Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Amile Jefferson Recruiting Thread

Please use this thread to discuss Jefferson's recruitment. Please stay on topic.

I posted this in the new 2012 and thought I'd put it here where it should be

Originally Posted by dukedoc
    The somewhat odd thing about Amile's recruitment recently (although it certainly doesn't approach the cumulative "oddness" of TP's recruitment) is that we've gone through multiple rounds of "the decision is on the brink". Most recently his Dad indicated that he would decide between last Friday and yesterday - i.e. pretty specific.

He hasn't announced so one needs to wonder if something has changed or come up recently. I presume that his father wouldn't put a clear timeline on the announcement unless they were pretty darn certain which way they were headed with this. The only things I've heard of that have happened recently are a visit back to Temple to tour their facilities, the recent performances of Duke and NCSU in the ACCT, and NCSU's inclusion in the tourney. I have a hard time believing that any of those things would be very impactful on his decision though.
    Maybe the inclusion of Temple back into the Big East has given him second thoughts? I know the BE is still changing and could be in jeopardy of blowing up; but as of right now, with the inclusion of Memphos and Temple, the BE is still a pretty impressive basketball league even with Syracuse and Pitt leaving. And who knows, maybe NC State is giving one final push to say "here look at us, we made it to the tournament this year and we're going to be better next year. And depending on what Leslie does, you can help up us contend for the ACC and NC next year".

3. I'm wondering whether it could be Mason or Austin indicating to the staff that they will likely return next year, and that then having an impact on recruiting?

My baseless speculative theorizing leads me to believe that Amile is waiting to see what happens with CJ Leslie and Mason Plumlee before deciding.

Can anyone prove or disprove that theory?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    My baseless speculative theorizing leads me to believe that Amile is waiting to see what happens with CJ Leslie and Mason Plumlee before deciding.

Can anyone prove or disprove that theory?

I can only prove it with hearsay

It makes sense to me, but if that is the case, why at any point would they come out and say were going to make an announcement soon? If that were an important factor...and to me it is, why wouldn't they (he and his Dad) just say from the beginning that we will announce after the season is completed?

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    It makes sense to me, but if that is the case, why at any point would they come out and say were going to make an announcement soon? If that were an important factor...and to me it is, why wouldn't they (he and his Dad) just say from the beginning that we will announce after the season is completed?
    Maybe he wasn't expecting State to make the tournament, so they figured they could talk to the State coaching staff this week and get a feel for whether Leslie was going to stay? Just tossing out ideas here.

Is there anything to indicate Amile would pick a team other than Duke or State? Any good evidence for Nova or another?
    Last edited by Newton_14; 03-14-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: removed off topic content

I'll be honest the idea of him continuing to wait only convinces me that this poor young man hasn't the slightest idea where he wants to go. Wasn't it Zag's Blog who recently said it seemed a committment to Duke seemed near. I think, and this is just my gut feeling, that if he was ready to make any decision he'd have made it. Obviously the continued delay in his announcement only means he needs more time to make up his mind. He is a kid so I guess we should expect some indecisiveness. It is only nautral.

Amile has a bit of a throw back game in that he has some mid range game. He's not a blow you away athlete but smooth in his movements with a good basketball IQ. He is a better prospect than Lance Thomas was and he lacks a bit if the tenacity Thomas had. He's the type of kid Duke hasn't had in a while and is tougher than he looks, for he is on the slim side in that he's never lifted weights. That alone means the transition at any school will be tough in that the physical nature of the game is an adjustment. I have seen Jefferson play about 12 times and he's a player and the kind of guy you want on your roster. He is not the PF type Duke could use, but he is actually listed as a PF by many in the know on the recruiting front. The bottom line is he's a baller and would add some length to the team. Duke is in very good shape for his services.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Amile has a bit of a throw back game in that he has some mid range game. He's not a blow you away athlete but smooth in his movements with a good basketball IQ. He is a better prospect than Lance Thomas was and he lacks a bit if the tenacity Thomas had. He's the type of kid Duke hasn't had in a while and is tougher than he looks, for he is on the slim side in that he's never lifted weights. That alone means the transition at any school will be tough in that the physical nature of the game is an adjustment. I have seen Jefferson play about 12 times and he's a player and the kind of guy you want on your roster. He is not the PF type Duke could use, but he is actually listed as a PF by many in the know on the recruiting front. The bottom line is he's a baller and would add some length to the team. Duke is in very good shape for his services.
    Thanks, Watzone, for your insights. Glad to hear we are still well positioned. I am excited about the prospect of having Amile come on board. After a far-too-early tourney exit and given the fairly long hiatus since our first/last 2012 commitment, I am prone (like many others) to view even average Joe prospects as very desirable, well beyond their actual merit. I've tried to be cognizant of that tendency in thinking about Amile, and I genuinely think Amile is a high quality prospect and could be a true difference maker if he were to come aboard, perhaps not as much as a freshman but certainly later in his college tenure. Thanks as always, Watzone.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Watzone, you are SUCH a tease!

