Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    No, we won't know for sure about Mason's decision until April 29. He can declare for the draft any time between now and April 29. He just can't "undeclare" after April 10. The only thing we would know is that, if he enters (which he hasn't yet), he can't come back after April 10.

It's very possible that the April 11 decision dates for the recruits will also get bumped back until all of the underclassmen declare or return, though that remains to be seen.
    Mason is "testing the waters" as far as I know. If he's coming back, we will know by the 10th.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Mason is "testing the waters" as far as I know. If he's coming back, we will know by the 10th.
    This has always been confusing to me. What exactly is the benefit of submitting your name before April 10th, rather than just unofficially exploring your options?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    This has always been confusing to me. What exactly is the benefit of submitting your name before April 10th, rather than just unofficially exploring your options?
    I am confused as well, but, I believe they have to put their names in the hat in order for the advisory committee to do the assessment. The guys that test the waters, receive their assessment on April 6th, and then have 4 days to stay in or pull out. That's my understanding anyway.

And FWIW there seems to be confusion around whether or not Mason actually did that. I will defer to Airowe and assume that Mason did in fact enter his name though.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    "Testing the waters" does not mean you have entered your name into the draft. He has not yet entered his name into the draft according to any media outlets. The April 10 deadline only applies to withdrawing your name after you've entered. Since Mason has not yet entered his name, the April 10 deadline is irrelevant. He has until April 29 to declare for the draft.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    "Testing the waters" does not mean you have entered your name into the draft. Mason has asked for an NBA assessment, which means he's testing the waters. But he has not yet entered his name into the draft. The April 10 deadline only applies to withdrawing your name after you've entered. Since Mason has not yet entered his name, the April 10 deadline is irrelevant. He has until April 29 to declare for the draft.
    Thanks CDu. So the advisory committee will provide assessments for anyone that makes the request, regardless of whether or not they declare? Interesting, and even more confusing.

I thought the committee would only assess those that entered. Just more evidence that this new system is flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Thanks CDu. So the advisory committee will provide assessments for anyone that makes the request, regardless of whether or not they declare? Interesting, and even more confusing.

I thought the committee would only assess those that entered. Just more evidence that this new system is flawed.
    Yeah, apparently that's the case (although you can only do it once). Wonder if they'd do it for me if I asked?

Quote Originally Posted by Draftexpress
    What’s important to note (and has been widely misreported in the media), is that requesting an evaluation from the advisory committee does not constitute entering the draft. In fact, the application form explicitly states that “this application is not a declaration of eligibility for the 2012 NBA draft.
    So basically, the only practical reason for Mason to make a decision by the 10th would be to be nice to Duke. Although it seems like that's what people are expecting to happen, so who knows.

I am confused as well, but, I believe they have to put their names in the hat in order for the advisory committee to do the assessment. The guys that test the waters, receive their assessment on April 6th, and then have 4 days to stay in or pull out. That's my understanding anyway.
    This appears to not be the case. The request for assessment does not constitute entry into the draft:
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...s-in-2012-3869

This is the basis for the confusion. In the olden days, players could "test the waters" and go work out for NBA teams. They had a few weeks to do this. But you had to enter the draft to test the waters. The NCAA decided to nix that. The compromise was to allow an assessment report. The report does not constitute draft entry, whereas before you had to declare for the draft in order to do the workouts (actually, that's still the case).

So basically, the only practical reason for Mason to make a decision by the 10th would be to be nice to Duke. Although it seems like that's what people are expecting to happen, so who knows.
    Yup. Confusing indeed. And yes - the practical reason to make a decision by April 10 is to be nice to your school. Otherwise, it makes the most sense to wait until April 29 and see who all has entered.

To make things even more confusing, there was an earlier tweet by Jay Williams that stated Mason was "testing the waters" without explaining exactly what he meant by that.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...ky_ucla_040712

This may have already been posted. I am not sure how I feel about this. It means that Calipari isn't so likely to repeat (if it is a weak class and he relies on one and done players), but we have a lot of holes to try to fill. Hopefully we get Shabazz and it fills any gaps we have had well enough to contend for a title. Also, hopefully it makes the guys we have seem even better by comparison.

Yup. Confusing indeed. And yes - the practical reason to make a decision by April 10 is to be nice to your school. Otherwise, it makes the most sense to wait until April 29 and see who all has entered.
    What I don't understand is under the current rules what possible reason would anybody have for entering their name into the draft unless they're planning to stay in it?

