Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke would almost certainly add some walk-ons in this scenario.
    Wow, that might work out nearly perfectly for that athletic lacrosse player (tall for a lacrosse guy) who was toying with the walk-on to basketball and lacrosse option for Duke. Alex won't drive by *him* if he brings his long stick!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I understand that this is frustrating to us fans, especially this year when everyone would really like to add another recruit, but other extremely viable options have begun competing for Amile's services relatively recently, and it is clear that he feels the need to consider strongly. Due to this fact in particular, I completely understand his desire to take his time. While I do believe he's having trouble making up his mind, I really doubt he's stringing people along to try and gain attention. If he is, then he's not the guy a lot of us think him to be, but for me, taking some extra time isn't really hurting anything other than our patience.
    I agree. If he really were seeking attention, he could do a much better job. We don't see any of the tweets, press "insider" features, officially scheduled announcements that were then postponed, and other hoopla that accompanied the Tony Parker decision. Jefferson has maintained a very low profile, politely answering questions when asked and otherwise going about his business. For all we know, his decision may be complicated by conflicting advice from various advisors--a coach who recommends one option, parents who recommend another--but because none of these people apparently feel it's anyone else's business (to their great credit) we don't know about it. He'll decide when he decides.

As others have pointed out in this thread, it's to his advantage to decide within the current signing period, so he can get started making plans to get on campus at his new school. I'm assuming that, like Duke, the other programs he is considering strongly encourage arrival for a summer term to get some coursework started and work on conditioning. So I expect we won't be waiting much longer. But if we are, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Listen to Quants View Post
    Wow, that might work out nearly perfectly for that athletic lacrosse player (tall for a lacrosse guy) who was toying with the walk-on to basketball and lacrosse option for Duke. Alex won't drive by *him* if he brings his long stick!
    Yeah, playing defense with a pole would give new meaning to the idea of a "long" basketball player. On the other hand, it might be problematic for shooting and rebounding.

As I recall

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Yeah, playing defense with a pole would give new meaning to the idea of a "long" basketball player. On the other hand, it might be problematic for shooting and rebounding.
    Morgan Wooten had his Dematha team prepare for playing Lew Alcindor by having them play against a player using a tennis racket, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Morgan Wooten had his Dematha team prepare for playing Lew Alcindor by having them play against a player using a tennis racket, or something like that.
    I think it was actually a broom

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I agree. If he really were seeking attention, he could do a much better job. We don't see any of the tweets, press "insider" features, officially scheduled announcements that were then postponed, and other hoopla that accompanied the Tony Parker decision. Jefferson has maintained a very low profile, politely answering questions when asked and otherwise going about his business. For all we know, his decision may be complicated by conflicting advice from various advisors--a coach who recommends one option, parents who recommend another--but because none of these people apparently feel it's anyone else's business (to their great credit) we don't know about it. He'll decide when he decides.

As others have pointed out in this thread, it's to his advantage to decide within the current signing period, so he can get started making plans to get on campus at his new school. I'm assuming that, like Duke, the other programs he is considering strongly encourage arrival for a summer term to get some coursework started and work on conditioning. So I expect we won't be waiting much longer. But if we are, so be it.
    I completely agree with your post. He doesn't seem to be unnecessarily dragging things out just for the sake of attention. I think we oversimplify the process for many of these guys. If I had to guess, I would say exactly what you did -- that there is probably some dissension within his "camp". Perhaps someone really wants him to stay home and be the hometown hero. Perhaps someone wants him on the fast track to the NBA with Cal. Perhaps someone wants him to be a genuine student-athlete and plant his flag in Durham. Perhaps Amile is wholeheartedly decided within his own mind on a particular school but his personality is such that he wants to achieve consensus with the people he loves, and hasn't been able to do so yet.

The only deadline he's broken is the one that we fans have set for our own selfish purposes (i.e. every Friday since January). I suspect that if we had won the championship, or had landed Shabazz, or had otherwise had a positive spring and weren't in such an emotionally vulnerable spot, we wouldn't consider Amile nearly as indecisive or inconsiderate of our needs as a fanbase. As I've stated before, "the problem is us, not you, Amile".

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    I completely agree with your post. He doesn't seem to be unnecessarily dragging things out just for the sake of attention. I think we oversimplify the process for many of these guys. If I had to guess, I would say exactly what you did -- that there is probably some dissension within his "camp". Perhaps someone really wants him to stay home and be the hometown hero. Perhaps someone wants him on the fast track to the NBA with Cal. Perhaps someone wants him to be a genuine student-athlete and plant his flag in Durham. Perhaps Amile is wholeheartedly decided within his own mind on a particular school but his personality is such that he wants to achieve consensus with the people he loves, and hasn't been able to do so yet.

The only deadline he's broken is the one that we fans have set for our own selfish purposes (i.e. every Friday since January). I suspect that if we had won the championship, or had landed Shabazz, or had otherwise had a positive spring and weren't in such an emotionally vulnerable spot, we wouldn't consider Amile nearly as indecisive or inconsiderate of our needs as a fanbase. As I've stated before, "the problem is us, not you, Amile".
    Agreed. I don't see why it's any of our business whether he takes his time or not. It's a big decision, and he has the right to wait to make sure he makes the right one. I'd love to know now (or a month ago), but that's not my call. No reason to get exasperated with him or the process just because he hasn't made a decision on our desired timeline. If you're going to get fed up with other people making what is the biggest decision of their young lives then maybe you shouldn't follow recruiting threads.

That seems reasonable.

On the other hand, I would be in favor of the Duke staff giving him a deadline of perhaps later this month, and withdrawing the scholarship offer if a decision is not made.
    2012 recruiting issues should at some point be wrapped up, especially with the 2013 class recruiting in full swing and the Olympics fast approaching.

