• Ohio

0 0%
  • Belmont

1 1.89%
  • 15/16 seeds

0 0%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I was cheering so hard for State to beat Kansas. Broke my heart that Kansas won that game...
    Still too much stupid in the team, can't correct it all in one season. CJL trying to take it to the rim 1v3 with 18s left to go down one was just a stupid basketball play. Reset the offense and play for the last shot to win it all. Calvin has been mostly great, but he still has a lot of basketball to learn.

Then they miss a foul shot and we can't get the board. Seriously?

Not to mention we turn the ball over AGAIN with what, 5s left to play or something instead having time to work a decent shot we step out of bounds.

Even with those two brain farts, if Howell had passed off to Wood quickly at the end, maybe a chance at a decent look.

It's like the Carolina game all over again, except without the refs helping in the team in blue.

Super excited about next year when this team is further removed from steetball and has more discipline and hopefully a higher basketball IQ. We've had our chances this year, just need to take advantage of them.

BTW - State shot 28% for the game and had many chances to win it in the last minute. 28% for the game and was still in at the end against the #6 team in the country! Gone are the days that State needs to play lights out to win against someone good.

Some more fun stats:
    NC State: 20
    Kansas: 15

NC State: 43
    Kansas: 42

Yup, against a MUCH larger team State won the battle of the offensive boards and the boards in general. I believe we also out rebounded Carolina the last two times we played them. Been a long time since State has been a team that works that hard on the glass.

What do you get when you mix one of our least favorite writers, Gregg Doyel, with one of our least favorite teams and player on that team?

Top-seeded North Carolina takes care of Ohio in unimpressive fashion

Harrison Barnes was terrible, and worse than terrible he was selfish. He is said to be an NBA talent, and I'll tell you this: Harrison Barnes has a talent for taking NBA shots. Spinning, fading jumpers from 19 feet? He can shoot those. Make them? Well, no. He can't make them. Not Friday, anyway, when he was guarded by non-NBA defenders who were four or five inches smaller, and 25 to 35 pounds lighter. This was the kind of game Barnes should have had his way -- as Tyler Zeller had his way -- but Barnes couldn't get out of his own way.

Not for lack of effort, though. Barnes shot and shot and shot some more. He took 16 shots all told, most of them difficult, and made three. He was two of nine on 3-pointers, air-balling one of them. He had five turnovers, the worst one in the final seconds of regulation when he decided -- unless Roy Williams decided for him, which would be embarrassing for ol' Roy -- to go one-on-one with the season on the line. It didn't work, of course, and nearly backfired all the way

Wow

I watched the game and it went about as I expected (except for the Pigeon's performance). I work with Heels' fans and they all thought they were going to lose, I consoled them (for whatever reason) by letting them know that the Heels would be playing volleyball on the boards.

Anyway....there are some unbelievable numbers in that boxscore...

-UNC had 17 offensive rebounds, Ohio had 20 defensive rebounds! I expected volleyball, but not quite at that rate.
    -UNC had 24, yes, 24 turnovers. I can't remember the last team I have seen a number that high in college ball by a quality team.
    -The Black Pigeon was 3 for 16, with a 5:4 turnover to assist ratio. I know it was already mentioned in this thread, but I don't think there is any harm in bringing it up again.

With all that being said, I don't expect UNC to play that bad again. Henson and Zeller used their height, but the rest were terrible, except Bullock. He is rapidly becoming a fantastic all around player.

I am really excited to watch Zeller/Henson play against a front line that can handle them. There are going to be a lot of NBA scouts at this game. Henson/Zeller have used their genetics to dominate games all year, in this game they will have to display talent as well. It will be a very good gauge of how their games will translate to the next level. Without Marshall (and even with him to some extent), UNC's best offense is to chuck shots and then hit the offensive boards. Unless KU gets in foul trouble, that is not going to cut it. KU is a terrible matchup for UNC without Marshall.