I mean, if you're sure, go ahead and enter whenever you feel like. If you're not sure, wait until the last possible moment. If they want people to "withdraw" before April 10, don't they have to give them a reason to enter before April 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    What I don't understand is under the current rules what possible reason would anybody have for entering their name into the draft unless they're planning to stay in it?

I mean, if you're sure, go ahead and enter whenever you feel like. If you're not sure, wait until the last possible moment. If they want people to "withdraw" before April 10, don't they have to give them a reason to enter before April 10?
    Yup. That is what I have been saying all along. The rules are such that it makes the most sense (if you are at all unsure) to wait as long as possible to officially decide.

I feel like this may have been answered already, but the reason to put your name in early is to undergo the NBA's evaluation process and get an assessment from them regarding your draft status. Here's a question though - can you submit your name, undergo the evaluation, withdraw before April 10, and then resubmit your name again before April 29th?

The current system is very confusing and has evolved from the conflicting needs of the NCAA and the NBA. The NBA doesn't care if players take as long as possible since their season isn't over until June. The NCAA wants coaches to know as early as possible so they can prepare for the next season and bring in last-minute recruits if necessary. In a fantasy world the two sides would collaborate on a system that makes sense. Also, cars would be powered by unicorns and world hunger would be cured by kitten kisses.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Also, cars would be powered by unicorns and world hunger would be cured by kitten kisses.
    I have not seen many unicorns lately, so I am guessing your "fantasy world" would feature a lot of bicycles... which would be fine with me.

-Jason "if the NBA ever gets around to dealing with it, the 'baseball system' of high school or 3 years of college is the best way to deal with early entry" EVans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I have not seen many unicorns lately, so I am guessing your "fantasy world" would feature a lot of bicycles... which would be fine with me.

-Jason "if the NBA ever gets around to dealing with it, the 'baseball system' of high school or 3 years of college is the best way to deal with early entry" EVans
    Either you don't get out very much or your kids have outgrown this:

unicorn%u00252Briding%2Bbike%2Bprint%2Blinedraw.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I feel like this may have been answered already, but the reason to put your name in early is to undergo the NBA's evaluation process and get an assessment from them regarding your draft status.
    Well, it was answered, but if I understood what people are saying, the answer is you can get the evaluation without putting your name in early:

Yeah, apparently that's the case (although you can only do it once).
    The request for assessment does not constitute entry into the draft:

This is the basis for the confusion. In the olden days, players could "test the waters" and go work out for NBA teams. They had a few weeks to do this. But you had to enter the draft to test the waters. The NCAA decided to nix that. The compromise was to allow an assessment report. The report does not constitute draft entry, whereas before you had to declare for the draft in order to do the workouts (actually, that's still the case).

Well, it was answered, but if I understood what people are saying, the answer is you can get the evaluation without putting your name in early:
    Gotcha; sorry for the brain fart. It'd be pretty cool to see what one of these assessments looks like. Do they list your strengths, weaknesses, and areas that need improvement? That'd be a pretty valuable thing to have even if you're not planning on declaring at all.

I feel like this may have been answered already, but the reason to put your name in early is to undergo the NBA's evaluation process and get an assessment from them regarding your draft status. Here's a question though - can you submit your name, undergo the evaluation, withdraw before April 10, and then resubmit your name again before April 29th?
    As Kedsy noted, you don't have to put your name in to get the assessment. The two are separate filings. As for your question, the answer is that nothing would prevent you from entering, withdrawing, and then re-entering. All you'd do is lose your NCAA eligibility, but if you're entering the draft you are already moving on from the NCAA regardless. That being said, since you don't have to put your name in to get the NBA assessment, there's no reason to declare at all until April 29. So the scenario you describe would just require more unnecessary work on your part to fill out paperwork 3 times.

Gotcha; sorry for the brain fart. It'd be pretty cool to see what one of these assessments looks like. Do they list your strengths, weaknesses, and areas that need improvement? That'd be a pretty valuable thing to have even if you're not planning on declaring at all.
    I believe that is included, yes. Here's a pretty good explanation of the process. They reiterate that it really makes little sense to declare early unless you are absolutely dead set on leaving:

There is absolutely no reason for a junior not to get the assessment. It's a free look into how the NBA folks view you relative to your peers. You can only do it once, though, so if you are a freshman or sophomore you have to consider the implications of getting that assessment with regard to future decisions if you decide to return to college.

If I were the Indianna Pacers I would be inclined to take him in the second round.