Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, just evidence that these guys don't always have complete information, despite being very close to the team. On an unrelated note, I'm really regretting that we didn't get the unbelievable difference-maker Deandre Daniels...

12.1 mpg, 3.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 34.1 fg%, 24.0 3pt%, 80.0 ft%, 0.68 A/TO

Yeah, if he had come to Duke and performed like that it would have been proof that the coaches don't know how to develop frontcourt talent.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I looked him up yesterday. Didn't have much of a season. If only he had come to Duke, or Carrick Felix or Roscoe Smith, or if Olek had not transferred. . .
    Of course, Daniel's stats were better than Gbinije's or Murphy's this year, Felix averaged 10.5 PPG and 4 RPG at ASU as an athletic, 6'6 defender, Olek averaged 13.6 and 6.3 RPG for Nevada, and Roscoe averaged 6.3 PPG, 5.2 RPG and 1.2 BPG as a long, athletic wing defender on UConn's championship team before falling off with the rest of the team this year. Then, of course, there's Terrance Ross, one of the best wing players in the country, who we passed on.

I'm not sure if any of these guys were billed as immediate stars, but I don't think it's laughable to suggest that they of them could have helped out team this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Of course, Daniel's stats were better than Gbinije's or Murphy's this year, Felix averaged 10.5 PPG and 4 RPG at ASU as an athletic, 6'6 defender, Olek averaged 13.6 and 6.3 RPG for Nevada, and Roscoe averaged 6.3 PPG, 5.2 RPG and 1.2 BPG as a long, athletic wing defender on UConn's championship team before falling off with the rest of the team this year. Then, of course, there's Terrance Ross, one of the best wing players in the country, who we passed on.

I'm not sure if any of these guys were billed as immediate stars, but I don't think it's laughable to suggest that they of them could have helped out team this year.
    Academics played a role in several of these players being passed on.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Daniels would have been at Duke had he made it through the admissions process. ...
    But uCon has so raised its academic standards that it deserves to have next year's post-season ban rescinded! [the gist of uCon's pending appeal] If there were academic issues, he couldn't have made it into such a bastion of higher education, could he?

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Daniels would have been at Duke had he made it through the admissions process. Kyrie knew that at the time apparently but was not able to foresee those issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Academics played a role in several of these players being passed on.
    This is such an important point, which we tend to forget when we are fantasizing about this player or that player and wondering why every player that crosses the coaches' radar doesn't end up at Duke. At a school like Duke especially, fit isn't just a question of what happens on the court. It also has to do with fit with the program as a whole, and with the academic requirements of the university. Official statements from the Duke program respect the athlete's privacy (as they should) when academic issues derail an otherwise seemingly promising recruitment, so we should try to remember that this is always a possibility when an athlete who has committed to Duke changes his mind, or when what seems like a strong mutual interest between athlete and coaching staff ends in one or the other backing off.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    This is such an important point, which we tend to forget when we are fantasizing about this player or that player and wondering why every player that crosses the coaches' radar doesn't end up at Duke. At a school like Duke especially, fit isn't just a question of what happens on the court. It also has to do with fit with the program as a whole, and with the academic requirements of the university. Official statements from the Duke program respect the athlete's privacy (as they should) when academic issues derail an otherwise seemingly promising recruitment, so we should try to remember that this is always a possibility when an athlete who has committed to Duke changes his mind, or when what seems like a strong mutual interest between athlete and coaching staff ends in one or the other backing off.
    Wait a minute. Are you saying that Duke can't just predict who will end up being the best players in the incoming classes, making sure that over the four classes they have backups at all positions and getting them to accept offers?

Duke was under out last president ranked #4 in the country in academics by USWorld & News, the magazine that reports rankings of all institutions. Under our current president's administration we are barely in the top ten, ranked # 10. Stanford is ranked far above Duke. I bring this up because of their success on the grid iron and now under Johnny, the hardwood seems to be following suit. Imagine what K could do with a few more of these recruits! I also think Cut has us headed in the right direction. Maybe we should loosen these requirements a little. These marginal academic athletes can succeed at Duke under our great teaching while bringing us millions (by success on the court) Everyone knows these revenues help in a major way to run the institution. We can help them succeed, so why deny them the opportunity if they want to come and learn under the best coaches on the Planet? We both win. The big word is if? Just my opinion. Go Devils!

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Duke was under out last president ranked #4 in the country in academics by USWorld & News, the magazine that reports rankings of all institutions. Under our current president's administration we are barely in the top ten, ranked # 10. Stanford is ranked far above Duke. I bring this up because of their success on the grid iron and now under Johnny, the hardwood seems to be following suit. Imagine what K could do with a few more of these recruits! I also think Cut has us headed in the right direction. Maybe we should loosen these requirements a little. These marginal academic athletes can succeed at Duke under our great teaching while bringing us millions (by success on the court) Everyone knows these revenues help in a major way to run the institution. We can help them succeed, so why deny them the opportunity if they want to come and learn under the best coaches on the Planet? We both win. The big word is if? Just my opinion. Go Devils!
    1. Those rankings are borderline meaningless. If a school is obsessed with the rankings--and parvenu Duke has at times been accused of exactly that in the past--there are ways to game its number to an extent. Such action don't really make it a better school.
    2. If memory serves, Duke was ranked as high as #4 for only one year under Nannerl. Far more often we were in the 6-8 range.
    3. Duke gets great players. DeAndre Daniels is not a compelling argument for compromising academic standards.

