Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    It is 11 bodies, but positionally we're still weak at the 3 if Andre doesn't practice, as we've been discussing for the last several months. Scrimmages could look like this, with the usual disclaimer that I know Coach K doesn't play positions:

PG: Tyler vs. Quinn
    SG: Seth vs. Rasheed
    SF: Alex vs. ?
    PF Ryan vs. Josh
    C: Plumlee v. Plumlee

I guess Todd Z. could go against Ryan while Josh goes against Alex, but we can see how vital a role Alex will play as the only "big versatile wing" on our roster. I agree with you though that we'll be fine even if we don't add anyone as this core group of guys is pretty darn solid.
    I'd be surprised if Hairston spent time on Murphy in practice. I'd imagine that a walk-on would fill the role, as it makes more sense for Hairston to be practicing in the situations that he'll face in a game (which will be at the PF spot). But yes, there's a missing piece if Dawkins doesn't practice and we don't land a recruit or a transfer.

Murphy's development, along with the development of a playmaking guard (whether it be Curry, Sulaimon, Cook, or Thornton) will be critical in our team's success.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    This is how he has State fans feeling LINK

Hopefully we are a bit more level-headed on this side, albeit still interested and invested in the young man's decision.

On another note, this probably has been discussed already, but, just curious - if Amile goes elsewhere and Andre redshirts, I count 10 young men on the active roster for next season? Will we have walk-ons or somehow otherwise gain a few additional student athletes, or will we go to war with 10 guys?
    Duke would almost certainly add some walk-ons in this scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Good points. I guess I'm worrying about injuries and other unforeseen circumstances. I suppose if we have the core rotation of 8 plus 2 that will be sufficient unless something drastic happens.
    Sure, we're susceptible to injury. But I don't think adding a walk-on or other non-recruited athlete is likely to change anything with regard to injuries.

We still have pretty decent depth everywhere except SF. We have 4 bigs with at least a year's experience in the system (3 of them with 2+ years of playing experience), 2 PG with experience, one combo guard with 4 years of experience and one with quite a high school pedigree, and a SF with a year's experience in the system. And possibly a senior SG/SF with great shooting touch and athleticism. That's about as deep as we're going to get as a team, though not the most versatile group. But unless some drastic injuries occur, we'll be fine in terms of depth.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke would almost certainly add some walk-ons in this scenario.
    The name Myles Jones comes to mind in this scenario and he was briefly discussed in the 2012 thread. He will be attending Duke next year on what now looks like a LAX scholly (but can change if he "walks-on" for the bball team).

He would be one to help bang around Murphy in practice and get him ready.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    The name Myles Jones comes to mind in this scenario and he was briefly discussed in the 2012 thread. He will be attending Duke next year on what now looks like a LAX scholly (but can change if he "walks-on" for the bball team).

He would be one to help bang around Murphy in practice and get him ready.
    Yes--though presumably he'd have to bow out after Christmas to play LAX--because even though the scholarship would apparently count against basketball under NCAA rules, he has gotten it so he can play lacrosse, so that would come first. Still, if we are really short, it might be a valuable contribution just to have him for practice in the fall. Don't know whether Duke has ever used a part-season walk-on that way.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    "...I'll probably pick a date [to announce my decision] soon."

Sounds like another announcement show forthcoming. Can't wait to hear the OBGYN describe what it was like delivering Amile...

It's May 3. School starts in just a couple of short months. I don't understand what information Amile could still be seeking that he doesn't already have. Declarations for the NBA are in. All the high school players whose commitments could reasonably affect Amile's choice, have made their decisions. What does he need to know in order to make his decision, that he doesn't already know? Son, you gotta make a call here.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    It's May 3. School starts in just a couple of short months. I don't understand what information Amile could still be seeking that he doesn't already have. Declarations for the NBA are in. All the high school players whose commitments could reasonably affect Amile's choice, have made their decisions. What does he need to know in order to make his decision, that he doesn't already know? Son, you gotta make a call here.
    Lance Thomas hadn't committed quite yet, either. There are 4 other top-100 prospects (2 other top-25) that haven't decided yet either. It's a big decision. Additionally, there are two guys (Pollard and Bennett) whose decisions may very well affect his playing time. As such, I am perfectly fine with him taking his time. What harm is there in waiting a couple more weeks?

Not only that but at Duke incoming players often take summer sessions to get acclimated to the school, earn some credits, and get a head start on offseason work. I would think that the first session starts really soon.

To your other point, here are factors that could still affect his decision (no, do not take them seriously):
    - Calipari leaving for the NBA
    - Dawkins making a final decision on whether to redshirt
    - Players from other programs deciding to transfer
    - Decisions from the handful of other uncommitted players in his class
    - Wiggins reclassifying to 2013 (which could affect playing time next year)
    - The NBA draft lottery (to determine which teams get what picks), which will affect the entire NBA landscape next season and could have indirect repercussions
    - alignment of the planets
    - the apocalypse

Maybe he's trying to focus on some things in school. The article linked on the previous page says that he is in the process of finishing up his senior service project. Maybe schools have told him to take as long as he wants. Maybe one of his parents is away on business. Maybe he's waiting for a full moon.

