Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    My apologies for perpetuating it. I misread the original.
    No apologies necessary, unless you wrote the blog post on C2Crecruiting, and even then, really, no apologies necessary. Sorry about the flaming all caps--I guess I am a little cranky today.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    You're right. I read the LAT article today.

I'm also reading something other than "Shabazz and his dad are all good with UCLA and Howland, post-SI and post-this awful year" that some are interpreting from his dad's words. His father basically says "we're happy for Coach Howland. We're happy for them (UCLA)." Not anything like "we're happy UCLA has decided to keep this excellent coach who we feel a strong connection with and therefore we continue to strongly consider UCLA as a destination for Shabazz." It's more like "they can do what they want. Good for them, but I'm not saying it's gonna make it OK for us."
    I agree--there is nothing in this article that offers any new information on where Shabazz will go to college--though the reporter--and even more, the headline writer--tried to make the most of the Shabazz angle to make it seem like a bigger story.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Nashville View Post
    Can anyone provide the Olympic schedule for USA basketball this summer? When will practices start and how will this play into the pending recruit's intensions? Just how I am thinking if we do not sign anyone else in this class we will be ok. However, we would have to have a heavier recruiting class for '13. From what I understand the coaches were recruiting pretty hard this past year for 2013.
    USA basketball actually has a pretty good website, where you can follow both the Olympic planning and the various youth teams. According to the site, training begins in Las Vegas July 6; Olympic pool play begins July 29. Not sure when they have to make the final cuts, but the team leaves for England July 17, so it may be around then.

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/na..._training.html

Seems like 2012 recruiting decisions should all be made by then. I assume the assistant coaches will keep working on 2013 recruiting as needed in July and August.

Shabazz

This might be more appropriate in his own thread, but I was wondering if the insiders (Airowe, Watzone, etc) know or have a better idea of where we stand IRT Shabazz? I do my best to follow all recruiting updates made available to the public, but I find you insiders generally have a better feel for the situation than the rest of us. Do you guys know if he's leaning towards a specific school or where Duke stands? Does he have a short list? It seems to me that list would be Kentucky, UCLA, Duke, UNLV, and Kansas, but I'm not certain. Please, if you wouldnt mind, I'd love to hear your perspectives on his recruitment and where you think Duke stands.

I think by now we all know Shabazz intends on being a 1-and-done. It appears he wants to attend a school where he can be an integral part of the team that has a good chance at winning a national championship. It also seems like he is interested in a school where he can get a lot of exposure so that he can build his brand before entering the nba so that he can earn big endorsement contracts before playing his first nba game. Im not really sure if he has specified what kind of system he likes to run, but in terms of Duke, Coach K builds his system based on personnel so i'm not sure that really matters for us.

I feel like, given the things hes looking for mentioned above (and please if I forgot something he said let me know), Duke has to be high on his list. First, I know that we have a decent shot at winning the NCAA's every year, but next year could be a really good year for us, especially if Mason stays. If Mason stays, I think we have a really good shot. If he leaves, our front court is gonna suffer in almost every facet of the post game. We'll lack height, experience, talent (although we dont know how much Marshall brings to the table and we dont really know how much Josh brings to the table but we have a good idea), and depth, which is why I think Mason staying is so important. If he stays, I think it makes Duke an attractive place for Shabazz IRT winning a championship. Second, he has to realize our current team on the court this season lacks a player with his skill set. This Duke team is struggling with some of the taller athletic teams we play against without that prototypical Duke wing: 6'6-6'9 athletic, long, attacks the rim etc. Given his talent, he should be able to come in next year and fill that void extremely well. He will earn enough minutes to make his presence known nationally. I know people on this board like to remind everyone that we have Gbinije and Murphy and that they can play that typical Duke "3", and dont get me wrong, I think both players can and will play that Duke 3 and play it well, but Shabazz seems like one of those elite elite talents that no team can pass up on. (on a side note unrelated, I do share the same concerns as others that if Shabazz commits we might see Silent G on the bench again next year which, given his talent and how highly rated we was coming out of HS, might lead him to transfer, but thats for another thread). Third, if he wants to build his brand and receive national exposure, whats a better place to do that than Duke? almost all our games are nationally televised and we have the most important figure in college hoops as our head coach.

One thing I think might make Shabazz not want to come to Duke is Rivers. If Rivers goes to the nba but isnt projected as a lottery pick, or if he stays, I can see Shabazz questioning whether Duke is right for him. This is not intended to be a knock on Rivers, K, or our program, but a lot of people though Rivers was a guaranteed lotto pick before he put on that Duke jersey, and if he doesn't make it in the lotto, isnt projected to go in the lotto, or returns to school, I can see Shabazz being concerned that Duke might not be the best school to go to if he wants to be a 1-and-done. again thats not a knock on our program, but I could see him thinking, and more importantly, other schools on his list coaches saying "well Duke couldnt make Rivers a lotto pick, but we can make you a lotto pick, so you hsould come here" or somehting along those lines. Just a thought.

