Thread: DeLorean

DeLorean

Has anybody had a restored DeLorean? I'm at a midlife crisis and am considering getting one. Anybody have any good info?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    Has anybody had a restored DeLorean? I'm at a midlife crisis and am considering getting one. Anybody have any good info?
    Will it have a working flux capacitor? They are a lot more fun if they do!
    Last edited by OZZIE4DUKE; 07-24-2007 at 02:03 AM.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    My fiance has had one for several years now. (More of a quarter-life crisis for him, I guess!) He found the car on eBay and then bought it directly from the seller after looking it over in person. I'm not an expert in any way, but here's what I can tell you off the top of my head:

- There's a company, located in Texas I think, that bought all the parts when the DeLorean company went under and that now sells them on the internet. The car has a Volvo engine, though, (and perhaps some other Volvo parts) so some parts are available at your local chain auto parts store.

- It's definitely a head-turner, but my fiance reports that (even when I'm not with him) most of the attention is from guys, so if you're looking for a car to pick up women, this might not be it. On the other hand, there are definitely some women who are very into the car!

- Finding someone to work on it isn't always easy, so you might want to think about where you'd take it to have it worked on before you buy it. And let's not kid ourselves: this is not the lowest-maintenance car you'll ever find.

- Though it's quite heavy, it gets decent gas mileage - my fiance drove his from Kentucky to the D.C. area (~550 miles) yesterday and got about 25 mpg.

- As you probably know, it's made of stainless steel (no paint), which I understand makes it somewhat more susceptible to hail damage than your average car.

Overall, my fiance really loves his, thinks it's fun to drive, and is happy he bought it. If you have questions you'd like me to pass along to him, I'm sure he'd be happy to answer them - you can e-mail me through the board if you want.

Good luck!

Jennifer

Just curious, but what does a DeLorean sell for these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    Just curious, but what does a DeLorean sell for these days?

'Bout 15 grand or so
    WWJDD?