Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    And sometimes exasperation.
    Well, really, Moody Blues lyrics can be pretty exasperating.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I'm curious why you have Josh playing 3 minutes at C. Wouldn't it make more sense for Ryan to play C and Josh the PF for those minutes where Mason is resting and Marshall is not in the game for whatever reason?
    Yes, I realize that seems a little odd. Probably as much a matter of my laziness as anything else, but 2 other excuses/explanations: [1] As I noted in my post, the position designations are both imprecise and unimportant, at the margins [i.e, between 4/5, 3/4/ 2/3, even 1/2]. And, a little more, but not very, controversially, [2] because when Ryan and Josh are on the court together, sometimes, not all the time, Josh might both be inside on O while Ryan drifts out toward 3-bomb-land, and on D guard the opposing 5, if his [Josh's] weight and strength seem a better fit than Ryan's.

The key to my overwrought analysis is my emphasis on "flexibility." Essentially I'm claiming that we need to state straightforwardly that we cannot pin down, precisely, the several position-designations. As I think about it, of the 11 guys, including here both Andre and Amile, only Marshall and Quinn have absolutely clear, one-only, position-designations.

Quinn is clearly a 3, and Marshall is clearly a 2. Otherwise, flexible chaos and chaotic flexibility. Have to count on K to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Listen to Quants View Post
    I am quibbling, admittedly, but it means we needn't think of the not-long-enough-for-the-job Josh battling big PFs but instead battling the bigger SFs, leaving big PF for the bigger Murphy. Is Murphy up to that?
    I suspect Alex would be up to guarding big PFs. In fact, if we have Andre, I believe Alex will be playing some decent amount of minutes at PF. If Andre is redshirting, however, it becomes murkier. Not because of Alex, but because I have my doubts whether Josh would be capable of guarding any SFs, big or small. People talk about his added bulk slowing him down, but I don't remember him having particularly quick feet even before he bulked up. I'd be very surprised to see Josh playing any SF for us next year.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Quinn is clearly a 3, and Marshall is clearly a 2.
    This is another one of your clever jokes, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Of course it was a joke. Everyone knows Quinn is a 7 and Marshall is a 0.33.

My standard response to almost all questions is, "It's always hard to tell."
    • How you doing today? "It's always hard to tell."
    • Who you like in the 3d at Pimlico? "It's always hard to tell."
    • Who killed Rosie Larsen? "It's always hard to tell."
    • Will Duke win 4, or only 3, more NCs before K retires? "It's always hard to tell."
    • Etc.

Some people you just cannot trust. Also, there's no accounting for taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Good post. Tried to give you trident points, but alas, I must spread the love a little bit more.
    I gave him some spork points just for you :-)
    Last edited by elvis14; 04-24-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: spellling

... If Andre is redshirting, however, it becomes murkier. Not because of Alex, but because I have my doubts whether Josh would be capable of guarding any SFs, big or small. People talk about his added bulk slowing him down, but I don't remember him having particularly quick feet even before he bulked up. I'd be very surprised to see Josh playing any SF for us next year. ...
    I see Josh roughly the same way. I have hope though, that a combination of trim, more conditioning, harder ploymetrics will make Josh somewhat quicker (I am reading an awful lot into an offhand comment he made about his not having his body right). That and the added experience which should allow somewhat better anticipation to employ whatever quickness he has more effectively should help. Essentially the same point could be made, of course, that it will help his PF defense as well. I wonder if his weight will tell us which spot K is aiming him to defend? (assuming Josh is a robot, complying precisely with trainer/K desires ... oh, he is human?).

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I understand your unease, but he spent more time praising his teammates and coaching staff than anything else:

“It’s so humbling. As much as I’m honored by it, the guys I’ve played with have been the big part of the success we’ve had. The coaches have been so good. We’ve had that all four years. I’ve been blessed to play with some great players in this tournament and they’ve helped me so much to achieve this. I’m honored by the guys I’ve played with.”
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I have no problems whatsoever with Amile. Although I am not all that familiar with him, he does not seem like the type of kid to get caught up in self-promotion. And as I said, what he's done in his four years in high school is remarkable. Hopefully he can continue that at Duke.

Hard to tell this string is about Amile

• Will Duke win 4, or only 3, more NCs before K retires? "It's always hard to tell."
    • Etc.

Amile appears to be a great kid and excellent BB player who fills Duke's needs for another SF for the coming season. The kid is 6'7", 190 pounds, long and agile. He is a good student. Maybe things do happen for a reason and we will get this kid and he will become one of the great Duke players going forward. Let's encourage this kid to come our way. There appears to be PT available for him, especially if Dawkins does red shirt. Alex is unlikely to play more than 25 minutes a game and some of that might be at PF.

Lets use this string to discuss Amile!

It must be a joke--because I'm pretty sure the Plumlee family thinks Marshall is a 3, not a 2.

I"m sure this probably isn't fair to either of them, but the more I compare Amile Jefferson's decision-making process to Tony Parker's, the more I really hope Jefferson comes to Duke. Parker is probably a great kid in his own right, and perhaps you can't fault him for having a little fun at the expense of the press and the silly fans like us who put so much weight on recruits' every cryptic tweet or piece of logo clothing. But Jefferson's apparent understated thoughtfulness and instinct to acknowledge teammates and coaches for their role in his achievements suggest a team-first, levelheaded, coachable player who could get the most out of his opportunities at Duke. And I suspect we would really enjoy seeing his enthusiasm and that beaming smile along with his game.

