Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    If you are on a LAX scholarship but playing on the basketball team, I believe the scholarship counts against the basketball limit of 13 scholarships. It may not be a problem if he can play. And it is possible we may have a scholarship or two available.

sagegrouse
    Great catch Sage. I knew better than that. You are 100% correct of course. He either has to take a hoops scholly or no scholly at all and walkon in both sports. Even with that though, we do have room for him unless all 3 of Jefferson, Parker, and Hood come in. Losing Austin and Mike G puts us at 10 for now. Todd would have to give his scholly up if we add 3 more scholarship players as well.

If you are on a LAX scholarship but playing on the basketball team, I believe the scholarship counts against the basketball limit of 13 scholarships. It may not be a problem if he can play. And it is possible we may have a scholarship or two available.

sagegrouse
    Isn't there a provision that a player can have a scholly in the lesser sport and participate in the more major sport after a year or two without counting against the limit in the more major sport? i.e. Greg Paulus was eligible to play football on a basketball scholarship after one or two years of basketball

If this is the case, would Todd be able to practice with the team without dressing for games and not count against the scholly limit?

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Great catch Sage. I knew better than that. You are 100% correct of course. He either has to take a hoops scholly or no scholly at all and walkon in both sports. Even with that though, we do have room for him unless all 3 of Jefferson, Parker, and Hood come in. Losing Austin and Mike G puts us at 10 for now. Todd would have to give his scholly up if we add 3 more scholarship players as well.
    I assume, though, that because his scholarship is for lax (even though it would also count against basketball), he could play basketball on a space-available basis from year to year, dropping off the team without interrupting his education if a future big recruiting class were to require his spot . That might be a good situation all around.

I am really glad to hear he didn't change his mind about coming to Duke to play lacrosse--because he is apparently a very promising lacrosse player--on the UnderArmour All-American team last year, where Insidelacrosse.com described him as folows:
    "Arguably the most impressive physical specimen on the field (folks in the Under Armour tent were confusing him for one of the LXM PRO players). Jones still has some room to develop his overall game, but his shot from outside is monstrous, and his size driving the middle can give some defenders fits. Plus, dude can Dougie. That alone earns him some props. Finished with one goal and one assist."

He has been doing a PG year at Salisbury, which I think may be more about developing his stick skills for lacrosse than about academics, where he is apparently pretty solid.

Exceptions?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Isn't there a provision that a player can have a scholly in the lesser sport and participate in the more major sport after a year or two without counting against the limit in the more major sport? i.e. Greg Paulus was eligible to play football on a basketball scholarship after one or two years of basketball

If this is the case, would Todd be able to practice with the team without dressing for games and not count against the scholly limit?
    First, no, I think the rule quoted is plain on its face.

Second, Greg transferred, accepted a football scholarship at Syracuse, and had one year of eligibility in that he was within the five-year window of entering college. He did not have a hoops scholarship at Syracuse. Now, football takes precedent over basketball, so if Greg had also played football at Duke at the same time as basketball, he would have counted against football, not hoops.

Your third point, about practicing with the team and not playing is correct. I have not heard of any limitations on practice for men's basketball involving non-scholarship students, except those that are in the pros (Kyrie, for example). The Div I NCAA rules can be downloaded in a minute or so, if you want to check.

sagegrouse

Anyone have stats on his size, weight? Either cinder blocks or inches are OK. I didn't see that info in the articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Anyone have stats on his size, weight? Either cinder blocks or inches are OK. I didn't see that info in the articles.
    I believe on the other board it was listed that he is 6'5, 230.

... Second, Greg transferred, accepted a football scholarship at Syracuse, and had one year of eligibility in that he was within the five-year window of entering college. He did not have a hoops scholarship at Syracuse. Now, football takes precedent over basketball, so if Greg had also played football at Duke at the same time as basketball, he would have counted against football, not hoops. ...

sagegrouse
    I recall that Greg would have been eligible to play football AT DUKE in his sophmore or junior year, but not in the first year or two upon accepting his basketball scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post
    yes that's him. I was about to post this earlier then I got busy at work. He looks pretty solid, maybe a little underseized for SF (in height, not actual size) but still looks really athletic and a pretty good bball player.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    yes that's him. I was about to post this earlier then I got busy at work. He looks pretty solid, maybe a little underseized for SF (in height, not actual size) but still looks really athletic and a pretty good bball player.
    He's not undersized at all for SF. 6'5" is a perfectly reasonable height for that position, especially given his strength. If anything, he appears to be more of an undersized PF, though he appears to have pretty solid ballhandling skills. Definitely a good athlete. Didn't look exceptionally quick/fast, but clearly strong and can jump pretty well.

