Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bradvinjack View Post
    I am extremely impressed with Amile. Out of our 3 main targets remaining I would love for us to land this kid. He seems like the type than can be a impact player but would not be trying to jump straight to the league and would be a great 3 or 4 year guy that would buy in to what K is trying to teach him. Not many high school students are that worried about the academic side of what most schools can offer. Any recruit with that much talent that also values a great education would be a great fit at Duke. This kid seems to have a really good head on his shoulders, here's hoping he picks the Blue Devils.
    I completely agree. He is the classic example of a young man who offers intangibles. He seems like the kind of guy who is not only individually talented, but who would also be a great teammate. I hope we get him.

I like his emphasis on academics. A lot of these guys talk about academics, but it seems like they do so only because someone told them to do so, but for whatever reason, I believe Amile when he says it's a key priority for him. That obviously would appear to bode well for us.

i would be ecstatic when and if i see him in a duke uni...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Those big doughy puppy dog eyes are tuggin at my heart strings.

Liked what I heard about Duke, I think that if Leslie were to leave though, State would be really hard for him to turn down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Those big doughy puppy dog eyes are tuggin at my heart strings.

Liked what I heard about Duke, I think that if Leslie were to leave though, State would be really hard for him to turn down.
    Yeah, it is my humble opinion that our chances lie with Leslie's decision.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, it is my humble opinion that our chances lie with Leslie's decision.
    I haven't been following Amile incredibly closely, but I wasn't under the impression that he's a certain one-and-done player. What indication do we have that his decision would hinge on the availability of playing time during one (freshman) year? If he's interested in academics, wouldn't that indicate a longer stay? Or is this just based on a feel that he likes State and playing time would seal the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    I haven't been following Amile incredibly closely, but I wasn't under the impression that he's a certain one-and-done player. What indication do we have that his decision would hinge on the availability of playing time during one (freshman) year? If he's interested in academics, wouldn't that indicate a longer stay? Or is this just based on a feel that he likes State and playing time would seal the deal?
    I didn't mean to suggest he is one and done at all. Just that the playing time factor shifts significantly from in our favor if Leslie stays to against us if Leslie leaves. Jefferson would have to REALLY like Duke over State to turn down a sure starting spot right away there (if Leslie leaves).

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    I'm curious about this, too. Yes, if Leslie leaves he might start at State next season. On the other hand, Mason is DEFINITELY gone after next year if he doesn't leave this year. Ryan will be gone, too, leaving a sophomore Amile in great shape for playing time. It's also unlikely that he would be any more the focus of State's offense than he will be Duke's considering that the Pack have a ton of talented scorers coming in soon. I can certainly understand if he thinks State might provide more certainty WRT playing time, but I think he'd be fine at Duke, too, even if we add another big guy to the fold.

I mean, State isn't an awful school, it's certainly not on the Duke level, but its still worth a lot. And if your choice is between two schools who will on paper, probably be equally as talented, or at least close, and you have the opportunity to go in and play right away in a system that has shown to enhance one with the talents of Amile and Calvin Leslie, then its not a clear cut decision even if he wants to stay for a while. He also mentioned that Rodney Purvis is a good friend and roommate of his on the road. Not to mention the fact that Tyler Lewis looks really, really good as a point guard. State certainly has a lot to offer him, especially if Leslie leaves. Gottfried is doing a hell of a job and its nice to be a part of a rising team who used to be great and the State fans appreciate if they get to the Sweet Sixteen.

I think Amile would do very well at both schools and certainly hope that he comes to Duke, but NC State is a serious player again, and to be perfectly honest, I like that, even though I wouldn't like to lose "head to head" recruiting battles with them.

Jefferson down to 4...

