Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Duke 91 92 Documentary

I hope you got to watch this. It was awesome. I was a post doc then and this brought back so many memories. And things I did not know. Perfect ending to the weekend. Go Duke. Represent!
    ~rthomas

In case anyone missed it, Tru TV will be showing it again 5:30 on Friday. (presumably between tourney games)

The good ol days of college basketball (I like present day college basketball, but it was much better then). Great documentary. Hope this year's team watched and learned something from it. Never too late in the season to learn

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

Have to Love the General

"Michigan (fab five) was the most overrated team in college basketball. Never has a team with so much produced so little."

Classic Coach Knight.

"Average"

Loved the end... the basic gist:

Reporter after the '92 Championship game ... "What do you think of Hurley"

Fab Five member... "Average I guess".

Hurley... "I guess I'm just an average guy with two National Championships. I really don't care what they say about me".

This was phenomenal. Wish they could have dedicated two hours to it.

My love for Duke basketball started with that little scrawny white boy who was the toughest kid I've ever seen play the game.
    There will never be another Bobby Hurley. EVER.

Knight's comments were priceless and what I would totally expect from him.

It was great seeing some of the other guys on the team like Marty Clark and Eric Meek join in on the fun. A few times, I thought Bobby was going to tear up while watching the highlights of their magical run.

It's because of those teams that I am who I am today. Simply put, Duke Basketball is Life!

Holy mother of Zechariah, how gray has Hurley's hair gotten?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Great show; really well done.

Brought back tons of memories. What a special achievement and what a special time.

do they plan to release a DVD?

Would love to see this but don't get TruTV.

Was there in Philly with my then 7th grade daughter. She had a big crush on Christian. All credit to him. She was not interested in sports before his tenure at Duke. It was a special pleasure the next AM when we saw our old friends Lennie & Gail Elmore at the train station. It's still difficult for Mr. Elmore to discuss that day with me.

The import of those days/that team has followed us. When they razed the Spectrum, the "Dad" of the aforementioned child bought the part of the floor from which "The Shot" was launched.

When she married, Daddy and daughter danced their dance on the (surprise for her) floor.

Are we fans or what? ;-) Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    This was phenomenal. Wish they could have dedicated two hours to it.

My love for Duke basketball started with that little scrawny white boy who was the toughest kid I've ever seen play the game.
    There will never be another Bobby Hurley. EVER.

Knight's comments were priceless and what I would totally expect from him.

It was great seeing some of the other guys on the team like Marty Clark and Eric Meek join in on the fun. A few times, I thought Bobby was going to tear up while watching the highlights of their magical run.

It's because of those teams that I am who I am today. Simply put, Duke Basketball is Life!
    i am with you 100%......hurley is my favorite college player EVER !!!!!!....he didn't come to win, he came to die to win if necessary....his will to win was incredible.......when his team needed him to step it up even higher and make a big play, he never failed.......today's kids spend life talking to a box with their fingers...they have no concept of a Bobby Hurley.......this world has chaged significantly in these few years, and not for the better either....

so well explained

Quote Originally Posted by stixof96 View Post
    i am with you 100%......hurley is my favorite college player EVER !!!!!!....he didn't come to win, he came to die to win if necessary....his will to win was incredible.......when his team needed him to step it up even higher and make a big play, he never failed.......today's kids spend life talking to a box with their fingers...they have no concept of a Bobby Hurley.......this world has chaged significantly in these few years, and not for the better either....

Great post! You've explained what I've missed most when watching college BB these past few years. Bobby Hurley was just visceral with his will to win. He never took a moment off. I'm not sure that I've seen that same constancy/tenacity from any college player this year.

I often watch games (not talking about Duke) and think that these guys act like they're constantly thinking "will I end up on "Sportscenter", i.e., they never go full out and risk being humiliated.

Seems like so much playing these days is about positioning/posturing rather than winning.

Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    Great post! You've explained what I've missed most when watching college BB these past few years. Bobby Hurley was just visceral with his will to win. He never took a moment off. I'm not sure that I've seen that same constancy/tenacity from any college player this year.

I often watch games (not talking about Duke) and think that these guys act like they're constantly thinking "will I end up on "Sportscenter", i.e., they never go full out and risk being humiliated.

Seems like so much playing these days is about positioning/posturing rather than winning.
    we are now living in a world totally focused on self promotion...trust me....i am the C.E.O. of a think tank that is developing a system to completely eliminate bullying in our schools and on the internet.....nationwide......i have been at this job for 3 years now....what i have seen and learned about our society, and the lessons that our kids are being taught in this society, is absolutely sickening and frightening.......respect for anything is an ancient part of our society now....it is all about hate and self promotion.......truth, honesty and committment means nothing anymore....and it clearly shows in our sports world....social darwinism and worse is what it has turned into.......today's kids have no idea what the heart of someone like Hurley even is.....they don't know what a 110% effort, every second is........every single second....they don't know anything about REAL hard work and dedication to something bigger than themselves.......Hurley could care less if his picture was on anything.......he wasn't out there to impress anyone or get any props......he was out there for his TEAM to kick your ast.......nothing else.......and he cared less what he would have to sacrifice to get that win.......that is what he was there for, to overcome any obstacle to win........all he cared about was that Duke had another w in the bank.......and he never made any kind of excuse for anything....he held himself totally accountable and you could clearly see that in his play.......God knows Duke could use a triple dose of Hurley these days....and so could all the rest......

