Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    The 5/8 rule is a thing of the past.

ETA: Link.
    I was wondering why I had a hard time finding information on it. I am consistently living in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    5/8 rule has been gone for years. The 13-scholarship limit may limit the size of Duke's class, though.
    The 5/8 rule would play havoc with the Kentucky meme for basketball scholarship division, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    The 5/8 rule would play havoc with the Kentucky meme for basketball scholarship division, wouldn't it?
    St John's would have had a little trouble too.

Didn't BC have nine freshmen or something like that last year? If BC was a Division I team they'd have had serious trouble...

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    If BC was a Division I team they'd have had serious trouble...
    Hey-ooooo!

Austin's quote on the main page

This seems like a case where a misplaced period makes a big difference. The way it's quoted on the main page and in the referenced article, Austin says

...we have a good recruiting class that could be even better if Shabazz [Muhammad] were to come to Duke. And they have a transfer.

But the way I've seen it quoted previously it was

...we have a good recruiting class that could be even better if Shabazz [Muhammad] were to come to Duke and they have a transfer.

In the latter case, he's saying that they could be better if Bazz comes and if they get a transfer, NOT stating a fact that the transfer has already happened. Big difference. Anyone have a clearer picture as to what he actually said, or an audio of the quote?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    This seems like a case where a misplaced period makes a big difference.

In the latter case, he's saying that they could be better if Bazz comes and if they get a transfer, NOT stating a fact that the transfer has already happened. Big difference. Anyone have a clearer picture as to what he actually said, or an audio of the quote?
    That's an excellent point. Illustrates the danger of reading a transcription of a quote. Those are two VERY different statements.

Here's the audio of the interview: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/au...elated=3297567

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    That certainly sounds like he is suggesting we have a transfer. I'm guessing he means Zeigler. And I'm guessing it's a combination of a slip of the tongue and lack of complete information.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    That certainly sounds like he is suggesting we have a transfer. I'm guessing he means Zeigler. And I'm guessing it's a combination of a slip of the tongue and lack of complete information.
    Well, Kyrie did let the DeAndre Daniels cat out of the bag last year: http://www.ballinisahabit.net/2011/0...e-daniels.html

That would mean that not only is Zeigler coming but they already know that his appeal will be upheld and he'll be immediately available. Seems unlikely that that much information is out there, has not been announced, but was shared with Austin (though not impossible I guess).

Well, Kyrie did let the DeAndre Daniels cat out of the bag last year: http://www.ballinisahabit.net/2011/0...e-daniels.html
    Yeah, just evidence that these guys don't always have complete information, despite being very close to the team. On an unrelated note, I'm really regretting that we didn't get the unbelievable difference-maker Deandre Daniels...

12.1 mpg, 3.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 34.1 fg%, 24.0 3pt%, 80.0 ft%, 0.68 A/TO

Yeah, just evidence that these guys don't always have complete information, despite being very close to the team. On an unrelated note, I'm really regretting that we didn't get the unbelievable difference-maker Deandre Daniels...

To be fair, he did have Oriakhi as a roadblock... *snicker*

Yeah, just evidence that these guys don't always have complete information
    Just because DeAndre didn't end up at Duke doesn't mean that information wasn't correct at the time. I think it's more evidence that things can change rapidly in the recruiting process.

Just because DeAndre didn't end up at Duke doesn't mean that information wasn't correct at the time. I think it's more evidence that things can change rapidly in the recruiting process.
    Did Daniels ever commit to come to Duke? Because that's the implication Irving made. As such, I think that the information was probably incorrect at the time. I'm obviously not well informed, but based on that quote I'd say he was providing incorrect information. Maybe he was misquoted, so it is hard to say.

Did Daniels ever commit to come to Duke? Because that's the implication Irving made. As such, I think that the information was probably incorrect at the time. I'm obviously not well informed, but based on that quote I'd say he was providing incorrect information. Maybe he was misquoted, so it is hard to say.
    It's also possible that Daniels told Irving one thing and then went and did another. Or maybe UConn made an offer he couldn't refuse... free laptops maybe?

DeAndre Daniels

I looked him up yesterday. Didn't have much of a season. If only he had come to Duke, or Carrick Felix or Roscoe Smith, or if Olek had not transferred. . .

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I looked him up yesterday. Didn't have much of a season. If only he had come to Duke, or Carrick Felix or Roscoe Smith, or if Olek had not transferred. . .
    Don't forget about Tyler Adams, the must-have space-eater down low that de-committed from Duke. He played four nondescript games at Georgetown (6 minutes per game avg.) before being sidelined for the rest of the year with concerns about his heart. Who knows what his future holds.

Daniels would have been at Duke had he made it through the admissions process. Kyrie knew that at the time apparently but was not able to foresee those issues.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Don't forget about Tyler Adams, the must-have space-eater down low that de-committed from Duke. He played four nondescript games at Georgetown (6 minutes per game avg.) before being sidelined for the rest of the year with concerns about his heart. Who knows what his future holds.
    Yeah, it's always dangerous to get too caught up with what you see in a high school prospect. Generally speaking, if they aren't a top 10-15 recruit, they aren't likely to start at Duke as a freshman and it's unlikely that they'll contribute very much right away. And just because they wait until the end of the recruiting period to sign doesn't mean they'll be an impact player. Probably things to keep in mind with regard to Jefferson and (perhaps) Parker. Muhammad (if he comes to Duke) and Sulaimon are more likely to contribute for us right away (and Muhammad more likely than Sulaimon).