Don't know how earth-shattering this "breaking news" is but Evan Daniels at scout.com tweeted today:

"Amile Jefferson is looking at 4 schools -- NCSU, Duke, UK, NOVA. Decision soon..."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Don't know how earth-shattering this "breaking news" is but Evan Daniels at scout.com tweeted today:

"Amile Jefferson is looking at 4 schools -- NCSU, Duke, UK, NOVA. Decision soon..."
    I'm somewhat surprised to see he still has UK on his list. With Cauley and Poythress in the fold and possibly Noel as well there isn't much room left for him.

Just saw this tweet, which was retweeted by Evan Daniels:

Amile Jefferson, 6-9 F, tells WLKY he's heard from UK. Says Kenny Payne called and hinted Cats would lose all 6 primary players.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Just saw this tweet, which was retweeted by Evan Daniels:

Amile Jefferson, 6-9 F, tells WLKY he's heard from UK. Says Kenny Payne called and hinted Cats would lose all 6 primary players.
    Coach Calipari said much the same thing the other day, in an article linked from the DBR main page. Although in a different article (not sure where I read it, so sorry no link) he also said none of his kids had made their decisions yet and might not make them until April 29.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Coach Calipari said much the same thing the other day, in an article linked from the DBR main page. Although in a different article (not sure where I read it, so sorry no link) he also said none of his kids had made their decisions yet and might not make them until April 29.
    Yes, I also read that article and Calipari basically said the NCAA date was meaningless, or at least that's the way it came across to me.

Here's the article:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ap/index.html
    Last edited by ncexnyc; 04-05-2012 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Had to find link

Interview with Telep

This interview is a bit "old" - was done before the McDAA game - but I didn't see it linked. It offers another nice glimpse of how thoughtful and well-spoken Amile is. VIDEO

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Yes, I also read that article and Calipari basically said the NCAA date was meaningless, or at least that's the way it came across to me.

Here's the article:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ap/index.html
    One interesting note about this article--the writer said Darius Miller was noncommittal about his plans for next season. Pretty interesting considering Miller is a senior. Reporting a little sloppy.

Re Calipari's remarks, though, I assume the article is accurate. And his position makes perfect sense--if your players are as high-profile as these Kentucky players, they can get a pretty good idea of where they might go in the draft without "declaring" and participating in the formal "advisory committee" process. So they can just remain undeclared, and eligible to stay in school should they decide to, until the last possible date, which is April 29.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Coach Calipari said... none of his kids had made their decisions yet and might not make them until April 29.
    Well this could get interesting. If all the current Kentucky players wait up until the later deadline, what happens to the recruits? Do they push back making a decision too? Can they even do that? Or will they go based on their best estimation of what will happen based on what the coaching staff tells them?

I'd be surprised if Calipari doesn't push the current guys to announce their intentions sooner rather than later. It goes with the territory with the system they run.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Well this could get interesting. If all the current Kentucky players wait up until the later deadline, what happens to the recruits? Do they push back making a decision too? Can they even do that? Or will they go based on their best estimation of what will happen based on what the coaching staff tells them?

I'd be surprised if Calipari doesn't push the current guys to announce their intentions sooner rather than later. It goes with the territory with the system they run.
    Yes, the recruits can wait much longer than April 29 to make a decision. Or have you already forgotten about the recruitments of Lance Thomas and DeAndre Daniels (to name just a few)? I suspect that, if the recruits were planning to decide on April 11 because they presumed that was the date that underclassmen would have declared, they'll just wait longer to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

Yes, they can delay if they want. The late signing period goes until May 16. And if they choose to wait beyond that, they can still just enroll in the school of their choice sometime over the summer without ever signing an LOI.

EDIT: Sorry, CDu beat me to it.

Mr. Jefferson interview at the Derby Classic

Amile had some cool stuff to say about Duke and Coach K as well as a comment on UK, too.

LINK:http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2012/04/..._campaign=feed

IMO, he just seems to be a great fit for Duke, maybe even more than TP. I'll definately be disappointed if he goes elsewhere.

Hope we land at least one of the three recruits we are recruiting for next year.