Anyway, as i mentioned earlier, if any insiders have a better feel for the whole situation, im sure we would all like to hear it. I just hope Shabazz sees the opportunity he has in front of him at Duke and capitalizes on it.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuke View Post
    My gut says I really think Duke only gets the one recruit they already have. I really hope I'm wrong. Seems to me the best recruits Duke could have for 2012-13 are that Mason and Austin look in the mirror and see they could both use another year of playing in college. Mason could have left twice already, and while he has shown improvement this season, his ability to dominate in the paint is still second rate. Austin has shown a lot of improvement over this season but could still use some tweaking. Maybe Austin stays and gets Bazz to come join in! It goes with out saying that Duke could really use a wing of his size and skill level. Let's just hope there is merit in this:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...o_Play_At_Duke

Another concern is if Duke only has one scholarship available at this time and no one leaves, does it come down to who commits first?
    I would LOVE Shabazz to come on down to Durham. However, I don't think a 6-6 to 6-8 wing will be a problem for us next season. I fully expect both Mike and Alex to be ready to go next season. If Austin and Mason stay, there would obviously be some tough decisions for the staff to make regarding the rotation. However, despite the fact that Mike hasn't quite been able to crack the rotation this year, I would be surprised if, after an offseason of improving, he's not totally ready to go next season, especially in the event that Mason and Austin depart. If both of those guys depart, I would not be surprised to see Alex and Mike on the court at the same time next season, with Mike getting minutes at the three spot and Alex playing the 4 in the mold of Singler (at times), Deng, Battier, and even Dunleavy for the 2002 season.

Yeah, but Cake makes a good point. Even if you look at the date that college kids have to declare -- not withdraw, but declare in the first place -- even that date is several weeks after Bazz's father is indicating he's going to commit. I would think it's unlikely that everyone at places like Kentucky and Duke would have made their intention even to declare known by April 11.
    Whether or not the players have publicly made their intentions known, don't you think Coach K could privately tell a recruit, "we expect him to leave," if the player is leaning toward leaving? I'm sure K usually knows whether a player is staying or leaving long before the public announcement, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Whether or not the players have publicly made their intentions known, don't you think Coach K could privately tell a recruit, "we expect him to leave," if the player is leaning toward leaving? I'm sure K usually knows whether a player is staying or leaving long before the public announcement, don't you think?
    Yes, I do. I think he has a pretty good idea, but I'm sure sometimes kids change their minds too.

On another note, I see that with Mike D'Antoni resigning the Knicks job, the speculation has begun for who will be their next coach. ESPN, which is of uncertain reliability, at best, in these matters, lists Calipari as a strong possibility. If that is correct, query what impact will it have on the recruitment of Shabazz???

Yes, I do. I think he has a pretty good idea, but I'm sure sometimes kids change their minds too.

On another note, I see that with Mike D'Antoni resigning the Knicks job, the speculation has begun for who will be their next coach. ESPN, which is of uncertain reliability, at best, in these matters, lists Calipari as a strong possibility. If that is correct, query what impact will it have on the recruitment of Shabazz???

Even if he doesn't leave this time around, the fact that he's always in the discussion as a possible replacement every time a prominent NBA coaching position opens up, has got to make some recruits nervous. You don't have to worry about K. He's already proved his allegiance thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Even if he doesn't leave this time around, the fact that he's always in the discussion as a possible replacement every time a prominent NBA coaching position opens up, has got to make some recruits nervous. You don't have to worry about K. He's already proved his allegiance thoroughly.
    Well... most of his recruits don't plan on sticking around that long. So if he tells them he's guaranteed to be there another year, that's probably good enough.

That said, if I had to put money on who would be the next Knicks coach, I'd say Calipari given CAA's influence and the probable 6-year, 42 million dollar contract or whatever they'd offer him to do it. It'd be a perfect Knicks move. (Note: I'm a Knicks fan who nonetheless hates the team.) They could also easily keep Woodson since he's a former Isiah college teammate and is as much a puppet as their front office.

With Shabazz, I honestly think Duke is a great fit for what he wants and needs, especially in comparison to UCLA. That doesn't mean he'll come. I thought Shabazz's father's comments about UCLA were about as innocuous as what he says about every school Shabazz has in the mix.

Only Bazz and his family know what he's thinking.

He's sagely waiting until April so he has a solid idea of who's coaching each team, and what their respective rosters will look like.
    There are many different possible scenarios...easy to see his point of view.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    (Note: I'm a Knicks fan who nonetheless hates the team.)
    That's redundant.

(Note: I'm a Knicks fan who nonetheless hates the team.)
    So...do you wanna talk about it? The Knicks were riding so high in February!

Has there been any substantiated rumour about Cal to the NYK's? What about Phil Jackson?

Also, is UK really that strong a contender for Bazz? I thought UCLA and UNLV were stronger this past year.

Well... most of his recruits don't plan on sticking around that long. So if he tells them he's guaranteed to be there another year, that's probably good enough.
    My point was that K will NEVER be looking at NBA coaching positions. He has made it clear that the Duke head coaching position will be his last. Cal has not credibly made that same promise. No one can predict when a given NBA coaching position will open up, so even if Cal tells a recruit that he'll be around at least for his one and done year, the wise recruit would take that with a huge grain of salt. If something opens up the very next day, Cal may very well be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    So...do you wanna talk about it? The Knicks were riding so high in February!

