC pick in Duke history.
    7. The 3-0 sweep vs. Va Tech. Just a personal thing, but they are most most annoying ACC opponent in recent years (surpassing Maryland). Loved sweeping Seth and the boys.
    6. Duke's great win in Tallahassee after losing that hearbreaker to them in Durham.
    5. The 8-0 ACC road record.
    4. The 20-point comback in 11:33 against N.C. State in Cameron. Just wow!
    3. Three wins over big-time programs in Maui. Tennessee (which just missed the NCAA), Michigan (a No. 4 NCAA seed) and Kansas (a No. 2 NCAA seed) on back-to-back nights with Ryan Kelly earning MVP honors. In the end, the Maui title was the only championship this team won.
    2. Coach K's 903rd win -- in Madison Square Garden over Michigan State. Who knew that Michigan State would end up a No. 1 NCAA seed? But we did know that K was going to get the record got alltime wins at some point his season, so it lacks the drama factor of:
    1. Austin Rivers nails Carolina at the buzzer. What a great moment ... two top 10 teams fighting for the ACC lead ... UNC blowing a 10 point lead in just over two minutes to play. The joy of the Duke players conttrasted with the consternation of UNC fans in the Smith Center -- that will get me through some long, hot nights this spring and summer.
    Fabulous list. I would add, though not necessarily ahead of any of your top ten, getting to watch coach K and the staff try to figure out how best to use the players at his disposal, watching another group of fine young players to see how they improved from the previous year, or see how they develop as freshmen. Other things I would add include watching Miles' Zoubekian stretch during his final games in a Duke uniform, seeing Mason figure out his free throw shooting, seeing one of the great freshmen seasons in Duke history, seeing Josh make some great progress towards being a dependable rotation player, seeing Marshall's Blue Planet videos, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Being There
    I was just going through my photos and realized that the quality of this one is better, but why the heck does the MSG scoreboard say Kansas instead of Michigan State? I know the next game was between Kentucky and Kansas, but still this is bizarre and quite annoying.

IMG_1870.jpg
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016