Any news of late on Amile Jefferson?

Quote Originally Posted by gwwilburn View Post
    Any news of late on Amile Jefferson?
    I think it is a reasonable assumption that he is waiting to see what Mason and Calvin Leslie decide to do.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Wait a minute. Are you saying that Duke can't just predict who will end up being the best players in the incoming classes, making sure that over the four classes they have backups at all positions and getting them to accept offers?
    Well, I meant to say that Duke can't just predict who will end up being the best players in the incoming classes, making sure that over the four classes they have backups at all positions and getting them to accept offers AND guarantee that all those players will meet Duke's academic requirements for admission of athletes--but I guess I would have been willing to say what you are asking if I said as well, shocking though it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Agree . I went to Duke and probably could not get in now. A lot of fans on this board want 4 year guys and don't want marginal students. Duke will not get into another Final 4 with these unrealistic demands. I bet Anthony Davis could handle Duke's freshman classes. With K and Collins both from Chicago why are we not more successful in that region.Scheyer and Dockery are about the only players from that region in the last 10 years. I hope Jabari Parker changes the trend.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Agree . I went to Duke and probably could not get in now. A lot of fans on this board want 4 year guys and don't want marginal students. Duke will not get into another Final 4 with these unrealistic demands. I bet Anthony Davis could handle Duke's freshman classes. With K and Collins both from Chicago why are we not more successful in that region.Scheyer and Dockery are about the only players from that region in the last 10 years. I hope Jabari Parker changes the trend.
    Have our "demands" become more unrealistic in the two years since we last made (and won) the Final Four?

And which Chicago recruits do you lament us having lost recruiting battles over recently?

A lot of fans on this board want 4 year guys and don't want marginal students. Duke will not get into another Final 4 with these unrealistic demands.
    What's more unrealistic, demands that Duke continue to recruit good students or your absurd statement above?

A lot of fans on this board want 4 year guys and don't want marginal students. Duke will not get into another Final 4 with these unrealistic demands.
    None of the other three Final Four teams have one and done players. Neither did UConn, Butler, or VCU last year. Or any of the Final Four teams in the year before that, and the year before that. As has been pointed at by tommy and Kedsy above, Duke won very recently with an upperclassmen heavy team - but so has UNC, Kansas, and Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    None of the other three Final Four teams have one and done players. Neither did UConn, Butler, or VCU last year. Or any of the Final Four teams in the year before that, and the year before that. As has been pointed at by tommy and Kedsy above, Duke won very recently with an upperclassmen heavy team - but so has UNC, Kansas, and Florida.
    To be fair, Sullinger was a one-and-done talent, he just decided to come back, and Blackshear may well have been had he not missed almost the entire season with a major injury (he's projected lottery next year). As for UNC, they've had a freshman who was projected in the lottery in their two recent championship runs.

I think the key is to recruit a core of "long term pros" (to borrow a term from BDN's Andrew Slater) - guys who aren't surefire one-and-dones, but have the potential to develop into decent pro prospects over 3-4 years. Guys like Thomas Hill, Tony Lang, Brian Davis, Dahntay Jones, Sheldon Williams, Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith, Gerald Henderson, Wayne Ellington, Danny Green, Tyler Hansbrough, Alex Murphy, Rasheed Sulaimon, Michael Gbinije, etc. Once you've got that core, throwing an NBA-ready talent into the mix every year or so can ensure that you've got the horses to compete year-to-year and occasionally push you into the realm of dominance (see 2009 UNC, 2003 Syracuse, 1999 Duke, what 2011 Duke should have been).

I think K's plan is a good compromise. Of course, it's imperative to get (and retain) enough guys that do turn out to be long-term pros, rather than long-term Euro players.

Tony Parker

http://memphisroar.com/2012/04/tony-...-one-of-three/
    Basically says that Parker cut his list down to Memphis, UCLA, and Duke.

Saw this post in the local Memphis Tigers blog. The author had to walk it back hours after it was posted. Take it for what it's worth.
    Last edited by diveonthefloor; 04-04-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Now for a blast from the past - Mitch McGary. Too bad for him that his supporting cast will be, well, a tad depleted. I was surprised to hear about Trey Burke's departure. Mitch will have every opportunity to be "the man" it appears.

K looking at two transfers tells me that he's not confident of getting TP, AJ, or SM. I do think Mason will be back because he is projected late first round which would be very risky on his part. It just seems to me that K is moving on by looking at these transfers. Just my opinion, hope like heck I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke 4 Life View Post
    K looking at two transfers tells me that he's not confident of getting TP, AJ, or SM. I do think Mason will be back because he is projected late first round which would be very risky on his part. It just seems to me that K is moving on by looking at these transfers. Just my opinion, hope like heck I'm wrong.
    Not confident of getting them, sure. Obviously these recruits have choices to make and, while each has kept Duke on his list, there's plenty of reasons to think each might choose another school.

Moving on, though, I'm not so sure about. Based on reports, Coach K has been keeping in touch with these recruits and is still encouraging them to choose Duke.

I'd say looking at the transfers is more about maximizing the opportunity to add players by broadening the pool than it is about giving up on getting the high school recruits--trying to set a backup plan in place.