Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    GoD
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Lehigh's a good team and made some plays, so we first have to credit their focus.

You know what's coming from me... what I've been predicting and saying all year...No commitment to feeding the inside and lack of back to the basket post offense caught up with Duke on a poor shooting night.

I have great respect for coach K, but it's been obvious, at least to me, that Duke needed to loosen up the perimiter by feeding the post to create the balance necessary to be an elite team.
    It seemed coach K saw it too, but he never got this team to do it consistently.

Duke could not manufacture points by feeding the post effectively all year. Duke could score inside, but if you look back this season, very few plays inside resulting in scores began with a post player having his back to the basket. Watch the teams that continue on in the tourney and you will see the best teams looking to feed the back to the basket post players in close games, creating oportunities and forcing defenses to pack it in.

This Duke weakness allowed teams to stick to the shooters and force more contested shots, especially the ones off the dribble, which are tougher than those spot up jumpers Duke was getting from kick outs or space created when teams were concerned about inside play earlier in the season. Teams challenged Duke by giving up the post and Duke did not capitalize.

We also need to recognize neither Kelly or Hairston is Kyle Singler, it's a talent issue.
    Singler's play allowed Duke to use the center spot as a cleanup, rebounding or transition scoring position and not depend on dumping it inside to score. This team did not have that luxury. They not only needed some post scoring, but needed it in a way that would open up the outside.

Also a lack of communication on defense hurt, which coach K has preached about all season, and gave up some key baskets.

It wasn't a bad season, and I thought they played hard, if not totally together, all year.

UNC is gonna get bounced too, sooner or later, if they can't shoot better from outside. Their weakness is just as great as Dukes was inside, IMO.
    Good post Wheat. At the beginning of the year we got the ball into Mason and Miles and they showed a good jump hook shot. But for some reason we went away from that. We had no one that could drive and finish and also distribute the ball to the open man. Seth went from a pretty good ball handler to a bad ball handler. And yes it hurt not to have a 6'7-6-8" sf. Can't say wait till next year with great conviction. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    We got a lot of good looks, they just didn't go in. I don't think we had an issue with floor spacing. Curry took his usual shots. Dawkins took his usual shots. So did Rivers. We just missed shots.
    I don't agree with this. In fact Lehigh missed more open looks than we did, by a lot. They scouted us well and cut off what amounts to our one offensive play (other than Austin going one on one), trying to free someone on high screens. They were cutting off the dribblers but rotating so as not to leave other shooters open for a kick, which is just what FSU did against us so successfully in the tourney (For that matter VT did it too, only they made the decision that it was ok to leave Tyler open). That's why we missed Kelly so much, because that gives us another option on those plays that would have made it that much harder for them to cover. I'm sure they watched film.

I've been struck by how poorly we've taken advantage of our bigs all year. I think the biggest thing missing from this team was a guard who could feed the post. Almost all great 3 point shooting teams (including ours from past years) run their offense from inside out. This happens one of 3 ways--penetration and a kick, with a skip pass if the first option is covered; entry passes and then distribution from a passing big, or, if you have a monster offensive rebounder like Z, by generating 3s as second chance points. We have often been a 3-point shooting team but I don't think we've ever relied on generating as much of our offense by dribbling around on the perimeter and that isn't a formula for long term success.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    UNC is gonna get bounced too, sooner or later, if they can't shoot better from outside. Their weakness is just as great as Dukes was inside, IMO.
    God, please let this happen tomorrow.

In the rest of your post, I think you are right. No balance on O. And no D.

Site shutdown

Really DBR? The site had to go down for that long just at the time when people wanted to get online and reflect? I realize that people get a bit out of sorts when we lose like this (esp late on a Friday nite). But it seems to me you denied your community just when we kinda wanted you most. Just food for thought for next time (hopefully there won't be too many "next times" like this one!).

Thumbs down

Just want to add my appreciation for what miles did for his career and this season. In my opinion, he was the only one to lift his game at the of the season. 58 rebounds in 11 games, I think. Lots of picks set. As was pointed out, not a lot of looks to him as he rolled to the basket, a play that was certainly there.

What will Murphy and MP3 bring next year? Time will tell. A lot of time to wait.