Come to Duke, Amile!

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I"m sure this probably isn't fair to either of them, but the more I compare Amile Jefferson's decision-making process to Tony Parker's, the more I really hope Jefferson comes to Duke. Parker is probably a great kid in his own right, and perhaps you can't fault him for having a little fun at the expense of the press and the silly fans like us who put so much weight on recruits' every cryptic tweet or piece of logo clothing. But Jefferson's apparent understated thoughtfulness and instinct to acknowledge teammates and coaches for their role in his achievements suggest a team-first, levelheaded, coachable player who could get the most out of his opportunities at Duke. And I suspect we would really enjoy seeing his enthusiasm and that beaming smile along with his game.

Come to Duke, Amile!
    I always respect anyone's college decision, but at the end of the day some people look like Duke guys and some people don't. I think Amile Jefferson would fit right in at Duke, and that's a feeling that I never got with Tony Parker. I guess that's no surprise considering that in the end we weren't even one of his three finalists:

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2012...er-uga-others/

If anyone visits Duke and meets the people at the school, whether it's an athlete talking to the players and coaches or your typical high school senior talking to Duke students, then he or she will either be wowed by the experience or not. If someone doesn't get that feeling, then they should look elsewhere. A recruit who openly criticizes the Duke program obviously doesn't have that feeling, so I'm sure that Parker will be better off in Westwood. Best of luck and no hard feelings and no sour grapes involved.

• Etc.

More like, we may never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Amile appears to be a great kid and excellent BB player who fills Duke's needs for another SF for the coming season. The kid is 6'7", 190 pounds, long and agile. He is a good student. Maybe things do happen for a reason and we will get this kid and he will become one of the great Duke players going forward. Let's encourage this kid to come our way. There appears to be PT available for him, especially if Dawkins does red shirt. Alex is unlikely to play more than 25 minutes a game and some of that might be at PF.

Lets use this string to discuss Amile!
    I and others have offered plenty of substantive posts about Amile. Although I see no great contradiction between serious analysis and having fun, I admit to being somewhat goofy at times. In an attempt to make amends for superfluous goofiness, I accept your invitation to get back on track.

I agree with what you say about Amile, and in your post and those of others, I sense something akin to a growing, almost urgent, chorus of hope that Amile may in fact choose Duke. This hope, and its urgency, which I share, seems to have arisen from several factors: [1] Disappointed in having missed out on several promising recruits, and [2] newly unsettled by Michael's transfer and Andre's possible redshirt, we [3] are looking at a slightly undermanned roster next season. But Amile is still in the picture, and the [4] interesting, different, quality of his play, combined with [5] optimistic expectations of a 3-4 year player who can develop a very strong game at both ends of the court, grows in us - quite a few of us, in fact - a felt desire to see Amile at the next CTC, guarding Alex, presumably. To top it off, psychologically and emotionally, [6] Amile sports a winning smile and personality. We are smitten. I am, anyway, and have been ever since I saw - the one and only time - Amile play, maybe 3 months back.

I hope Amile will not wait on Bennett. That the 2 guys - after Rasheed, of course - that I most wanted to see come to Duke [Poythress and Jefferson] might wind up at UK is pretty irritating. I guess I wouldn't be quite so irritated if Amile winds up in Raleigh, but there's an implicit groundswell in this and other/hijacked threads that Amile really should come to Duke. I think so, anyway.

FWIW, Amile's last day of classes as a senior is this Friday. Not saying that it matters, but it may be a logical moment to make an announcement (if, as some have speculated, he is actually approaching a decision).

Regardless, I am happy to wait for Amile. It's always a good sign in my mind when some of the most prominent positives that stick out have nothing to do with what he is able to do on the court. If he comes, this kid will be a fan favorite.

In an article posted earlier in this thread I believe (here it is again from 4/22: http://www.timesherald.com/article/2...?nomobile=true) they're trying to set a date now and he's hoping to make a decision within a week or so.

All that I've read and the interview he did with Dave Telep he just sounds like a Duke guy. He's the type of player you could root for and know there will be a learning/growth process but that this kid could be a special person for Duke. His demeanor in a lot of ways reminds me of Grant Hill (my favorite Duke player and overall athlete EVER). I almost see him in 3/4 years being drafted into the NBA and on draft night making Craig Sager relive his Shane Battier interview.

Nothing To See Here

Per Amile's coach, nothing is on tap for Friday, at this moment

LINK TO ZAGS

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I thought it odd that a thread about our last major recruit fell this low on the board, so I figured it needs a bump. Any news on when we'll hear a decision? Gotta think it'd be this week...
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

i don't know about y'all, but i am just waiting to see that WELCOME TO DUKE.......thread....

just about everything that's been said has...well, been said...

come on Amile, come to duke and make history....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i don't know about y'all, but i am just waiting to see that WELCOME TO DUKE.......thread....

just about everything that's been said has...well, been said...

come on Amile, come to duke and make history....
    I agree. Given the relatively long and drawn out nature of his recruitment punctuated by a few "Amile is likely to announce this Friday" frenzies, everything that needs to be discussed has already been discussed. If the thread falls on the board, it's not because people don't care. It's because we've already hashed out every angle we can think of. I'm still paying full attention, albeit quietly at this point.