Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    So why don't our other rising seniors (Seth, Ryan, and Andre) also get the assessment? That would help make the most of their last season in preparing to eventually play in the NBA. Is it already just blatantly obvious what they need to improve on?

Sorry for derailing this thread. I'm on pins and needles waiting for some announcements this week (hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So why don't our other rising seniors (Seth, Ryan, and Andre) also get the assessment?
    Do we know that they haven't? Unless I'm misunderstanding the whole thing, which I very well may be, I would assume that they applied for their assessments without much news or fanfare.

So why don't our other rising seniors (Seth, Ryan, and Andre) also get the assessment? That would help make the most of their last season in preparing to eventually play in the NBA. Is it already just blatantly obvious what they need to improve on?

Sorry for derailing this thread. I'm on pins and needles waiting for some announcements this week (hopefully).
    As Jderf said, I wouldn't be surprised if almost every rising senior with realistic NBA aspirations hasn't done so. It's just that guys like Curry and Dawkins have no expectation of going early, so nobody is asking them about it. Of course, it could be that, since they know they aren't going to go early and know their limitations, they simply don't go through the effort of filing the paperwork.

If you're Curry or Dawkins for example, you know there's 0% chance of getting drafted this year. That's likely to be true next year, too, but that's irrelevant. Curry knows he'd need to develop his ballhandling and passing skills because he'd have to play PG if he made it to the NBA. Dawkins knows he needs to improve his ballhandling and defense. So maybe it isn't worth the effort to file the paperwork just to hear that (a) you aren't going to be drafted this year and (b) you need to work on things that you already know you need to work on.

The NBA assessment is most helpful for the borderline guys to get a sense of (a) where they're projected now and (b) what they could do to improve their stock by returning.

I have read the cover letter from Stu Jackson that explains the NBA assessment, and it looked like it simply provided information (to the coach and/or player) on where the player was likely to be drafted, and even then it was pretty broad (lottery, late first round, second round, undrafted). It did not purport to give specific feedback on "areas to improve" or anything like that, so I don't know if there's much value for someone like Andre or Ryan to request one. Unless they were curious as to whether they would be more likely in the second round or undrafted if they went pro this year.

I will try to find a copy of the letter and post it here...if people are not too upset about the discussion going too far astray from recruiting. But seeing as how we already have specific threads on Parker, Muhammad, and Jefferson, hopefully the tangential way in which NBA feedback affecting draft decisions affects last-minute recruiting choices isn't too far off-topic.

EDIT: Here is the form in PDF. Draft Form

Question?

It's of no real importance now just something i'm trying to remember. Where was Alex Murphy ranked in this class before he bumped up a year? I want to say i remember him in the mid teens but I can't recall for sure.

I think Alex Murphy was around 18th

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    It's of no real importance now just something i'm trying to remember. Where was Alex Murphy ranked in this class before he bumped up a year? I want to say i remember him in the mid teens but I can't recall for sure.
    15th by ESPN, 41st once he reclassified...

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    15th by ESPN, 41st once he reclassified...
    However, after his year at Duke, he'd probably be #1:

Murphy is acclimating to an unfamiliar setting, learning a new system, increasing his quickness and adding muscle to a 6-foot-8, 220-pound frame during this lengthy dress rehearsal. The discrepancy between levels stood out to him two weeks ago when he watched St. Mark's, his high school team, play at the HighSchoolOT.com Holiday Invitational in Raleigh.

"I feel like I've gotten a lot better since I've been here," Murphy said. "Put me in that game right now, I might score 40 or 50 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    However, after his year at Duke, he'd probably be #1:
    If nothing else, I love hearing his confidence and swag from his comments. We could use more self-confidence out all of our returning players next year.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    If nothing else, I love hearing his confidence and swag from his comments. We could use more self-confidence out all of our returning players next year.
    We will definitely need at least one of our returning guys to step up and mitigate the loss of Austin's game-face/stare-down/scowl.
    Last edited by Jderf; 04-10-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Big ole recruiting article here. There's not really any news but the article covers pretty much everyone who has not yet picked a school.