another thing about Hurley......his do or die committment was highly contagious and extremely addicting......no only was he a force on his own, he made every other player on his team MUCH BETTER...he even made opposing players much better when they played Duke.......if you were going to be on the court with Hurley, you better have a 100% quality effort or you were going to look like a high school J.V. player out there, compared to him, in front of the whole world.......every Duke player around him was injected with his " poison "....a very good poison.......Hurley never had an overall bad night...if he was off in one area, he willed himself to be great in another area to turn in a complete quality game each and every time he took the floor......he demanded nothing less of himself.......that was obvious.....today's kids totally lack that.....it's all about the glitter now......

Long Version

Expected to release a long version with additional interviews and footage available on iTunes some time this week.

To stix:

While I share some of the frustrations about "kids these days" (and I have to chuckle at myself for that very old-guy sentiment), I think you're being a little harsh, and certainly over-generalizing. While I am absolutely sure working on a system to stop bullying exposes you to some of the worst today's kids have to offer, it may be skewing your view a little negative. To put it in context, as a cardiologist I get to see all the marvels of a lazy, obese 30something America (the lazier, more obese 20somethings haven't hit the point of seeing a cardiologist yet, for the most part). It's enough to make me sometimes feel like that's all the folks a half-generation behind me have to offer. And, while the obesity epidimic is real and getting worse, it's also inaccurate for me to think that EVERYONE in their 20s and 30s is an obese couch potato...that's just the skewed sample I see.

Your views on current basketball kids don't apply to every kid on this team. Guys like Thornton and Hairston, for example, are hard-working lunchpail kids. Coach K is an old-school guy, but he seems to really like the effort the team, as a whole, is giving. Guys like Hurley and Laettner and Battier, with their non-stop motor and desire, are actually a rarity in ANY generation.

And, for a great example of a recent team: The 2010 team, just 2 years ago (and college kids can't have changed that much in 2 years), was a team absolutely full of guys who worked their butts off every game, had an amazing sense of team, an amazing desire to win, and not one showboat among them.

While you've shown a real distaste for the one-and-done kids (and I think I now have a better understanding and appreciation of why) and other aspects of the current state of the game and the kids who play it, I'd suggest that there are, in today's college basketball, plenty of examples of kids who reflect the old-school values that Hurley most certainly showed on court.

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog5 View Post
    Expected to release a long version with additional interviews and footage available on iTunes some time this week.
    Thanks so much for this news! Can't wait to see it.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Really enjoyed the show, but was surprised at the absence in the interviews of some notable players from the era.

Watched it.
    Watched it again.
    I remember these games because it was before I became a Duke
    fan and was just another chick in the boardroom filling out my
    brackets. I won two years in a row causing the "dudes" to shake
    their heads in wonder at my intelligent picks. You're right guys:
    The players had a different hunger and attitude in "those days".
    So did the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by AsiaMinor View Post
    Watched it.
    Watched it again.
    I remember these games because it was before I became a Duke
    fan and was just another chick in the boardroom filling out my
    brackets. I won two years in a row causing the "dudes" to shake
    their heads in wonder at my intelligent picks. You're right guys:
    So did the fans.
    You are so right...and the proof is right here on these boards.....just read the comments....75% of the people commenting on here are scared to death....look at how many times you see the word HOPE on this board...." i hope this happens and i hope that doesn't happen ".....back in those days, the only place fear existed was on the other bench....in fact, i used to say that Duke players back then should have come out on the floor with tee shirts that said..." NOTHING your mother has taught you will help you now"......LOL !!!.....For opposing teams, playing Duke meant only one thing....40 minutes of Hell.....regardless of who you were...everybody knew that Duke walked into the building to do one thing.... to slaughter you....and they were probably going to do it...Duke knew how to go in for the kill like nobody else...it was beyond brutal....if you think Duke wasn't intimidating back then, you are badly mistaken....just ask the Fab 5...or UNLV....or the guy that Lattener stomped...I LOVED IT !!!...a little bad intentions doesn't hurt a thing....it's time to get back to that.....and it can be done.....

Quote Originally Posted by AsiaMinor View Post
    I would like to see any DBR poster at one of Duke's year-round 6 a.m. practices, or at the team's pre-season two-a-days, or in video sessions, or in one-on-one's with Coach K. Show up at just one of their never-ending practices and tell them how they just don't have the "hunger" that the guys had back in "those days." Tell them that they just don't work hard enough. After all, we seem to know better than they do.

This year's struggles (if you can even call them "struggles") have nothing to do with hunger, but with personnel. We don't have a Christian Laettner, a Bobby Hurley, or a Grant Hill on this year's roster. Let alone just one player of that caliber (though you might be able to make a case fior Austin). We have a lop-sided roster of talented but ill-fitting pieces, who have no choice but to contend with each other's flaws. And yet, our boys have still done a damn fine job, easily exceeding any reasonable expectation. We are a 2-seed and a top-ten team with one of the best records in the country (and against one of the toughest schedules in all of the NCAA), and somehow people still feel entitled to question our players' hunger.

Yikes. Happy you guys aren't my boss.