Class coach and program

Quote Originally Posted by HDB View Post
    I was as disappointed as the rest of you after last night's game. It was difficult to watch as Lehigh made all the big plays to seal the game. After the game as I sat on my couch in a near coma, I decided to turn to ESPNEWS to watch the post-game interviews. That's when I saw Coach K and my disappointment turned to pride as he gave such a gracious and classy postgame interview. He made no excuses, expressed his disappointment, and gave all the credit to Lehigh. I can only hope I would have such poise after such a disappointing loss. As I turned off the tube to head to bed I felt reassured about our program and our leader. He is the best.
    When I saw the post-game press conference I too had similar thoughts. Coach K was so classy. He accepted responsibility for the offense not flowing well. He gave credit to Lehigh for playing well. He expressed disappointment at losing. Coach K has a great vision of the long game. He knows that how he acts after a loss is important to the long-term status of the program and acts accordingly. He also realizes that he can't control what happened in the past, but he can control how he reacts to it. A reality I know I could remember more often.

Thanks Miles.

I'll keep cheering for my other favorite team in the tournament - whomever's playing Carolina. :-)

A Patriot League team should not be getting 14 more free throws or committing 4 fewer turnovers.

McCollum scored 30 but was an effective 10-24 from the field and 10-16 from the line. I wouldn't call that a dominating performance.

Quote Originally Posted by duke96 View Post
    Really DBR? The site had to go down for that long just at the time when people wanted to get online and reflect? I realize that people get a bit out of sorts when we lose like this (esp late on a Friday nite). But it seems to me you denied your community just when we kinda wanted you most. Just food for thought for next time (hopefully there won't be too many "next times" like this one!).
    The mods explained their decision last year, and I think the same explanation applies:

when the board is left open after a loss like that,people tend to overreact hugely...resulting in large numbers of bans/violations. As the mods don't really want to spend all night policing posts like "everyone on our team is terrible" or some such, it makes much more sense to let people calm down...then people don't get banned (so we can actually HAVE discussion) and the mods don't have to sit there all night banning people.
    1200. DDMF.

Requiem

Congratulations to Lehigh for playing an excellent game and moving on. Their defense was active and was excellent at preventing penetration. They essentially shut down Austin from getting into the lane. Austin only got his points with extreme effort. Lehigh also pushed the ball up off their offense and got a number of points in that manner. It helped to have such a great guard in McCollum, but they were aggressive and even got a couple of smart breakaways at the end of the game. Lehigh also got excellent penetration from McCollum and their second guard, who also was tough to handle. That penetration led directly to points and also to the kick outs for corner threes. Had they hit more of these, the game would have been more lopsided. Finally, they did enough rebounding with good positioning and hustle to keep that stat close. It hurt that we had a large part of the game with one or the other of the Plumlee's rotating out. When in the game together, they were tough for Lehigh to handle. Again, congratulations for a well planned and executed game plan from a team with a lot of capability.

On Duke's side clearly Mason had an excellent game, with his dunks and rebounding. Bigs all seem to have trouble with bounce passes that double and triple teams can get their hands on. I don't fault Mason for those losses, but the one passing to him. I also thought Austin played an excellent game under very difficult circumstances. Our three point shooting was not as open as Lehigh's and we just weren't hitting those as was the trend late in the year. Still a 27 win season for Duke. A disappointment for the kids and coaches, but such is life. We also didn't push the ball which is not our style with Tyler as PG. Our defense was not good at preventing penetration albeit against a very good set of guards. The difference between our and Lehigh's defense was obvious. Have to do something about that next year.

Going forward we will have a potential loss of Austin and/or Mason along with Miles. Hate to see that happen, given that our small forwards got so little PT this year. Love to see us come out solidly in the recruiting derby, especially if we lose our key guys from this year.

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    Just want to add my appreciation for what miles did for his career and this season. In my opinion, he was the only one to lift his game at the of the season. 58 rebounds in 11 games, I think. Lots of picks set. As was pointed out, not a lot of looks to him as he rolled to the basket, a play that was certainly there.

What will Murphy and MP3 bring next year? Time will tell. A lot of time to wait.
    Yeh lost in my disappointment of last night's defeat, I too would like to say thanks to Miles for a good Duke career and a very good senior year. Thanks big guy and God Bless you young man. GoDuke!

Before anyone impugns the character or dedication of this year's roster, just remember that Scheyer, Singler, Zoubek, Lance etc were lucky to not lose to 15 seed Belmont in 2008 before eventually winning the national championship in 2010. The 1986 team that went to the title game got a major scare from a 16 seed as well and no one would question their character or dedication. It's just not about that.

