Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Give Gottfried an inch and he'll take Amile.
    Someone so alarmingly unathletic should not even consider Amile.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Hey, don't judge him until you've walked Amile in his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Give Gottfried an inch and he'll take Amile.
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Hey, don't judge him until you've walked Amile in his shoes.
    Nor, more to the point, until you've served Amile on a bicycle while listening to "Stuck in the Middle with You," which, sad to say, is more illuminating, for the love of God, than Gottlieb.

Meanwhile, lay off my man Godfrey, at least for one more day.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Nor, more to the point, until you've served Amile on a bicycle while listening to "Stuck in the Middle with You," which, sad to say, is more illuminating, for the love of God, than Gottlieb.

Meanwhile, lay off my man Godfrey, at least for one more day.
    Why? Is he your protege?

Nor, more to the point, until you've served Amile on a bicycle while listening to "Stuck in the Middle with You," .
    can't listen to that song without mentally bringing up Reservior Dogs...ugh...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Why? Is he your protege?
    No, you got me there. But I am fond of the William Powell/Carole Lombard film, a classic comedy. One of Coach Gottfried's favorites, too, according to his popular blog on film noir, screwball comedies, etc. He's probably charmed by the association of Godfrey with Gottfried, and I know he's very fond of Chaucer. [Think I recall reading somewhere that he team-taught a course on The Canterbury Tales at Ala. Makes sense he would.]

Can't blame him, all this name-association stuff, as I'm honored to have been named after a roux.

No, you got me there. But I am fond of the William Powell/Carole Lombard film, a classic comedy. One of Coach Gottfried's favorites, too, according to his popular blog on film noir, screwball comedies, etc. He's probably charmed by the association of Godfrey with Gottfried, and I know he's very fond of Chaucer. [Think I recall reading somewhere that he team-taught a course on The Canterbury Tales at Ala. Makes sense he would.]

Can't blame him, all this name-association stuff, as I'm honored to have been named after a roux.
    For real, Gottfried has a blog on films? That's awesome; he has unsuspected depth (oh, wait, now I'm mixing my classic comedies, that line is from Philadelphia Story). Where is it found?

As for [/I]My Man Godfrey[/I], it has been a family favorite for years; my daughters (now quite grown up) still occasionally pop out a "yah! yah! yah!" or "Godfrey loves me! Godfrey loves me!" unexpectedly.

Good thing Amile is announcing tomorrow so I won't have a chance to get this thread any further off track.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    For real, Gottfried has a blog on films?.... Where is it found?
    In a very secret place. I'd tell you, but then I'd have to...

It's unlikely anyone named after a roux is entirely trustworthy.

Spicy, possibly; trustworthy, no.

Thread relevance: I'm willing to trust that Amile will in fact announce tomorrow. I have posted a number of times - as have others - on his intriguing skill-set. He's different, a not-powerful power forward, sort of, with a spicy game, sort of.

Come to Duke, Amile. We'll feed your soul, brain, and stomach right.

In a very secret place. I'd tell you, but then I'd have to...

It's unlikely anyone named after a roux is entirely trustworthy.

Spicy, possibly; trustworthy, no.

Thread relevance: I'm willing to trust that Amile will in fact announce tomorrow. I have posted a number of times - as have others - on his intriguing skill-set. He's different, a not-powerful power forward, sort of, with a spicy game, sort of.

Come to Duke, Amile. We'll feed your soul, brain, and stomach right.
    Well, a roux is a thickening agent, after all, and you made me look plenty thick! (with a lot of help from me)

According to Pack Pride, "multiple sources" say Jefferson is headed to Raleigh.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    According to Pack Pride, "multiple sources" say Jefferson is headed to Raleigh.

The normal reaction would be to wait and see what Amile says and not take what the Pack is saying on their boards seriously. BUT in this case with multiple sources saying this is the case, I'll believe it. Good luck Amile.

We know the team we are going to war with next year, I still like us in the ACC but were going to have our work cut out for us in recruiting 2013.

Twitter mentions

Adam Zagoria ‏ @AdamZagoria

No surprise here, but everyone I've spoken with (including coaches) says Amile Jefferson will pick Duke or N.C. State tomorrow.

Jon Pence ‏ @scacchoops

Amile Jefferson will decide today and most "experts" seem to think its down to Duke or NC State, twitter should be fun this afternoon

Jeff Borzello ‏ @jeffborzello

Seems like Duke and NC State are pretty confident about Amile Jefferson. Hearing very little about Kentucky, Ohio State and Villanova.

Another One

Clint Jackson ‏ @clintjackson1
    State sources seem confident this am. Duke sources seem confident this am. Amile decides today. One fanbase is going to have a meltdown.

I'm pretty sure we won't have a melt down if Amile goes to State. Perhaps a small fringe segment will, but not the bulk of us.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    State sources seem confident this am. Duke sources seem confident this am. Amile decides today. One fanbase is going to have a meltdown.

I'm pretty sure we won't have a melt down if Amile goes to State. Perhaps a small fringe segment will, but not the bulk of us.
    No meltdown but it will sting some. Amile just seems like a good kid that would be a great fit to the Duke family. Not saying Bazz/TP aren't but Bazz probably is a one and done and TP well...we know what we use TP for.