Any more word from the coaches' visit up to Philly this week? Any better indication of WHEN news of the announcement variety might be expected?

I take Olympic's and Watzone's (and other) posts to heart. This is not Kyrie Irving we're talking about here, who was able to come in and have huge impact from day one. But he is a top-20 consensus recruit, and quite importantly fills a clear need on this team for next year - that being versatile "length" and some size. My sense is that he's a good "chemistry" guy, a la Shane Battier (though maybe not quite with those physical abilities yet).
    Last edited by -bdbd; 03-21-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Watzone, you are SUCH a tease!

Any more word from the coaches' visit up to Philly this week? Any better indication of WHEN news of the announcement variety might be expected?

I take Olympic's and Watzone's (and other) posts to heart. This is not Kyrie Irving we're talking about here, who was able to come in and have huge impact from day one. But he is a top-20 consensus recruit, and quite importantly fills a clear need on this team for next year - that being versatile "length" and some size. My sense is that he's a good "chemistry" guy, a la Shane Battier (though maybe not quite with those physical abilities yet).
    FWIW, Brick Oettinger (ACC Sports Journal), who is far and away the best recruiting analyst out there in my view, has Amile at #8 in the class, and has said that he would be a perfect fit for Duke. Brick also has Parker at #14, a bit higher than some other analysts.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    FWIW, Brick Oettinger (ACC Sports Journal), who is far and away the best recruiting analyst out there in my view, has Amile at #8 in the class, and has said that he would be a perfect fit for Duke. Brick also has Parker at #14, a bit higher than some other analysts.
    This is why I prefer the RSCI. It averages all the major recruiting services, so that you don't put too much weight on one outlier opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    This is why I prefer the RSCI. It averages all the major recruiting services, so that you don't put too much weight on one outlier opinion.
    I hear you, though I would say that some opinions are more credible than others. I have been following recruiting for nearly 30 years (and have subscribed to the Sports Journal/Poop Sheet for about that long), and would stack up Oettinger's track record against anyone's. FWIW, I believe the Duke staff places more value on his opinions than on those of other analysts/services. Not that they place a lot, mind you, and certainly more on his descriptions and evaluations rather than ratings per se.

Skills

I missed Amile in the skills competition tonight but I heard good things. Anyone able to offer some insights as to how he did? Love the notion of a relative big in the skill comp.

McD Video

An Amile interview from the McDonald's festivities LINK

There's a lot of ambient noise in the video and I couldn't turn the volume up too high here at work, but I believe I heard "unbelievable" interspersed with "Coach K" and "Duke" a couple times. Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post

There's a lot of ambient noise in the video and I couldn't turn the volume up too high here at work, but I believe I heard "unbelievable" interspersed with "Coach K" and "Duke" a couple times. Sounds good.
    Definitely had some nice things to say about Coach K. Talked about how Duke combines both academics and basketball. He also had lots of positive things to say about NC State. I'm always nervous when I hear someone drop a reference to UK and Calipari and talk about how that program would be "unbelievable." But I certainly like that he specifically mentioned Duke twice, called Coach K the greatest and and said it would be a dream to play for him someday. Can't complain with that.

I love our chances with him after hearing that interview! He sounded extremely high on Duke!!

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post

Certainly sounded high on Duke! But I guess you never really know til you know, you know?

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Certainly sounded high on Duke! But I guess you never really know til you know, you know?

- Chillin
    Really liked the fact that he mentioned Duke and I was happy to hear he is very interested in what Duke can offer him as a student and not just as a basketball player. I think he has a lot of respect for Duke as an academic institution which is always good to hear from kids these days.