As for the Stilman White discussion....I think it is pretty obvious, his detailed instructions were: "Do not take risks. Make the safe pass, don't look for your shot and play good defense." Roy nearly burst a blood vessel when the kid shot a 3. I thought he executed that assignment very well, but in the second half, when the pressure was higher, the offense looked terrible and out of sync because their point guard was trying not to make a mistake, instead of trying to make plays. I was very impressed with White's d. He gave Cooper fits. You know who Stilman White really reminds me of? One of our very own, Tyler Thornton.

Sunday is gonna be great basketball with great matchups. Baylor:UK and KU:UNC are two incredible matchups. Really, really interested to see how they play out.

The Black Pigeon is going to have to fly the coop if UNC wants to win this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Dingleberry View Post
    Unless KU gets in foul trouble, that is not going to cut it. KU is a terrible matchup for UNC without Marshall.
    I think you all need to prepare for lots of shots of Robinson and Withey on the bench with 2 fouls in the 1st half. This "terrible matchup" will feature more Kevin Young and Justin Wesley than the one people are looking for. Robinson is just too big and strong, any power moves will look like charges against Henson. (Similar to the Mike Scott matchup earlier in the year.) It's beyond terrible, but that's today's game.

Here's hoping that Taylor, Johnson, Teahan, and Releford can pick up the slack. (Last night, KU only made TWO shots outside of 5 feet.)

Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    I think you all need to prepare for lots of shots of Robinson and Withey on the bench with 2 fouls in the 1st half. This "terrible matchup" will feature more Kevin Young and Justin Wesley than the one people are looking for. Robinson is just too big and strong, any power moves will look like charges against Henson. (Similar to the Mike Scott matchup earlier in the year.) It's beyond terrible, but that's today's game.

Here's hoping that Taylor, Johnson, Teahan, and Releford can pick up the slack. (Last night, KU only made TWO shots outside of 5 feet.)
    KU will need to play much better if they are going to beat UNC. KU's O has been really bad the last few games. I still see UNC making it through. In the past 20 years, an ACC team has been shut out of the FF for two consecutive years only once, 2006 and 2007. I think this is also true for the past 30 years.

UNC has been a FF team 8 times in the last 20 years: in 1993,1995,1997,1998,2000,2005,2008,2009
    Duke has been a FF team 6 times in the last 20 years: in 1992,1994,1999,2001,2004,2010
    Maryland was a FF team 2 times in the last 20 years: in 2001, 2002
    Ga Tech was a FF team 1 time in the last 20 years: in 1999

In the past 20 years, an ACC team has been in the FF every year except for five 1996,2003,2006,2007,2011 -

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    KU will need to play much better if they are going to beat UNC. KU's O has been really bad the last few games. I still see UNC making it through. In the past 20 years, an ACC team has been shut out of the FF for two consecutive years only once, 2006 and 2007. I think this is also true for the past 30 years.

UNC has been a FF team 8 times in the last 20 years: in 1993,1995,1997,1998,2000,2005,2008,2009
    Duke has been a FF team 6 times in the last 20 years: in 1992,1994,1999,2001,2004,2010

In the past 20 years, an ACC team has been in the FF every year except for five 1996,2003,2006,2007,2011 -
    They said on the radio this week that since 1960, the ACC has not gone longer than two consecutive years without having at least one team in the Final Four. 42 years. Quite a feat. Let's hope Duke makes the FF next season to keep that streak alive!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post

Conversely, UNC is going to have to play much better if they are going to beat KU....they were playing against ohio...OHIO for goodness sakes...and they needed overtime, and by all rights probably should have lost in regulation.

I'm not sure the previous history of the ACC in the tournament has any predictive value for tomorrow's game. That's like saying "the winner of the big east tournament has won their last 10 games in the tournament, so UL will probably beat UK next weekend." Teams are teams, nothing more, nothing less. Teams are NOT their conference, and even less the history of their conference.

If you're trying to say that the ACC hasn't been as good at the top since they might not have had a final four in 2 years, yeah that's probably true...but understandable as it won the title the two years before. Speaks volumes about the fact that the conference has consistenly had very good teams (or simply that they have two of the best programs in the country in one conference)
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Conversely, UNC is going to have to play much better if they are going to beat KU....they were playing against ohio...OHIO for goodness sakes...and they needed overtime, and by all rights probably should have lost in regulation.

I'm not sure the previous history of the ACC in the tournament has any predictive value for tomorrow's game. That's like saying "the winner of the big east tournament has won their last 10 games in the tournament, so UL will probably beat UK next weekend." Teams are teams, nothing more, nothing less. Teams are NOT their conference, and even less the history of their conference.

If you're trying to say that the ACC hasn't been as good at the top since they might not have had a final four in 2 years, yeah that's probably true...but understandable as it won the title the two years before. Speaks volumes about the fact that the conference has consistenly had very good teams (or simply that they have two of the best programs in the country in one conference)
    Just an observation. But it is highly unusual for one of two top ACC teams not to be there. UNC's talent is very high and with Marshall- I think they easily beat KU. I think this game will go their way-but it won't be easy.

KU fans that I know are already making excuses IF they lose. Obviously they are saying UNC is going to get all the calls. Withey and Robinson have been prone to foul trouble in a few games this year and have yet to see as big of a team as UNC. So I wouldn't be surprised if they do get in foul trouble. Keep in mind Withey is not a good offensive player so he doesn't get guys in foul trouble. Robinson can get guys in foul trouble but Henson has defended big guys throughout his career. Robinson has been trying to force things on offense of late so that could hurt him as well. Henson and Zeller could get in foul trouble but typically soft players avoid foul trouble

I expect a really good game. Cheering for KU that is for sure!

On my expectations of todays UNC/ KS game...

No Marshall.

Stilman will become more offensive minded than the Ohio game. He's savvy and can get a mid range shot. Roy will give him more freedom to shoot in this one to open things up inside, because KS is gonna pack it in on D. I think the surprise story could be Stilman's offense. He proved he can play in a big time environment against Ohio. He' s a confident kid and should be more relaxed in this game. Unleash Stilman!

Bullock's play will be big as well from outside. UNC will absolutely have to make some jumpers and Bullock seems to be peaking right now, which is a good thing. Nobody's really talking about him, but he's quietly becoming the first round draft pick he was predicted to be out of HS.

Henson's mid range face up jumper is an evolving weapon that teams can't defend. He should look for that today because he can get that shot and it's been falling.

Barnes will need to shoot his jumper from deeper than he has been trying to get them off. Long range day from Barnes. He has NBA range, use it. Cut hard off the screens and give more effort to movement playing off the ball.

Can PJ "make it rain" bring in a thunderstorm, or be just fog?

Bottom line is UNC will have to shoot it from outside and generally play very well to win, as expected in the elite 8 against a strong KS team.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    On my expectations of todays UNC/ KS game...

No Marshall.
    I agree. It's just too soon, and he'd be at too great a risk of injury and too limited to be effective anyway.

Stilman will become more offensive minded than the Ohio game. He's savvy and can get a mid range shot. Roy will give him more freedom to shoot in this one to open things up inside, because KS is gonna pack it in on D. I think the surprise story could be Stilman's offense. He proved he can play in a big time environment against Ohio. He' s a confident kid and should be more relaxed in this game. Unleash Stilman!
    I don't think KU will pack it in on defense. They apply plenty of ball pressure and they are pretty confident in their interior defense with Withey and Robinson.

And I think you continue to overstate White's effectiveness against Ohio. He basically did everything he could to be a non-factor. No threatening passes. Minimal shots and only if wide open. No attacking plays at all. He basically managed to not make mistakes, which is much different from playing well. Don't let the 6-0 assist-turnover ratio fool you - there are such things as token assists, and White found them.

UNC was able to survive playing 4 on 5 offensively because Ohio couldn't stop the inside guys and couldn't shoot in the first half. They'll face a team that can match up with UNC inside this time, which means they'll have a lot more trouble winning 4-on-5 again.

Bottom line is UNC will have to shoot it from outside and generally play very well to win, as expected in the elite 8 against a strong KS team.
    Yes. Your other 4 starters are going to have to be terrific (or hope that Kansas doesn't show up like they did against NC State) to get to the Final Four.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    ...And I think you continue to overstate White's effectiveness against Ohio. He basically did everything he could to be a non-factor. No threatening passes. Minimal shots and only if wide open. No attacking plays at all. They'll face a team that can match up with UNC inside this time, which means they'll have a lot more trouble winning 4-on-5 again.
    He did what he was asked to do,and played under control against some quick guards.
    I agree this game they can't afford to go 4 on 5. They need Stilman to look for a shot more in this one.

I'm thinking he can get them and make them, we'll see.

Bullock's play will be big as well from outside. UNC will absolutely have to make some jumpers and Bullock seems to be peaking right now, which is a good thing. Nobody's really talking about him, but he's quietly becoming the first round draft pick he was predicted to be out of HS.
    Every big game needs an X Factor and Bullock could be the guy in today's game. I agree with you he has been coming on strong of late and people are taking notice. He can really shoot the basketball and seems to have the ability to play physical. Bullock got a bit of a bad rap last year as people, both Carolina and Duke fans, were all over him for poor performance without acknowledging the kid was playing hurt. Today could be redemption day for Bullock.

Can PJ "make it rain" bring in a thunderstorm, or be just fog?
    Hairston's shot has improved but he is lazy on D. If he wants to develop into a threat, he needs to show energy on both ends of the court. He gets routinely beat on D and forces Coach Williams to yank his butt off the court.

Finally, as much as it pains me to say it, and it pains me greatly, I don't expect Barnes to stink the joint up two games in a row. Of course, we can hope. I never get tired of seeing Barnes suck.
    Bob Green

I agree this game they can't afford to go 4 on 5. They need Stilman to look for a shot more in this one.
    I think that decision is up to Coach Williams. He seemed visibly upset when Stilman shot the ball against Ohio.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I think that decision is up to Coach Williams. He seemed visibly upset when Stilman shot the ball against Ohio.
    Different game...Roy wanted to pound the post every time in that game. And I think the only time he got on the kid was that long three, at a point in the game UNC was settling for jumpers too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

...Hairston's shot has improved but he is lazy on D. If he wants to develop into a threat, he needs to show energy on both ends of the court. He gets routinely beat on D and forces Coach Williams to yank his butt off the court.
    I don't think he's as lazy as he is just not a good defender, yet. He's having a typical freshman season, and I don't think Roy is confident in his ball handling and decision making.

He did what he was asked to do,and played under control against some quick guards.

I'm thinking he can get them and make them, we'll see.
    I'd argue that "what he was asked to do" was asked only because the team knew he wasn't capable of much more. Note that in the second half, when Ohio decided to make it difficult to get the ball to Zeller, UNC's offense fizzled. The team just had no ability to create offense, so Barnes and Bullock were forced to take jumpers (which Bullock hit a bunch of big ones).

I really don't think we're going to see White do much offensively, mainly because Kansas has even quicker guards than Ohio. If UNC wins, it'll be because of one (or more) of the following:

1. Foul trouble by Withey and/or Robinson
    2. Too many turnovers and/or bad shots by Kansas's guards
    3. Great shooting from Bullock, Barnes, and/or Hairston

They'll need White to continue to at least be a non-factor, but that'll be tougher against Taylor and Johnson than it was against Cooper (who was just awful) and Kellogg.

But we'll see how it plays out at 5:05 today now that we know Marshall is out.

Not sure if this has been posted in this thread yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddXfc0mQfxc
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted in this thread yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddXfc0mQfxc
    Thanks DD! Go Jayhawks! Beat down the evil empire so we all can sleep tonight!