Kyrie: Coach K to lead U.S. team through 2016

As reported by the Akron Beacon Journal: “I found out Coach K would be coaching in 2016. It made my decision so much easier to play for my coach again."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    As reported by the Akron Beacon Journal: “I found out Coach K would be coaching in 2016. It made my decision so much easier to play for my coach again."
    Wow.

Thought he had said he was done after 2012.
    1200. DDMF.

I really gotta shout out to Kyrie, here. People can run their mouths about how a guy who only played, what, ten or eleven games for Duke isn't "part of the family" or whatever, but this guy really seems to buy in and care in a way that, say, Corey Maggette and maybe even Luol Deng didn't. Maybe that's hard on Deng. I don't really want to create categories of loyalty, but to refer to a dude as "my coach," that's pretty "special" in Krzyzewskiese. And 2016...dude, K is gonna be 69 at that time. This shows me that he has really embraced the role of Olympic Coach, instead of taking it or using it as a one-off gig, which is the way it used to be..not to diss any of the previous coaches. And if he's planning on coaching the national team in Brazil...he doesn't plan on being retired by then? So he's still with us, if he's healthy?

Last year does still feel like a bit of a missed opportunity, but I have a lot of admiration for KI.

Nothing's certain, but that story is all good as far as it goes.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Not to sound pessimistic, but I think it's odd that K's return is being announced by Kyrie and not K..especially when we haven't even played 2012 yet. K didn't decide on returning for 2012 until after Beijing was over; I find it a little hard to believe he wouldn't follow the same path this time. I hope he does return though..for the threepeat!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Not to sound pessimistic, but I think it's odd that K's return is being announced by Kyrie and not K..especially when we haven't even played 2012 yet. K didn't decide on returning for 2012 until after Beijing was over; I find it a little hard to believe he wouldn't follow the same path this time. I hope he does return though..for the threepeat!
    Kyrie jumped the gun on K's announcement, I'd say.

Nevertheless, I see this news as a:
    Win for USA Basketball
    Win for Kyrie
    Win for Coach K
    Win for Duke basketball (I think it's a net plus)
    Loss for the "Roos

It also says a lot about Kyrie's confidence that he believes he can be one of the 2-3 PGs on that team.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    It also says a lot about Kyrie's confidence that he believes he can be one of the 2-3 PGs on that team.
    Especially with the plethora of talented, fairly young point guards in the NBA right now. By 2016, it could easily be the case that Kyrie would be one of the top 12 players in the entire league, but only the 5th or 6th best point guard. But I suspect that in the end he'll be just fine.

The awesomeness in this is that Coach seems to feel as young as ever. No plans of slowing down.

If this is true, he'll pretty clearly be at Duke for at least that long, too. Not that any of us thought otherwise, but hey, more data points.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    If this is true, he'll pretty clearly be at Duke for at least that long, too. Not that any of us thought otherwise, but hey, more data points.
    I have always wondered how Team USA would handle the coaching succession. I have to assume that they'll shake up the staff to get some other guys involved as assistants with an eye toward building the coaching pipeline and identifying the next head coach. Maybe K delegates even more as he continues his apprenticeship for the job he's being groomed for, Colangelo's gig as Director of USA Basketball (no proof, just conjecture).

There are a lot of college coaches who already do a lot of Team USA coaching - I can think of Jay Wright and Lorenzo Romar off the top of my head. But, there are fewer, if any, pro coaches. I think Popovich would be a natural but maybe the 2004 experience rubbed him the wrong way. Maybe the Arison/Duke connections would put a young turk like Spoelstra in the consideration pool - he did visit Duke last year. Maybe I shouldn'r rule out McMillan and D'Antoni, but the pro season is so long that I can't see those guys continuing to give up their summers.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Olson, Paterno, El Deano, Wooden - all the greats coach until they can no more...

In 2004, a 93-year old Wooden stated that he wouldn't mind coming back as an assistant who could help players with practices and other light duties... (for UCLA)

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    ... all the greats coach until they can no more ...
    "I'm just tired and I've got this bad cold and I'm just going to retire." - Lefty Driesell

Duke is releasing a statement soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    "I'm just tired and I've got this bad cold and I'm just going to retire." - Lefty Driesell
    SupaDave rests his case.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    Especially with the plethora of talented, fairly young point guards in the NBA right now. By 2016, it could easily be the case that Kyrie would be one of the top 12 players in the entire league, but only the 5th or 6th best point guard.
    Good thing K coaches players and not positions. Maybe Kyrie factored this philosophy into his decision.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketba...ondon-olympics

"While Kyrie and I have discussed his potential role with USA Basketball in the future, my focus right now is on the remainder of our Duke team's season and the 2012 Olympics," Krzyzewski said in a statement provided by USA Basketball. "Jerry Colangelo and I have not discussed anything beyond what is ahead of the USA National Team this summer as we pursue a gold medal in London."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It's not shocking, but Kyrie was wrong. He'll be playing for someone hopefully, but it won't be K.
    http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketba...-olympic-games
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."