For this year's team, it was too much to overcome when strength (offense) became weakness following Kelly's injury (and also, imo, Austin becoming fatigued at the end of the season and unable to be shoot). You need to stay healthy and have your strengths be strengths to make a run. A medicore offense to go with an already mediocre defense isn't going to cut it.

Going forward, hopefully Ryan's injury isn't serious. Hopefully he doesn't need surgery and months rehabbing. Hopefully Austin and Mason come back for another run, and hopefully Duke lands some of the recruits we're after.

Finally, thank you Miles. Hopefully he finds peace with this loss and goes on to fulfill whatever his life goals are. It was devastating to me to see him so devastated in the postgame presser.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    The mods explained their decision last year, and I think the same explanation applies:

when the board is left open after a loss like that,people tend to overreact hugely...resulting in large numbers of bans/violations. As the mods don't really want to spend all night policing posts like "everyone on our team is terrible" or some such, it makes much more sense to let people calm down...then people don't get banned (so we can actually HAVE discussion) and the mods don't have to sit there all night banning people.
    I understand and remember this from years past too, but I also find it disappointing. After the game I was hoping to find solace in a community of people who understand my disappointment and anguish. Somehow, the closed message board just contributes to the sad finality of it all.

It's a shame that some morons have to ruin it for all the rest of us. Such is life, I suppose.

Team Chemistry

I was wondering if anyone had any inside knowledge on the specific team chemistry issues that have been discussed above...Was it the cause of Dre's shooting etc...

Quote Originally Posted by duke96 View Post
    For those of us board members who've been around since the beginning, who've seen how nasty Internet forums can get and how moderators can get overwhelmed in time of passion, it's understandable.

DBR is an island in a world of "!(& for ACC fans....keep the beaches clean.

After watching a very impressive Bucknell team take it to and dismantle Arizona in Tucson in NIT action, I was not particularly surprised that Lehigh rose to the occasion. Unlike those who engage in the by now predictable pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth following an unexpected Duke loss, I am quite impressed with the success Coach K and staff were able to squeeze out of this year's edition. As many are now acknowledging, the components of our team this year were limited in a variety of ways. Our defense was sieve-like in its inability to stop dribble penetration into the lane. And despite a surfeit of guards, none of them possessed the full range of skills needed to control the game or make teammates better. And I continue to be concerned about the state of Duke's post presence. I am afraid that the deficiencies in this area have become a definitive self-fulfilling prophecy that our oppenents are exploiting both on the court and, more especially, in recruiting. Finally, the lack of meaningful depth was more apparent this season than is has been in recent years. All this said, this has been a successful year: running the table on the ACC away slate, Maui triumph, the classic in Chapel Hill, and almost 30 wins. This is a solid record of achievement to be proud of despite the first round loss.

To illustrate the level of stupendous idiotic internet drooling, head on over to the pasty blue forums and watch the monkeys over there throw their excrement.
    Between the whole bunch of them, they might have three teeth.

This year the team seemed dis-jointed. Trying to find answers to the question: How is this season different from all other seasons? The answer I keep coming up with is the addition to our coaching staff. Just my opinion.

Congrats to Lehigh on a great win.

Not sure if anyone saw Rivers' interview last night.
    One of the best interviews I've ever seen.
    Good luck to Miles and any team who is playing UNC.

Impressions: Sunset

Here are a couple of impressions about the game and the NCAAs this year:

1. The NCAA field is deep, deep, deep. I watched Lehigh, the Bonnies, bits and pieces of the Ohio Bobcats, and all of Norfolk State -- three of whom won as 15, 15 and 13 seeds. These are good teams. Lehigh? Wow!
    2. Given Lehigh's talent at the G position, this was, for Duke, a survive-and-advance game. We, of course, could have rolled over them with our inside height and strength, but this never seems to happen with this team, and especially without Ryan Kelly. And we also could have shot them out of the gym (sigh!), but that hasn't happened in the last few weeks.
    3. That we didn't survive and advance had something to do with the foul situation (although it would have been nice not to miss our first nine shots from beyond the arc). When Seth went to the bench, we had only one offensive threat on the floor -- and then some folks have criticized Austin's shot selection.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    To illustrate the level of stupendous idiotic internet drooling, head on over to the pasty blue forums and watch the monkeys over there throw their excrement.
    Between the whole bunch of them, they might have three teeth.
    Deep breaths there weezie...it's just sports and there's always another season.

I took a look at the Devils Den board and I'd argue it's worse there than "the pasty blue forums".