I hope Dre has a breakout senior season next year. He is a good athlete and a great three point shooter. If he improves his defense and learns to attack the basket he might have a NBA future. Remember Rivers was a underated defender.

Quote Originally Posted by sterling View Post
    I hope Dre has a breakout senior season next year. He is a good athlete and a great three point shooter. If he improves his defense and learns to attack the basket he might have a NBA future.
    Quote Originally Posted by sterling View Post
    Remember Rivers was a underated defender.
    I'm not sure what the last sentence has to do with Dawkins. The two are completely different players with very different skillsets. Dawkins plays best almost exclusively off the ball, Rivers pretty much only plays on the ball. And Rivers isn't getting drafted for his defense.

Chad Ford's latest chat. Some GMs LOVE Austin Rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Chad Ford's latest chat. Some GMs LOVE Austin Rivers.
    As they should.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Scout predictions

Too many recruiting threads, so if this has been posted elsewhere, my apologies for re-posting [not very] "old news." That the "expert predictions" re Jefferson, Parker, and Bennett are unanimous - admittedly, 2 experts may not be what one normally thinks of as constituting unanimity, still ... - make me wonder whether their sources might be solid. Or are they truly just guessing??

Predictions are: Parker to UGa, Jefferson to NCSt, Bennett to UF.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1176015.html

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Too many recruiting threads, so if this has been posted elsewhere, my apologies for re-posting [not very] "old news." That the "expert predictions" re Jefferson, Parker, and Bennett are unanimous - admittedly, 2 experts may not be what one normally thinks of as constituting unanimity, still ... - make me wonder whether their sources might be solid. Or are they truly just guessing??

Predictions are: Parker to UGa, Jefferson to NCSt, Bennett to UF.http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1176015.html
    I have to confess...I just don't care much about Parker and Jefferson at this point.
    Does this make me a bad fan?

This endless speculation and dithering by these two have worn me out.
    Neither strike me as a great talent, though perhaps that's wrong.
    Both have had more than ample opportunity to assess Duke, Coach K, the college basketball world in general, and still have not made up their mind.
    If they don't see the benefit of coming to Duke, so be it. We can move on with next year's team.

Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I have to confess...I just don't care much about Parker and Jefferson at this point.

Both have had more than ample opportunity to assess Duke, Coach K, the college basketball world in general, and still have not made up their mind.
    If they don't see the benefit of coming to Duke, so be it. We can move on with next year's team.

Just my .02
    I'm with you. If they want to come to Duke, I'll be happy, but it's not a big deal either way.

We can be bad fans together.

Just my .02
    I'm just fine with these kids taking their time to make a decision. I hadn't made my commitment to school by this time, either. So I don't see why we should be rushing them. It's a big decision, and they should take it seriously. Yes, a lot of kids decide earlier. That doesn't mean it has to be the case.

They've had ample opportunity to assess Coach K and Duke. They've also had ample opportunity to assess other great programs. It's not an easy decision.

Yes, we will be fine with or without them. But that doesn't mean we should be fed up with these kids just because they haven't made a decision yet. I'd love to know for sure who we'll have next year as soon as possible. But that is a selfish viewpoint, and I realize it. There will be half a year before next season begins regardless of whether these guys decide today or not. So whenever they decide we'll still be tapping our toes for the season to start.

Just my .02
    I'm not sure exactly how to measure the quality of a fan, but you wouldn't strike me as a bad one. I would like Parker or Jefferson to come to Duke, but it is more to have 2013-14 and subsequent years more solidified than what I expect they would contribute this year. Along the lines of what CB&B was saying on the Shabazz thread, I feel there are already 11 guys on this year's team that I want to see play and continue improving. Adding anyone else to this group might lower the chances that I will get to see one of our current players play as much.
    I will be happy either way, as I know that I am very much going to enjoy watching next year's team, much like I did this year. I find it hard not to be excited when Duke has a top 10 team. After a big recruiting class last year, there really wasn't a great need to add many players this year, though the staff has tried to get some very good pieces to add.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”