We don't know, and frankly shouldn't be telling anyone what they should and shouldn't do. It pretty much seems that he needs to make his decision before classes start in the fall. That's about it.

Not only that but at Duke incoming players often take summer sessions to get acclimated to the school, earn some credits, and get a head start on offseason work. I would think that the first session starts really soon.

To your other point, here are factors that could still affect his decision (no, do not take them seriously):
    - The NBA draft lottery (to determine which teams get what picks), which will affect the entire NBA landscape next season and could have indirect repercussions
    - the apocalypse
    Yeah but the end of the world isn't coming until December. He has to make a decision before then, right? I'm mean, I can see holding off on your Christmas shopping to see if there will actually be a Christmas but the basketball season starts in October (practice at least). As for your point about Calipari, we should have an answer about that next week after the Nicks get swept by Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Maybe he's trying to focus on some things in school. The article linked on the previous page says that he is in the process of finishing up his senior service project. Maybe schools have told him to take as long as he wants. Maybe one of his parents is away on business. Maybe he's waiting for a full moon.

We don't know, and frankly shouldn't be telling anyone what they should and shouldn't do. It pretty much seems that he needs to make his decision before classes start in the fall. That's about it.
    Except that I think it begins to show disrespect for the coaching staffs at all schools (particularly if when he makes the decision he does the ESPN look-at-me special). Hopefully, that will not happen and everyone will hear in the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Except that I think it begins to show disrespect for the coaching staffs at all schools (particularly if when he makes the decision he does the ESPN look-at-me special). Hopefully, that will not happen and everyone will hear in the next week.
    I don't think he has disrespected any coaches. He's been quiet and reserved about the whole thing and all the speculation has come from outside sources. The ESPN look-at-me special was one night on signing day and it was the top 2 recruits in the country.

- the apocalypse
    The closing of BBQ joints near campus in Durham or lexington. Oh wait, ky doesn't have REAL BBQ!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    1. You don't know that those coaching staffs haven't told the kid to take as much time as he needs to make the right decision.
    2. The "if he goes on ESPN" is a pretty big IF.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    I don't think he has disrespected any coaches. He's been quiet and reserved about the whole thing and all the speculation has come from outside sources. The ESPN look-at-me special was one night on signing day and it was the top 2 recruits in the country.
    Of course, Tony Parker also had an hour long look-at-me event and he was not ranked 1 or 2. I hope Amile does not do this; regardless of where he plays next year.

I understand that this is frustrating to us fans, especially this year when everyone would really like to add another recruit, but other extremely viable options have begun competing for Amile's services relatively recently, and it is clear that he feels the need to consider strongly. Due to this fact in particular, I completely understand his desire to take his time. While I do believe he's having trouble making up his mind, I really doubt he's stringing people along to try and gain attention. If he is, then he's not the guy a lot of us think him to be, but for me, taking some extra time isn't really hurting anything other than our patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I understand that this is frustrating to us fans, especially this year when everyone would really like to add another recruit, but other extremely viable options have begun competing for Amile's services relatively recently, and it is clear that he feels the need to consider strongly. Due to this fact in particular, I completely understand his desire to take his time. While I do believe he's having trouble making up his mind, I really doubt he's stringing people along to try and gain attention. If he is, then he's not the guy a lot of us think him to be, but for me, taking some extra time isn't really hurting anything other than our patience.
    besides....what choice do we have?? lol

I still say that much of this is over thinking the situation. Sure you are choosing a school, but after you have the basics about the university, seen the facilities, met the coaching staffs, yada, yada, yada what else do you need to know? Pick the one that feels right, and if they all feel right pick the one your mom likes or is closer to home or the farthest from home or has the best looking co-eds.

Paralysis by analysis... will I get more PT at Duke or NCSU? What if so and so reshirts, maybe Billy Bob will transfer, what if, what if, what if... If you are good enough and work hard you'll get on the court... I mean if you really are that worried about PT then go to a mid major and start for 4 years.

Hey it's the kids decision, not mine or anyone else's so my opinion on it doesn't mean squat, but I do worry about indecisiveness...

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I still say that much of this is over thinking the situation. Sure you are choosing a school, but after you have the basics about the university, seen the facilities, met the coaching staffs, yada, yada, yada what else do you need to know? Pick the one that feels right, and if they all feel right pick the one your mom likes or is closer to home or the farthest from home or has the best looking co-eds.

Paralysis by analysis... will I get more PT at Duke or NCSU? What if so and so reshirts, maybe Billy Bob will transfer, what if, what if, what if... If you are good enough and work hard you'll get on the court... I mean if you really are that worried about PT then go to a mid major and start for 4 years.

Hey it's the kids decision, not mine or anyone else's so my opinion on it doesn't mean squat, but I do worry about indecisiveness....
    The boys are concerned that they're concerned with decisiveness, it's a hard logic to follow. Tentative decisions...