Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 493
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

    Amile Jefferson Recruiting Thread

    Please use this thread to discuss Jefferson's recruitment. Please stay on topic.

    "[T]he tarnished Tar Heels that bear little resemblance to the revered program built by Dean Smith."- Ashville Times
    "UNC and the NCAA are trying to conceal that the fraud was specifically designed to pad the transcripts of varsity athletes" - Bloomberg

  2. #2

    I posted this in the new 2012 and thought I'd put it here where it should be

    Originally Posted by dukedoc
    The somewhat odd thing about Amile's recruitment recently (although it certainly doesn't approach the cumulative "oddness" of TP's recruitment) is that we've gone through multiple rounds of "the decision is on the brink". Most recently his Dad indicated that he would decide between last Friday and yesterday - i.e. pretty specific.

    He hasn't announced so one needs to wonder if something has changed or come up recently. I presume that his father wouldn't put a clear timeline on the announcement unless they were pretty darn certain which way they were headed with this. The only things I've heard of that have happened recently are a visit back to Temple to tour their facilities, the recent performances of Duke and NCSU in the ACCT, and NCSU's inclusion in the tourney. I have a hard time believing that any of those things would be very impactful on his decision though.
    Maybe the inclusion of Temple back into the Big East has given him second thoughts? I know the BE is still changing and could be in jeopardy of blowing up; but as of right now, with the inclusion of Memphos and Temple, the BE is still a pretty impressive basketball league even with Syracuse and Pitt leaving. And who knows, maybe NC State is giving one final push to say "here look at us, we made it to the tournament this year and we're going to be better next year. And depending on what Leslie does, you can help up us contend for the ACC and NC next year".

  3. I'm wondering whether it could be Mason or Austin indicating to the staff that they will likely return next year, and that then having an impact on recruiting?
    http://cornerplay.com - the Shane Battier of tech blogs

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    My baseless speculative theorizing leads me to believe that Amile is waiting to see what happens with CJ Leslie and Mason Plumlee before deciding.

    Can anyone prove or disprove that theory?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    My baseless speculative theorizing leads me to believe that Amile is waiting to see what happens with CJ Leslie and Mason Plumlee before deciding.

    Can anyone prove or disprove that theory?

    I can only prove it with hearsay

    It makes sense to me, but if that is the case, why at any point would they come out and say were going to make an announcement soon? If that were an important factor...and to me it is, why wouldn't they (he and his Dad) just say from the beginning that we will announce after the season is completed?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    It makes sense to me, but if that is the case, why at any point would they come out and say were going to make an announcement soon? If that were an important factor...and to me it is, why wouldn't they (he and his Dad) just say from the beginning that we will announce after the season is completed?
    Maybe he wasn't expecting State to make the tournament, so they figured they could talk to the State coaching staff this week and get a feel for whether Leslie was going to stay? Just tossing out ideas here.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    DC and DE Beach
    This is an Amile Jefferson thread (not a C J Leslie thread). Can we PLEASE keep it that way??

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Is there anything to indicate Amile would pick a team other than Duke or State? Any good evidence for Nova or another?
    Last edited by Newton_14; 03-14-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: removed off topic content

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    I'll be honest the idea of him continuing to wait only convinces me that this poor young man hasn't the slightest idea where he wants to go. Wasn't it Zag's Blog who recently said it seemed a committment to Duke seemed near. I think, and this is just my gut feeling, that if he was ready to make any decision he'd have made it. Obviously the continued delay in his announcement only means he needs more time to make up his mind. He is a kid so I guess we should expect some indecisiveness. It is only nautral.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by westwall View Post
    This is an Amile Jefferson thread (not a C J Leslie thread). Can we PLEASE keep it that way??
    Well my post concerning Leslie was a continuation of our discussion that Jefferson might be waiting to see what Leslie does before deciding, thus the timing of his decision. I think that's pretty on topic.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Durham
    There have been some varied rumors floating around today, many of which seemed to suggest Amile was going to announce for NCSU soon. It's been hard to tell truth from fiction (as per usual). It seems many of our Duke-fan-brethren (particular those who frequent the other boards) are in a paranoid-negativity phase in the wake of our loss last night. FWIW,

    PackInsider.com ‏ @PackInsider
    There were some Amile Jefferson rumors floating around earlier today, but we have confirmed that the NC State staff believes hes still 50/50

    Anyone hear anything with any greater substance and semblance of value other than these various rumors?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Durham

    Ronald McDonald

    Amile visited by the Mickey D's crew in celebration of his honor LINK

    "I definitely have ideas [about where I want to go]," said Jefferson, who added, with a smile, "The problem is, those ideas change every day. I think it's because it's about the biggest decision I've had to make. I'm thinking about it all the time - in fact, I'm thinking about it right now. Hopefully, [my thought process] will lead to a decision real soon."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Lance Thomas is the recent Duke player who seems most similar to Amile Jefferson.

