Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
What is your definition of "contribute" for a PF or C? To me, a Big that can provide some defensive rebounding, altering a few shots, and giving some rest to MP2/3 sure could come in handy next year. I don't think you have to be a top 25 recruit to be able to provide that level of contribution as a freshman. Say 8-10 minutes/ 4-6 boards/ and a put-back or two seems reasonable to me.

I wonder how many of FSU's bigs were top 100 recruits? Not trying to be "snarky", just thinking out loud.
Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
I dont think Duke goes after another big. A freshman big man not ranked in the top 100 likely would not see the court at all. Marshall was top 100 and he redshirted this year. I think to the extent we changed things up late in the recruiting process this year, it was to go after Amile who is a top 25 guy. If we cannot get Amile or Tony Parker, I'd rather wait for the 2013 kids and not give a scholarship to a kid who is unlikely to play.
I agree with superdave. Kelly was a top 20 recruit and averaged 1.2 ppg and 1.1 rpg in 6.5 min (which excludes the 5 games he played zero minutes) as a freshman. Big men typically take a bit longer to get up to college speed than guards since in high school their size completely hides other deficiencies in their games. Definitely save the scholarship for the next year; the players we currently have would be sufficient for the 4/5 spots and somebody outside the top 100 would be very unlikely to crack the rotation at all. 4-6 rebounds in 8-10 minutes is asking way too much. Kelly averages 5.4 rebounds THIS YEAR in 26 mpg (3.7 last year).