Thread: NIT discussion

NIT discussion

Yes, I am serious.

If anyone wants to talk about the NIT, this is the place to do it.

Here is a look at the draw.

Potential discussion points--

• Only ACC team is Miami, the #2 seed in one of the brackets. They open on Wednesday hosting Valpo.
    • Johnny's Stanford club got a #3 seed and will host Cleveland State in the first round on Tuesday.
    • UCLA did not get a bid. Wow, that program has really fallen on hard times.
    • Not sure if I should be surprised that Clemson did not get a bid. Generally, an ACC team that finishes with a winning record ends up in the NIT, but I get a sense that the NIT has become a tad more selective in recent years and wants to make sure it includes mid-majors who missed on the big dance a bit more than in the past. I know they have a rule about taking any regular season conference champ that does not get an NCAA invite.

-Jason "I got nothing else... anyone? Bueller?" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 03-12-2012 at 12:32 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm surprised Butler didn't make it. They're in the CBI. Would've thought the NIT committee would've wanted the cache of having Butler in.

I'll root for Miami but usually it seems the teams that get snubbed for the NCAAT lose focus and drop early in the NIT.

At least the silver lining of winning the NIT is that you're one of the very, very few teams who ends their season with a win.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    At least the silver lining of winning the NIT is that you're one of the very, very few teams who ends their season with a win.
    If you finish 3rd you can hang a banner.

Looking at the brackets, I think they should consider re-naming it the Pac 12 invitational.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Looking at the brackets, I think they should consider re-naming it the Pac 12 invitational.
    , ooooo, I'm going to send that one along to my packy 12 pals.......

I only follow the NIT when the Heels are in it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I only follow the NIT when the Heels are in it.
    I only follow the Heels when they're in the Nit.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I'm surprised Butler didn't make it. They're in the CBI. Would've thought the NIT committee would've wanted the cache of having Butler in.

I'll root for Miami but usually it seems the teams that get snubbed for the NCAAT lose focus and drop early in the NIT.
    Apparently the NIT was a relatively tough bid this year because regular season league champions who lose their conference tournaments get automatic bids--and there were a lot of those this year. Paul Hewitt's George Mason team failed to get in with a 24-9 record and wins over NCAA teams VCU and Lamar (but some bad losses as well).
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...ry.html?sub=AR

Heartbreak for the Wear Twins

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

• UCLA did not get a bid. Wow, that program has really fallen on hard times..

-Jason "I got nothing else... anyone? Bueller?" Evans
    They had a chance to be the first twin brothers to play in the NIT for two different storied programs but UCLA did not make it. Maybe next year.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    I only follow the Heels when they're in the Nit.
    Touche!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Beat me to it. What a horrible debut year for the PAC 12...

And Arizona... Has anything been said about the Duke curse yet this year? Because I doubt many were picking them to miss the NCAAs...

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post

And Arizona... Has anything been said about the Duke curse yet this year? Because I doubt many were picking them to miss the NCAAs...
    ooh, good point.

And #1 seed Arizona goes down to Bucknell, the #8 seed, in the first round of the NIT, at home, by 11, with Bucknell leading almost the whole game.

<Yoda> "The Duke curse... Strong it is... Learn it you will..." </Yoda>

And #1 seed Arizona goes down to Bucknell, the #8 seed, in the first round of the NIT, at home, by 11, with Bucknell leading almost the whole game.

<Yoda> "The Duke curse... Strong it is... Learn it you will..." </Yoda>
    Pac 12 rah rah rah!

seriously...between that, and the beatdown USF is handing cal...we'll see if colorado fares any better..

hopefully the other patriot league team doesn't have the same result on friday
    1200. DDMF.