Has there been any substantiated rumour about Cal to the NYK's? What about Phil Jackson?

Also, is UK really that strong a contender for Bazz? I thought UCLA and UNLV were stronger this past year.
    Even back in February, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I'm not sure any rumor with the Knicks is ever really substantiated, though I think you'll see me coach the Knicks before you see Phil Jackson work for Dolan coaching this horribly assembled group. I just think Calipari makes sense because it'd be a perfect Knicks move.

From my perspective, I'd characterize UK as a strong contender for anyone until they go somewhere else, or even sometimes after that. (I have no inside info, you'd have to talk to Airowe for that most likely, though I feel like the Muhammad camp has kept it pretty close to the vest.) I think UNLV would probably be the team I'd worry about the most. They're good, getting better and he lives there.

So if Duke fails to secure commits from Parker, Jefferson, or Shabazz, does anyone think or have knowledge that Duke would target a "PF-C" prospect outside of the top 100? Just wondering what "bigs" were left out there uncommited? I think sometimes the power of a body that gives "5 hard fouls" and clog the lane on defense is underestimated. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    So if Duke fails to secure commits from Parker, Jefferson, or Shabazz, does anyone think or have knowledge that Duke would target a "PF-C" prospect outside of the top 100? Just wondering what "bigs" were left out there uncommited? I think sometimes the power of a body that gives "5 hard fouls" and clog the lane on defense is underestimated. Thoughts?
    Why use a scholarship on someone unlikely to contribute next year or the year after? I'm assuming no, because we are locked into Class of 2013 targets right now.

We'll have Ryan, Josh, Alex and Marshall to play the 4 and 5. We're in good shape. We could really use Parker's wide stance, but are otherwise going to be alright.

I have no inside knowledge, but if no other recruits come, Mason and Rivers both leave, that leaves Duke in a tough situation with "only" 10 recruited players.
    Seniors - Seth, Andre, Ryan
    Juniors - Josh, Tyler
    Sophomores - Cook, Gbinijie
    Redshirt Freshmen - Murphy, Marshall P.
    Freshman - Sulaimon

I believe all these players will be solid and capable of contributing to a top-10 team nationally and coach K normally doesn't play more than 7 or 8 players in conference play. So, I don't know that a freshman big that is not ranked in the top 100 would be of huge value for the program, unless the staff feel that the player is a worthwhile project and someone that could improve greatly and contribute down the road. Of course, I am not on the coaching staff and expect the roster above is not likely to be the final one.

Why use a scholarship on someone unlikely to contribute next year or the year after? I'm assuming no, because we are locked into Class of 2013 targets right now.

We'll have Ryan, Josh, Alex and Marshall to play the 4 and 5. We're in good shape. We could really use Parker's wide stance, but are otherwise going to be alright.
    What is your definition of "contribute" for a PF or C? To me, a Big that can provide some defensive rebounding, altering a few shots, and giving some rest to MP2/3 sure could come in handy next year. I don't think you have to be a top 25 recruit to be able to provide that level of contribution as a freshman. Say 8-10 minutes/ 4-6 boards/ and a put-back or two seems reasonable to me.

I wonder how many of FSU's bigs were top 100 recruits? Not trying to be "snarky", just thinking out loud.

What is your definition of "contribute" for a PF or C? To me, a Big that can provide some defensive rebounding, altering a few shots, and giving some rest to MP2/3 sure could come in handy next year. I don't think you have to be a top 25 recruit to be able to provide that level of contribution as a freshman. Say 8-10 minutes/ 4-6 boards/ and a put-back or two seems reasonable to me.

I wonder how many of FSU's bigs were top 100 recruits? Not trying to be "snarky", just thinking out loud.
    Don't forget the value another big would have in practice. Granted Marshall, Alex, and Seth are/were top-100 level talents, but I find it hard to believe that they didn't contribute almost as much to this year's and the 2010 teams as guys playing 3-4 minutes per game.

I dont think Duke goes after another big. A freshman big man not ranked in the top 100 likely would not see the court at all. Marshall was top 100 and he redshirted this year. I think to the extent we changed things up late in the recruiting process this year, it was to go after Amile who is a top 25 guy. If we cannot get Amile or Tony Parker, I'd rather wait for the 2013 kids and not give a scholarship to a kid who is unlikely to play.

If Ryan plays the 5 for 30 minutes a game, and Marshall spells him for 10 minutes. We're good at the 5. If Alex starts at the 4 and splits time with Josh in some way, we're fine at the 4. That's not substantially different from our 4-5 rotation this year, actually.

If Ryan plays the 5 for 30 minutes a game, and Marshall spells him for 10 minutes. We're good at the 5. If Alex starts at the 4 and splits time with Josh in some way, we're fine at the 4. That's not substantially different from our 4-5 rotation this year, actually.
    Other than that it's a lot shorter. I have to think we're hoping for more than 10 mpg out of Marshall, and that Ryan will split time at the 4 and 5 (and also that Alex will play minutes at the 3).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke