Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. Lehigh, NCAA Round of 64 Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Discuss our Round of 64 matchup with the Lehigh Engineers Mountain Hawks here.

CJ Mccollum is a heck of a player....he could give us a run for our money if we aren't ready for it/looking ahead to the next round
    1200. DDMF.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    CJ Mccollum is a heck of a player....he could give us a run for our money if we aren't ready for it/looking ahead to the next round
    What about inside play? Do they have any big guys? First order of business for Duke is to get healthy, and out of the offensive funk. Getting Ryan back will help tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    What about inside play? Do they have any big guys? First order of business for Duke is to get healthy, and out of the offensive funk. Getting Ryan back will help tremendously.
    Not sure. I just hear about CJ all the time from an LU alum i know...but i'd bet not much
    1200. DDMF.

Not sure, but do not think they are a big rebounding team.

Maybe this was the more appropriate place to ask this (but I'm not sure how to delete my post in the other thread). Anyone have any idea when we'll find out the game time? Thanks, and Go Duke!

It appears Duke and Lehigh have two common opponents: St. John's University and Michigan State. Duke beat both while Lehigh lost to both:

Duke 83, St. John's 76
    St. John's 78, Lehigh 73

Duke 74, Michigan State 69
    Michigan State 90, Lehigh 81
    Bob Green

I expect a good game. Everyone gives Duke their best shot, right? I just hope Duke can do the same. If Duke doesn't play well, we could see a similar game to the one against Belmont in 2008

Agreed that nothing should be taken for granted with this team, and definitely not this time of year. Lehigh may have lost to our two common opponents, but, at least by the final score, they didn't get blown out by either. Our guys need to focus on their defense, owning the glass, and good, patient offense. If we do that we should move on.

Quote Originally Posted by coldriver10 View Post
    Maybe this was the more appropriate place to ask this (but I'm not sure how to delete my post in the other thread). Anyone have any idea when we'll find out the game time? Thanks, and Go Duke!
    They may reveal the times later tonight or first thing tomorrow morning. Last year, Duke played their first game in the afternoon session and unc played the evening session.

Looks like their starting line-up is 6'0, 6'3 (McCollum), 6'6, 6'8, and 6'9.

Mason and Miles need to take it to 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    It appears Duke and Lehigh have two common opponents: St. John's University and Michigan State. Duke beat both while Lehigh lost to both:

Duke 83, St. John's 76
    St. John's 78, Lehigh 73

Duke 74, Michigan State 69
    Michigan State 90, Lehigh 81
    Interesting also that Lehigh played both games at SJU and MSU, while Duke played at Cameron and MSG, respectively. Lehigh is by far the best #15 seed, ranked in the low-80's by most of the algorithms. That's better than a lot of teams we've been in close games with.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Interesting also that Lehigh played both games at SJU and MSU, while Duke played at Cameron and MSG, respectively. Lehigh is by far the best #15 seed, ranked in the low-80's by most of the algorithms. That's better than a lot of teams we've been in close games with.
    Yeah. Lehigh was up 3 at half vs. Michigan State in East Lansing on 12/22. They ended up scoring 81 on the 3rd most efficient defense in the country.

I mean, we had a tough time with Wake Forest. I fully expect this to be a close game.

According to Pomeroy, Lehigh is basically the equivalent of Virginia Tech. So keep that in mind - VaTech was a team that gave us some issues, but never truly seemed to be better than us.

Without RK, there might be some annoyances. With RK, we should be fine.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    According to Pomeroy, Lehigh is basically the equivalent of Virginia Tech. So keep that in mind - VaTech was a team that gave us some issues, but never truly seemed to be better than us.

Without RK, there might be some annoyances. With RK, we should be fine.
    This is the only game that matters right now.. ok , I grant a little look ahead to X vs ND but beyond that really is pointless as (hopefuly !) a lot of upsets will occur and no tellin' who will be out there - IF we are even still in the thing. Go underdogs ! (escept when we play)

They have bodies, but that's about it. They mostly shoot 3s. They average over 20 attempts per game and make just over 7 of them (35.7%). 10 different guys are at 29.8% or better from 3, with 8 guys shooting 33.8% or better.

Their leading rebounder is a guard (McCollum). They run a ton of bodies out there, but not many of them are very good.

KU played Lehigh in the 1-16 game in 2010, when McCollum was a freshman. They gave us all we could handle for the 1st half and the first 7-8 minutes of the 2nd. McCollum ended up with 26 against a really good defensive KU team (#1 or #2 in Kenpom).

I see they have a number of 6'6 type guys but not much real size. I hope we emphasize the bigs in this game, contain their stud guard and not let them spread us out with all those mid-sized players.

Lehigh's strength is our strength defensively: the 3 point shot. They shoot a bunch of them, and they shoot it reasonably well. They don't have much of an inside game. Even their bigs (who aren't that big) are perimeter shooters.

We have to work hard to contain McCollum while not allowing wide open looks for their shooters, and defensive rebounding is a must. And on the other end, we need to dominate the glass whenever we miss.

We're much better than them, but they shoot the 3 and they have a star player and that makes them dangerous.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Lehigh's strength is our strength defensively: the 3 point shot. They shoot a bunch of them, and they shoot it reasonably well. They don't have much of an inside game. Even their bigs (who aren't that big) are perimeter shooters.

We have to work hard to contain McCollum while not allowing wide open looks for their shooters, and defensive rebounding is a must. And on the other end, we need to dominate the glass whenever we miss.

We're much better than them, but they shoot the 3 and they have a star player and that makes them dangerous.
    Seeing their results against Mich St and St Johns makes me nervous. Neither team blew them out. Good news is, this weekend notwithstanding, this Duke team plays better on the road. I kind of half hoped that Duke would choose to wear Blue every game in the ACC Tourney, just to keep the road game mindset.

If we play defense the way we did in Atlanta, and make shots, we should be ok. Regarding Kelly, Vitale stated on ESPN's Bracketology show, that the Duke staff indicated Ryan will be ready to go on Friday. That is great news if accurate.