I doubt he'd play much if he came to Duke, but he could certainly help in practice. So does anyone know the "most up to date information" regarding him? Is he coming to Duke to play lacrosse? Is he coming to Duke at all?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post
    Yup, that's him. You can see him score a goal in the UnderArmour All-American lacrosse game at around 1:32 of this video (followed by a Dougie demo) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfhG0utDIAU

There are also Youtube football highlights of Jones. Don't know if he has played football at Salisbury but he was the QB (of course) at his previous high school.
    Edit: See this question was already answered.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    He's not undersized at all for SF. 6'5" is a perfectly reasonable height for that position, especially given his strength. If anything, he appears to be more of an undersized PF, though he appears to have pretty solid ballhandling skills. Definitely a good athlete. Didn't look exceptionally quick/fast, but clearly strong and can jump pretty well.

I doubt he'd play much if he came to Duke, but he could certainly help in practice. So does anyone know the "most up to date information" regarding him? Is he coming to Duke to play lacrosse? Is he coming to Duke at all?
    According to the article I posted in the previous page, he recommitted to Duke to play LAX in early April after saying he wanted to explore his basketball options 2 weeks prior to that.

The article also states that he is going to speak to the bball coaches in the fall about being a possible walk-on. I'm not sure how that works and Sage and Newton have posted some discussion on that, but I hope it does. He could definitely help in practice.

Here it is:
    http://www.newenglandrecruitingrepor...-After-All.php

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

The last link Dukegirl4ever posted, from a couple of weeks ago, said he had decided to stick with his original plan and come to Duke to play lacrosse. Apparently, going to a strong academic school is important to him, and the kinds of schools who were expressing interest in him for basketball didn't look like they could compare to Duke on that score, at least based on the material linked in this thread. So that might have been a big factor.

Okay, beaten twice in 3 minutes--I think I don't need to post in this thread anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    According to the article I posted in the previous page, he recommitted to Duke to play LAX in early April after saying he wanted to explore his basketball options 2 weeks prior to that.

The article also states that he is going to speak to the bball coaches in the fall about being a possible walk-on. I'm not sure how that works and Sage and Newton have posted some discussion on that, but I hope it does. He could definitely help in practice.
    Sounds like he'd have to be on basketball scholarship. So if we're near the scholarship limit, it might not be an option to have him. Of course, if we're near the scholarship limit, that means we got at least one of Hood and Jefferson (and perhaps both). So in that scenario, it wouldn't be the end of the world if we didn't add a SF/PF practice player.

Football?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I recall that Greg would have been eligible to play football AT DUKE in his sophmore or junior year, but not in the first year or two upon accepting his basketball scholarship.
    I dunno, BD80. If Greg, however, had played both, his scholarship would have counted against football not basketball.

sagegrouse

Flipping the script on the Scholly count...
    Wasn't there a recent recruit who was a 2 sport star in HS for FB and BB?
    Any chance we get a walk-on from the FB team? Prolly doubtful, but had to ask..

Woulda Shoulda Coulda

Poythress into Scout's Top 10 for 2012. Rankings aren't everything, but the collective remorse of many of us during the recent all star festivities that we moved away from him is reflected in Scout's assessment of his recent performance.

Also, Sheed at 12, and TP and Amile at 20/21.

LINK

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Poythress into Scout's Top 10 for 2012. Rankings aren't everything, but the collective remorse of many of us during the recent all star festivities that we moved away from him is reflected in Scout's assessment of his recent performance.

LINK
    Even though they have him at #12 overall, Scout's list has Rasheed Sulaimon as the top-rated guard in the land. (although in my mind Kyle Anderson is a guard, and he's rated ahead of Rasheed.)

Also of note: Mitch McGary, who had risen as high as #2 overall in the heat of his recruitment, now comes in at #26. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post

LINK
    Most interesting change in those rankings to me is the free fall of Mitch McGary to 26. Wasn't he inside everyone's top 10 (even top 5) last summer?
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Yes, Indeedy!

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Flipping the script on the Scholly count...
    Wasn't there a recent recruit who was a 2 sport star in HS for FB and BB?
    Any chance we get a walk-on from the FB team? Prolly doubtful, but had to ask..
    His name was Julius Peppers, and he spurned Duke for UNC. Played hoops until he couldn't stand Doherty any longer.

Unless, of course, you are thinking of Reggie Love, the bearer of the sacred Blackberry.

sagegrouse