• Montana

0 0%
  • St. Bonaventure

0 0%
  • 15/16 seeds

0 0%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    The fact that he missed the foul call doesn't make the OOB call any less wrong...he kicked the call twice...by missing the foul...and then by calling it out of bounds off the wrong team. I've read most of the rulebook, and so far I have not come across a rule that says

The game doesn't work that way. If you want to say that sometimes judgement calls can go the other way when there has been what the ref considers a crummy call, sure. But you can't modify the rules of the game. You can't say "yeah the ball went off syracuse but he was fouled, so we'll ignore the foul and just call it out of bounds to syracuse"...That leeway doesn't exist. Perhaps you think the refs should also be able to arbitrarily award two points to the victim of a bad call to, you know "even things out"

Missing the foul and calling it out on the wrong team were both incorrect calls, and there's no two ways about it. You most CERTAINLY cannot say they were "right on"
    I probably should have worded it as two sentences or added another comma, but I was saying that (1) they were right on the lane violation call, and (2) the out of bounds play, if called correctly...

I agree that the ball should never have gone to Syracuse out of bounds, however the non-call on the foul that happened less than .02 seconds before the ball went out of bounds was also a terrible call. Just because there's not much time left doesn't mean you swallow your whistle. If it should have been a foul in the first few minutes, it should be one on the last minute as well.

I'm also not sure about the John Adams comment about there not being a foul. The quote I saw from Adams was "I'm not going to alibi for the gentlemen in the game. They work their butts off. When you see this call, it's either a foul or you give it to the other team that didn't knock the ball out of bounds." Maybe he said something elsewhere, but that quote doesn't seem like he's clearing the refs for not calling the foul.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdevil2009 View Post
    I probably should have worded it as two sentences or added another comma, but I was saying that (1) they were right on the lane violation call, and (2) the out of bounds play, if called correctly...

I agree that the ball should never have gone to Syracuse out of bounds, however the non-call on the foul that happened less than .02 seconds before the ball went out of bounds was also a terrible call. Just because there's not much time left doesn't mean you swallow your whistle. If it should have been a foul in the first few minutes, it should be one on the last minute as well.

I'm also not sure about the John Adams comment about there not being a foul. The quote I saw from Adams was "I'm not going to alibi for the gentlemen in the game. They work their butts off. When you see this call, it's either a foul or you give it to the other team that didn't knock the ball out of bounds." Maybe he said something elsewhere, but that quote doesn't seem like he's clearing the refs for not calling the foul.
    Ah, that makes much more sense. The refs took unfair heat for the lane violation...mostly because the commentators didn't have a clue what the rule actually was, and casual fans will eat up whatever the commentator says.

Thanks for the clarification, your whole post makes sense, then. We'll never know if the two calls would have resulted in a UNCA win, but we do know that it killed pretty much any chance they had.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by dcdevil2009 View Post
    With a quick search I can't find a direct quote but:

From Seth Davis' twitter, "NCAA coordinator of officials John Adams is good frickin' TV. Said flat out ball should have been awarded to Ashville on OB play."

From an AP story on the game, "Coordinator of Officiating John Adams said he would have given the ball to UNC Asheville on the inbounds play"

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    With a quick search I can't find a direct quote but:

From Seth Davis' twitter, "NCAA coordinator of officials John Adams is good frickin' TV. Said flat out ball should have been awarded to Ashville on OB play."

From an AP story on the game, "Coordinator of Officiating John Adams said he would have given the ball to UNC Asheville on the inbounds play"
    And I was watching live on CBS when Adams referred to the contact as incidental -- two players going for the ball.

wiscy/vandy was a heck of a game...I think syracuse has their hands full in boston next week and goes down....
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    wiscy/vandy was a heck of a game...I think syracuse has their hands full in boston next week and goes down....
    What did you think about the non call on Wisconsin with the push in the back after Jenkins missed the 3 in the last 10 seconds?

Heck of a finish happening in the FSU game.

cuse cutting it kinda close

64-63 cuse....30 secs left...cuse with the ball
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Wisconsin shot 14-27 on 3-pointers, but came up short. The Badgers needed that 15th 3-pointer to fall.
    Bob Green

Wisconsin's offense is pretty ugly...they would just pass it around for 30 seconds and chuck up a 3. Luckily, they shot very well from 3 to keep them in the game, but the last 5 possessions were pathetic. They took like 35 seconds every time when they could have done a beautiful 2-for-1 at the end. And they got bailed out with a very iffy foul called. But gotta give them credit for the plays they made.

But it has to be disappointing to them that with 15 seconds left down 1, the best shot you get is a 30-footer double teamed with 2 seconds left. On the airball, a Wisconsin guy also had the easiest catch and layin, but had butterfingers. Syracuse seems to consistently win close games this season, although they missed a key free throw late there and almost didn't escape. I think OSU will beat 'Cuse down badly assuming they get by Cincy, which won't be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Wisconsin shot 14-27 on 3-pointers, but came up short. The Badgers needed that 15th 3-pointer to fall.
    Or on that last possession, a 2 pointer. Wisconsin wants Taylor to take that last shot but Syracuse knows that as well. If I am Bo Ryan I use that last TO and set up a play using Taylor as a decoy. Credit to Syracuse D though. They made him take his rise and fire 3 from 26 feet with a hand in his face.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Or they needed to actually run a play...another team hands syracuse the win down the stretch...I'm not sure OSU will be so kind (supposing they win tonight)
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Wisconsin's offense is pretty ugly...they would just pass it around for 30 seconds and chuck up a 3.
    Creepy Bo Ryan. Just not my kind of guy at all.

The refs are loving the Orange this year. They've gotten the benefit of 2 foul calls (one being the second on Sullinger) where there was absolutely no contact at all. Sheesh.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

This is one for conspiracy theorists

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    The refs are loving the Orange this year. They've gotten the benefit of 2 foul calls (one being the second on Sullinger) where there was absolutely no contact at all. Sheesh.
    After Sullinger's second, Waiters for Syracuse missed a wide open dunk, fell awkwardly, and the refs called a phantom foul on tOSU. Horrible, one-sided refereeing so far.

Actually during the seaon, OSU got called for 16.0 fouls per game this season with Syracuse 15.1. Pretty much a wash.

This is coming off last season, when OSU got called for a meager 14 fouls a game...the least in college basketball. Apparently Thad has taught his team how to grab without the refs noticing it.

As for the first half of today's game, OSU got called for 6...and Syracuse got called for 11 and a Technical on Boeheim. And the eye test suggest that OSU is getting away with a lot of their standard hand-checks and grabs that they are notoriously known for, while there are some very questionable whistles on the Orange (Jay Bilas is noticing the same thing on twitter).

I suspect Sullinger will get his usual Hanstravel treatment in the 2nd half.
    Windy City Devil

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    You see the one where the Syracuse guy drove the lane, and missed the dunk so badly he fell on his back? He was not touched! The two OSU defenders standing near him both let him go. Neither one even flailed at him or nothing. That is honestly the strangest foul call I have seen all year. Talk about "anticipating" a foul to happen. Wow.

As predicted..3 weak fouls to start by Syracuse (2 of which were as weak as they come).

Thad Motta is blackmailing someone to get this kind of favorable treatment...
    Windy City Devil

I am really respecting this Syracuse team. They are showing some great heart. They don't have Fab for this tournament, but everybody they put in plays with everything they have.

Congrats to Greg Paulus he may get a chance to be part of final four as a staff member for ohio state.