Maybe not a melt down

I don't know that any single recruit is worth a melt-down, but we've not had a good year in terms of our recruiting, and given the way the season last year played out, what the our current roster looks like, what we'll lose after this season, I think it's fair to be concerned about recruiting, especially recognizing the division of time and effort between recruiting this summer and Olympic prep work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    I don't know that any single recruit is worth a melt-down, but we've not had a good year in terms of our recruiting, and given the way the season last year played out, what the our current roster looks like, what we'll lose after this season, I think it's fair to be concerned about recruiting, especially recognizing the division of time and effort between recruiting this summer and Olympic prep work.
    I'd like to get Jefferson because I think he'd provide a nice alternative for backup PF next year. And I think in the coming years he and Murphy could provide a very interesting and versatile combo at forward. I won't be heartbroken if we don't get him because I think he's probably a year or so away from being ready to shine at the college level. But I agree that it would be comforting to land another PF or C or two in this class or next year's class.

Understand your view and I'm sure others feel similarly, but I'm really not concerned. Amile is a nice player and I hope he chooses Duke, but I don't see him as being a star, or at least not anytime soon (needs strength and experience).
    I look at the 2012 class as including Alex Murphy and Marshall Plumlee along with an excellent prospect in Sulaimon, and that class looks good to me.

Both the 2013 and 2014 classes look promising for Duke; in some years, there are several prospects who would be a good fit for Duke, and both 2013 and 2014 seem like that. On to the next play.

I agree that things could be better, but I do think we have a solid team going into next season and some very positive recruiting potential in 2013 and 2014. I think Amile would be great for us (and for him) but I don't think we'll be bemoaning his choice for very long if he goes elsewhere. We'll be sad but we'll get over it fairly quickly.

We want Amile because his maturity and self-effacing demeanor reminds us of some beloved former players and we hope that he's on that same trajectory. However, what those former players had that he has yet to demonstrate is a genuine desire to be a Duke player and passion for everything that means. Hopefully at 4pm he'll express exactly that.

Melting down is akin to tantrum-ing and suggests a degree of emotional instability. Our job is to root on whoever is eager and passionate to put on our uniform, not to express some sense of right or privilege to certain players as if we'll be dissatisfied with any group of young men who show up at the start of a season. Will we be yearning for Shabazz come the fall? Nope. He's made his choice, and we as a family move on.

Also, we have K. I think K has earned our trust. Even if Amile says no, K definitely has a much grander plan that will adjust and move on. I have a feeling that once the hopes of a new season overwhelm us in the fall, we'll leave this "cold streak" we've been sensing far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Understand your view and I'm sure others feel similarly, but I'm really not concerned. Amile is a nice player and I hope he chooses Duke, but I don't see him as being a star, or at least not anytime soon (needs strength and experience).
    I look at the 2012 class as including Alex Murphy and Marshall Plumlee along with an excellent prospect in Sulaimon, and that class looks good to me.
    Totally agree here.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Both the 2013 and 2014 classes look promising for Duke; in some years, there are several prospects who would be a good fit for Duke, and both 2013 and 2014 seem like that. On to the next play.
    I'd say they are potentially promising in that there are a lot of guys we're targeting who seem like good fits. But we've only landed one guy in those two classes so far, so it's too early to feel good about either of those classes yet. I'm not saying that we should have already landed more; just saying that we aren't in a position yet to feel sure about those classes. But that may just be semantics.

Couple of thoughts.

I agree that things could be better, but I do think we have a solid team going into next season and some very positive recruiting potential in 2013 and 2014. I think Amile would be great for us (and for him) but I don't think we'll be bemoaning his choice for very long if he goes elsewhere. We'll be sad but we'll get over it fairly quickly.

We want Amile because his maturity and self-effacing demeanor reminds us of some beloved former players and we hope that he's on that same trajectory. However, what those former players had that he has yet to demonstrate is a genuine desire to be a Duke player and passion for everything that means. Hopefully at 4pm he'll express exactly that.
    Jefferson, to me, is less important for next year -- about which I'm less optmistic than many here -- and more about having guy who looks now like a four year kid in the program who can be a leader in a couple of years. He's thin and a bit raw, but there's talent there, and having guys like that in the program help us.

It may be nitpicking, but I think a recruit could have a "genuine desire to be a Duke player and a passion for everything that means" but end up elsewhere. I don't think our last two recruiting misses had that desire and both basically said as much, but Jefferson, from everything you read seems very torn. I don't doubt the sincerity of his interest and his affinity for Duke.

Melting down is akin to tantrum-ing and suggests a degree of emotional instability. Our job is to root on whoever is eager and passionate to put on our uniform, not to express some sense of right or privilege to certain players as if we'll be dissatisfied with any group of young men who show up at the start of a season. Will we be yearning for Shabazz come the fall? Nope. He's made his choice, and we as a family move on.

Also, we have K. I think K has earned our trust. Even if Amile says no, K definitely has a much grander plan that will adjust and move on. I have a feeling that once the hopes of a new season overwhelm us in the fall, we'll leave this "cold streak" we've been sensing far behind.
    I don't think fandom is as narrowly defined as you do, and that expressing concern about the direction of the program (or certain aspects of it) and reasonable, supported criticism of the coaching staff is well within the bounds of good fandom. K has earned our trust, as as positive as things seem for 2013 and 2014, so too they seemed at one time for 2012, when a one person class was unthinkable. I trust him, but there are good reasons to be concerned about ou recruiting, and not just concerns arising out of the last 45 days of misses. I hope to see and want to see that ship righted, and I'll root regardless, but I'm concerned about recruiting. I'll admit that some of my pessimism may result from my outlook on next season, which is far less optmistic than most here. I think that the fade at the end of last year -- reminiscent of the seasons from 2005 to 2009 -- have us poised for what could be (by our standards) a long 12 months. I hope that our recruiting isn't such over the next year that those 12 months stretch into 24 or 36