    As I recall, Lance's recruitment also stretched waaay out and he didn't announce until May.
    So we'll see how it plays out.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Lance Thomas is the recent Duke player who seems most similar to Amile Jefferson.

    As I recall, Lance's recruitment also stretched waaay out and he didn't announce until May.
    So we'll see how it plays out.
    Coach K should call up Amile every day (if that's legal) and remind him that Lance Thomas is in the NBA. Lance doesn't have half the skill set of Amile, but he developed at Duke into a great defender. Come to Duke Amile!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    Coach K should call up Amile every day (if that's legal) and remind him that Lance Thomas is in the NBA. Lance doesn't have half the skill set of Amile, but he developed at Duke into a great defender. Come to Duke Amile!
    If Amile has twice the skill set of Lance, then I have seriously underestimated Mr. Jefferson. What about Amile's game that you've seen suggests he is completely superior to Lance at the same stage in their careers?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Durham

    Up in Philly

    At least our staff is using the time gained from our early tourney exit productively

    TheDevilsDen.com ‏ @TheDevilsDen
    Duke coaches flew North today for a visit with Mr.Jefferson.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Nashville
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    If Amile has twice the skill set of Lance, then I have seriously underestimated Mr. Jefferson. What about Amile's game that you've seen suggests he is completely superior to Lance at the same stage in their careers?
    I think Lance was probably a little quicker/stronger and more of a scrapper, physically, but I think Amile is pretty clearly a superior scorer. The guy led the NBPA Top 100 camp in scoring last summer, and that camp had pretty much anybody who was anybody: http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/06/n...ders-recaps-2/

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I think Lance was probably a little quicker/stronger and more of a scrapper, physically, but I think Amile is pretty clearly a superior scorer. The guy led the NBPA Top 100 camp in scoring last summer, and that camp had pretty much anybody who was anybody: http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/06/n...ders-recaps-2/
    Amile scores 17.5 ppg. Lance scored 14.5 ppg in his senior year of high school. So Amile's probably a better scorer, but I don't think we know if he is "clearly superior."

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    On the couch
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Amile scores 17.5 ppg. Lance scored 14.5 ppg in his senior year of high school. So Amile's probably a better scorer, but I don't think we know if he is "clearly superior."
    Well to know for sure, you would have to compare more than just ppg, you would need to look at the teams they played on and competed against to draw much of a conclusion. I mean if Lance was playing against really tough competition and Amile was in a patsy league or vice versa.....

    Also, did either have another stud player on their team that shared in scoring????

    See what I mean....

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Well to know for sure, you would have to compare more than just ppg, you would need to look at the teams they played on and competed against to draw much of a conclusion. I mean if Lance was playing against really tough competition and Amile was in a patsy league or vice versa.....

    Also, did either have another stud player on their team that shared in scoring????

    See what I mean....
    Yeah. It is just very hard to reliably evaluate a player's scoring ability (or any ability, really) coming out of highschool. The level of competition and style of play are just too wildly different to know which skills will translate and which will not. Even sure things (see: Barnes, Harrison) don't always pan out or transition as fluidly as expected. And sometimes the opposite happens, and an unheralded recruit blows everyone out of the water.

    I guess this is why it is common to see player comparisons that stretch a recruit's potential beyond all reason. A player can be the next Dunleavy, the next Singler, the next Boozer, and flat-out overrated -- all at the same time.

    So will Amile prove to be a better scorer than Lance? If I had to guess, I would say probably; but we won't know the answer to that question for a long time.
    "With seven national titles and 20 Final Fours in the 64-team NCAA Tournament era, Duke and UNC have had more playoff success than any other CONFERENCE." - Al Featherston

Similar Threads

  1. New 2012 Recruiting Thread
    By Newton_14 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 467
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 01:50 AM
  2. Duke Basketball Recruiting getting hot-Goodman, Jefferson
    By watzone in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 01:19 PM
  3. Richard Jefferson Gives $3.5M to AZ
    By dukemomLA in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 07:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •