0 0%
  • Belmont

1 1.89%
  • 15/16 seeds

0 0%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Midwest/St. Louis region discussion (uncch #1)

Discuss the Midwest region here. The baby blueys are the 1 seed.

So we're pointed at uk and Roy at ku.

And the NCAA never rigs things. Right.

-jk

So glad NC State got in. Great for the Pack.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

State's reaction to hearing their name called for the final NCAA tournament slot: http://www.gopack.com/sports/m-baskb...031112aae.html

Kinda neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    State's reaction to hearing their name called for the final NCAA tournament slot: http://www.gopack.com/sports/m-baskb...031112aae.html

Kinda neat.
    That's what it's all about. Thanks for posting. What a great moment for them.

After looking at team stats, rosters, and matchups for the last few hours, it appears to me(on paper anyway) that Creighton could give UNC some problems. Is anyone more familiar with the Bluejays who can talk me off the ledge of picking the upset here in my bracket? I'm wondering if UNC could look past them, get caught off guard by a hot-shooting team, and lack the necessary in-game coaching to pull them out of it. Anyone seen them play much and see exploitable weaknesses?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Little View Post
    After looking at team stats, rosters, and matchups for the last few hours, it appears to me(on paper anyway) that Creighton could give UNC some problems. Is anyone more familiar with the Bluejays who can talk me off the ledge of picking the upset here in my bracket? I'm wondering if UNC could look past them, get caught off guard by a hot-shooting team, and lack the necessary in-game coaching to pull them out of it. Anyone seen them play much and see exploitable weaknesses?
    Creighton's best player (McDermott) is Harrison Barnes' high school teammate. He's on the short list for national PoY awards (he won't win, but he's on the list). That alone should keep UNC from looking past them. After that, they have a former Duke recruit (Echenique (sp?)) who plays in the post and a very quick PG (Young). After that, it's your typical midwestern mid-major: a slew of shooters (7 guys shoot 36% or better from 3pt range, 5 of them top 40%) but not much size. They'll spread the floor and McDermott will cause headaches for whomever guards him at PF (Henson or Zeller). But they are really limited in terms of post depth. If either McDermott or Echenique gets in foul trouble, they're toast unless they have an otherworldly shooting night as a team. Defensively, they're terrible, and that's not a good situation to be in when playing UNC.

They certainly have the recipe for being an upset pick: they shoot the three as well as just about anyone in the country and they have a superstar. I wouldn't pick that upset, but it wouldn't be completely shocking if they gave UNC a tough test. I just don't think they have the depth inside or the defensive chops to handle UNC. I think UNC's size and scoring prowess will be too much. But in the college game, if you can shoot the 3 well, you have a chance against anyone. And Creighton is even better than us at shooting the 3.

I think the committee did NC State a HUGE favor by putting us in the same bracket as Carolina. While it makes it harder to advance to the Final Four (especially if Henson is playing), I think it makes it far more likely for State to play focused and intense basketball and give it their best effort to secure a rematch with the Holes. Not that they wouldn't, but regardless of what Swofford or recent history says, Carolina is our rival and that's always worth a little bit extra.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I think the committee did NC State a HUGE favor by putting us in the same bracket as Carolina. While it makes it harder to advance to the Final Four (especially if Henson is playing), I think it makes it far more likely for State to play focused and intense basketball and give it their best effort to secure a rematch with the Holes. Not that they wouldn't, but regardless of what Swofford or recent history says, Carolina is our rival and that's always worth a little bit extra.
    I wouldn't mind a repeat of 2005, where N.C. State knocked off two seed Connecticut, clearing the path for UNC. Of course, for State to beat Kansas this year (should Carolina also make it that far), the Tobacco Road rematch would be for the Final Four...

Kinda neat.
    Yeah. Great to see, especially after Saturday.

I am pretty sure they were the last team revealed on the broadcast as well. I assume the teams are watching the same thing we are? That had to be suspenseful...