There's a scene in the movie Blue Chips where the coaches hold up brooms while the guys are shooting to simulate having a defender in their face. Man, that was a great movie.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Agreed. I don't see why it's any of our business whether he takes his time or not. It's a big decision, and he has the right to wait to make sure he makes the right one. I'd love to know now (or a month ago), but that's not my call. No reason to get exasperated with him or the process just because he hasn't made a decision on our desired timeline. If you're going to get fed up with other people making what is the biggest decision of their young lives then maybe you shouldn't follow recruiting threads.
    I'm with you guys on this. He has the right to take all the time he needs. Having just watched my son agonize over his college choice, and agonized with him, I wish Amile luck with his deliberations.

Seems like he'd be a nice recruit and likely would have a solid career at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I think it was actually a broom
    Our high school lay-up drills included a broom...and our coach swatting every possible shot out of the way.
    It was a great way teaching tool when you have no size/length to compete against.

I like the idea of Myles bringing the LAX stick to practice!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    That seems reasonable.

On the other hand, I would be in favor of the Duke staff giving him a deadline of perhaps later this month, and withdrawing the scholarship offer if a decision is not made.
    2012 recruiting issues should at some point be wrapped up, especially with the 2013 class recruiting in full swing and the Olympics fast approaching.
    This is an excellent point you've made. While it's nice to sit back and say this is a huge decision for a young man to make and there are many factors involved in making that decision and we shouldn't get to bent out of shape over how long it's taking for Amile to decide one way or the other there are other people involved in this process.

While I'm sure the staff is already making plans for the upcoming season, I'm sure they'd love to have all their pieces present and accounted for. I'm sure they'd love to know about Amile one way or the other so they know how much attention they need to throw in the direction of all these other young men we've been talking about these past few weeks.

So yes, it's a big deal for Amile to get it right and make the best choice for him, let's remember it's not just about him

What these guys said

His choice and his timetable. None of our business when he decides and the idea of a deadline is ridiculous. That gains us...what? Sounds like a great kid. Hope he makes the right choice for him and for us, but he has the right to mull it over as long as it takes.

I'm with you guys on this. He has the right to take all the time he needs. Having just watched my son agonize over his college choice, and agonized with him, I wish Amile luck with his deliberations.

Seems like he'd be a nice recruit and likely would have a solid career at Duke.
    Who'd he go with, MChambers?

s.i.

Izzo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleIrish View Post
    Who'd he go with, MChambers?

s.i.
    Michigan State. Long story, of course.

Here's a new article on Amile from the N&O but, shocker, no info as to if/when he will make an announcement in the near future.

LINK:http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/...effersons.html

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Here's a new article on Amile from the N&O but, shocker, no info as to if/when he will make an announcement in the near future.

LINK:http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/...effersons.html

Loved the quote they included from Amile...in January lol. I really don't mind him waiting this long. Sure maybe it's a little annoying only because I check once a week and every update is the same, "soon" but whatever.

The one cliche that I don't like is that everyone says this is the biggest decision of his life and its so crucial. If that was the case, we wouldn't be getting 400+ transfers a year in college basketball. These guys aren't stuck with the decisions they make. I hope Amile makes the decision that he feels is right, but I'm sure he'd fit in just fine at Duke, NC State, Kentucky, or Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Loved the quote they included from Amile...in January lol. I really don't mind him waiting this long. Sure maybe it's a little annoying only because I check once a week and every update is the same, "soon" but whatever.

The one cliche that I don't like is that everyone says this is the biggest decision of his life and its so crucial. If that was the case, we wouldn't be getting 400+ transfers a year in college basketball. These guys aren't stuck with the decisions they make. I hope Amile makes the decision that he feels is right, but I'm sure he'd fit in just fine at Duke, NC State, Kentucky, or Nova.
    You make a good point--an important decision, yes; an irrevocable decision, no. For any kid, athlete or no, there is so much about how college will turn out that you can't predict, no matter how much research and thought you put into the process. Will you like your roommate and the other kids you meet? Will you find out you wish you were closer to/farther from home than you expected? Will you be inspired, or bored, by your professors? Will you meet, or lose, your dream girl/guy? Obviously, for an athlete it's important to have a good feeling about the coaching staff and the way it appears you will fit into the program. But as you note, the transfer rate says predictions about those often don't pan out either.

The fact is, the college you choose will change your life--you'll meet different people and have different experiences. But you can't predict what those will be in advance, and beyond some basic questions of fit (offering the major or activity you want to pursue, being of a size you think you will be comfortable with, etc.) it's a lot more important in the end to be open to the opportunities the college you choose presents than to try to anticipate those opportunities in advance in order to make your choice.

Anthony Bennett has dropped Kentucky from his list. If Amile prefers KY over Duke and State and has simply been waiting for Bennett to decide before planting his own flag (a popular theory), perhaps we'll see movement from Amile this week. I hope not, but who knows...

Anthony Bennett has dropped Kentucky from his list. If Amile prefers KY over Duke and State and has simply been waiting for Bennett to decide before planting his own flag (a popular theory), perhaps we'll see movement from Amile this week. I hope not, but who knows...

Good for Bennett! Once he dropped Florida, everyone pretty much penciled him in as a Kentucky signee, but he'd paving his own path and good for him. The kid seemingly likes it out West and I can't blame him. I hope he ends up at Oregon (my old hometown). If he does, I think the Ducks could challenge UCLA and Arizona. What does this mean for Amile? I don't think anything. I hghly doubt Bennett dropped Kentucky because he knows insider info on Amile. Maybe it sweetens the deal a little knowing you don't have a top 10 recruit from your position going there, but I still say us and State are on top.