Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Today?

Well, I won't believe it until it actually happens, so FWIW

@mikemaniscalco Great stuff from @EvanDanielscout from http://scout.com just told us Amile Jefferson could commit as soon as today.

Well, a lot has changed in the last couple of days. Mason is back. NC State is having some transfers out. KY got Noel. Nothing has changed as far as I'm aware with Nova and Temple.

I haven't heard that Calvin has decided, has he? Perhaps Amile will make his decision without knowledge of Calvin's intentions?

Again, this may be another pump fake. But hopefully he'll bring it to a close soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Well, I won't believe it until it actually happens, so FWIW

@mikemaniscalco Great stuff from @EvanDanielscout from http://scout.com just told us Amile Jefferson could commit as soon as today.

Well, a lot has changed in the last couple of days. Mason is back. NC State is having some transfers out. KY got Noel. Nothing has changed as far as I'm aware with Nova and Temple.

I haven't heard that Calvin has decided, has he? Perhaps Amile will make his decision without knowledge of Calvin's intentions?

Again, this may be another pump fake. But hopefully he'll bring it to a close soon.
    He also said it would be more likely he'll announce next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Muscle mass to run and jump? I'm talking about stuff like Grant Hill's famous dunk as a freshman in the 1991 National Championship game, Corey Maggette at Duke, etc. etc.
    Look at a typical freshman player in college. Then look at a 26 to 28 year old NBA player. Then tell me what age is the peak physical condition for playing basketball. It's not close.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Look at a typical freshman player in college. Then look at a 26 to 28 year old NBA player. Then tell me what age is the peak physical condition for playing basketball. It's not close.
    i.e. JJ Redick

Mid to Late Twenties

No, it's called having fun and rooting for/being a part of something bigger than yourself. What you said sounds like something that someone who doesn't understand what this is all about would say.

I really love basketball. 18/19 year olds just happen to be at the age where they are in their peak physical form to play this game. Many will never be able to run and jump quite as well a couple of years down the road after a few seasons of wear and tear in the NBA. They are also at an age where they are not yet millionaires and still "susceptible" to a little coaching.

It's a much better form of escapism, for me anyway, than watching a bunch of people getting shot/murdered/whatever passes for TV and movies these days. Or hanging out a bar to smoke cigarettes, drink too much, and speak lewdly about women.

I know this is a tad preachy, but you did just call a bunch of people's fun activity "extremely pathetic". I am glad that I have this.
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I'm not sure I agree that 18/19 is peak physical form. There are a few 18/19 with the needed muscle mass and while this varies for many players, I don't think saying 18/19 is accurate for most.
    Muscle mass to run and jump? I'm talking about stuff like Grant Hill's famous dunk as a freshman in the 1991 National Championship game, Corey Maggette at Duke, etc. etc.
    Kedsy is right. Not only do people get stronger and stronger through their twenties, but athletes develop their coordination at different rates, and many don't get fully coordinated until their twenties, especially the long, tall characters that have to get control of their limbs. Yeah, Grant Hill and all that -- but these are the top one percent of the top one percent of all athletes.

As a non-athlete, I could not touch the basketball rim until I was 26 or so but could still do it ten years later. And, believe me, I was no Spud Webb.

sagegrouse
    'These days, when the coyotes come around, I can still move quickly'

I beg to differ. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is an better physical condition than LeBron
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I beg to differ. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is an better physical condition than LeBron
    Are you perhaps missing the point? For me, the question is: MKG now or MKG when he's 26 - 28.

I would seriously question that assertion. Kidd-Gilchrist would be killed by LeBron in a game and I am not a LeBron fan. It is just a man against a boy - granted a well developed boy, but a boy.

you've got to be kidding....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

That majority of olympic medalists in basketball-related skillsets (100m, 200m, 110 hurdles, long jump, high jump, tripple jump) are generally between 22 - 30 years old. I would def take the atheletic ability of a healthy player in their late 20's
    over someone who is 18/19.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles4Eva View Post
    That majority of olympic medalists in basketball-related skillsets (100m, 200m, 110 hurdles, long jump, high jump, tripple jump) are generally between 22 - 30 years old. I would def take the atheletic ability of a healthy player in their late 20's
    over someone who is 18/19.
    You're forgetting the most important basketball skill-related Olympic sport: basketball. Dominated by the mid to late 20s (and even 30s!) players

Quote Originally Posted by Gewebe14 View Post
    You're forgetting the most important basketball skill-related Olympic sport: basketball. Dominated by the mid to late 20s (and even 30s!) players
    Excellent point!

Calvin

What do folks think will happen if Calvin decides to come back? Does that definitively push Amile to us? Assuming the KY six all leave, I know there will be a lot of room in Lexington, but I have to think Amile's sincere stress on academics might preclude his going to KY. Cal is slick, though, so who knows. Perhaps Nova re-emerges?

Chad Lykins ‏ @CLykinsBlog
    Seems as if chances are pretty high that CJ Leslie will return to State for his junior season. Absolutely Huge.

What do folks think will happen if Calvin decides to come back? Does that definitively push Amile to us? Assuming the KY six all leave, I know there will be a lot of room in Lexington, but I have to think Amile's sincere stress on academics might preclude his going to KY. Cal is slick, though, so who knows. Perhaps Nova re-emerges?

Chad Lykins ‏ @CLykinsBlog
    Seems as if chances are pretty high that CJ Leslie will return to State for his junior season. Absolutely Huge.
    It's very odd that a player like Jefferson would make his decision solely based on the minutes available in his first year of college. Both NC State and Duke will offer minutes next season, and a starting opportunity after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    It's very odd that a player like Jefferson would make his decision solely based on the minutes available in his first year of college. Both NC State and Duke will offer minutes next season, and a starting opportunity after that.
    It was reported that he said last week that the decisions of Mason, CJ, and the KY crew would weight heavily in his decision. I agree that he is not a one-and-done type and therefore should be looking far beyond his first year when imagining his overall tenure at a school, but why then would those decisions be of that much import?

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    I believe that is why he used the smiley with the tongue out...

It was reported that he said last week that the decisions of Mason, CJ, and the KY crew would weight heavily in his decision. I agree that he is not a one-and-done type and therefore should be looking far beyond his first year when imagining his overall tenure at a school, but why then would those decisions be of that much import?
    I'm sure he said it. I just don't understand why that would make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I'm sure he said it. I just don't understand why that would make any sense.
    It will all become (at least somewhat) clear(er) soon enough (we hope).

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dw0827 View Post
    Are you perhaps missing the point? For me, the question is: MKG now or MKG when he's 26 - 28.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I would seriously question that assertion. Kidd-Gilchrist would be killed by LeBron in a game and I am not a LeBron fan. It is just a man against a boy - granted a well developed boy, but a boy.
    Wow - I am seriously beginning to doubt the inability of posters to gauge sarcasm. Thought the smiley with his tongue out said it all. I completely agree that an 18 year old cannot be the physical specimen of a mature 26-28 year old. Agreeing with the majority of you, people.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Wow - I am seriously beginning to doubt the inability of posters to gauge sarcasm. Thought the smiley with his tongue out said it all. I completely agree that an 18 year old cannot be the physical specimen of a mature 26-28 year old. Agreeing with the majority of you, people.
    I got it but didn't want to waste the energy correcting everyone. It was much funnier to see people overreact.