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Dingleberry View Post
    Yeah. Great to see, especially after Saturday.
    I love (and am a little surprised) that ESPN keep showing Kendall's obvious charge at the end of the game each time they talk about kerlina.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I love (and am a little surprised) that ESPN keep showing Kendall's obvious charge at the end of the game each time they talk about kerlina.
    Don't forget that Gottfried worked with ESPN for two years. This time last year he was in the booth talking about the selections. It helps to have friends in the media. Just like the refs look after their own, so does the media.

Not to mention it's been 15 years since Raleigh stole away their Hartford Whalers, maybe that wound has finally healed?

It wasnt an obvious charge, certainly not at full speed. Once again, State pissed and moaned about fouls, Carolina did what they had to to win that game. Rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetHurleyFan View Post
    It wasnt an obvious charge, certainly not at full speed. Once again, State pissed and moaned about fouls, Carolina did what they had to to win that game. Rest is history.
    It was as much a charge as the ones called on Howell and Leslie for their 4th fouls, and moreso than the one called on Brown when Hairston flopped at the top of the key. If you're going to call those charges, you have to call the same on Marshall. I'm fine with the no call on Marshall if you give a no call on the other three.

State certainly did themselves no favors in the final minute, and UNC certainly made some winning plays down the stretch. But you have to at least acknowledge the inconsistency there, and the inconsistency favored UNC fairly heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It was as much a charge as the ones called on Howell and Leslie for their 4th fouls, and moreso than the one called on Brown when Hairston flopped at the top of the key. If you're going to call those charges, you have to call the same on Marshall. I'm fine with the no call on Marshall if you give a no call on the other three.

State certainly did themselves no favors in the final minute, and UNC certainly made some winning plays down the stretch. But you have to at least acknowledge the inconsistency there, and the inconsistency favored UNC fairly heavily.
    BINGO!! I don't think this call alone costs the Pack the game, they did enough dumb things on their own, but at least call it consistant throughout the whole game. Never understood why the time left on the clock has anything to do with what is called, but it sure does seem to make the refs swallow the whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetHurleyFan View Post
    I appreciate that you're over here defending your team and that it's hard not to be biased, but if you can introduce even an inkling of objectivity into your assessment, you have to see that it was a terrible no-call given what had transpired (as CDu points out).

And now I'll ask a really interesting question... had the heels lost like they should have in that game, would they still be a #1 seed? Moot point, I know, but...

I appreciate that you're over here defending your team and that it's hard not to be biased, but if you can introduce even an inkling of objectivity into your assessment, you have to see that it was a terrible no-call given what had transpired (as CDu points out).

And now I'll ask a really interesting question... had the heels lost like they should have in that game, would they still be a #1 seed? Moot point, I know, but...
    I think they probably were locked as a #1 seed the moment Henson hurt his wrist. The committee wasn't going to punish UNC for a loss without its best defensive player, best rebounder, and third best scorer.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think they probably were locked as a #1 seed the moment Henson hurt his wrist. The committee wasn't going to punish UNC for a loss without its best defensive player, best rebounder, and third best scorer.
    fair point

I'll be rooting strongly against the Pack next game. For one thing, I think KU's got a better chance against UNC, and for another, we're currently neck-in-neck for a top-20 recruit.

IMO, they've passed the "aw, good for them" stage and are now at the "okay, you're starting to become threatening" level. They may well win the ACC next year if Leslie returns.

I'll be rooting strongly against the Pack next game. For one thing, I think KU's got a better chance against UNC, and for another, we're currently neck-in-neck for a top-20 recruit.

IMO, they've passed the "aw, good for them" stage and are now at the "okay, you're starting to become threatening" level. They may well win the ACC next year if Leslie returns.
    I mean, NCSU was a bad call away from beating UNC a week ago... I do think KU has a better shot, but its not like NCSU has no shot at them....for the record, i don't think state will beat kansas
    1200. DDMF.