• 15/16 seeds

0 0%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Looks like I had this one wrong. Per the NCAA rule book (9.2.g):

Players not in a legal marked lane space shall remain behind the freethrow
    line extended and behind the three-point field-goal line until
    the ball strikes the ring, flange or backboard, or until the free throw
    ends.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    Take this for what it's worth, but I just heard Doug Gottlieb say that the guard can't go into the lane until the ball has hit the rim.
    Is he talking about High school ball?
    Or have I lost all touch on reality?

Ok, never mind...I re-read that, and now know you are talking about the guard above the 3-point line.

What is the rule on that?

Red face

Syracuse gets all the calls!!!!

WOW

Syracuse just got LUCKY! What an epic upset thwarted by the zebras. These guys need to be held more accountable for some of the 'calls' they make or don't make. I understand it's an incredibly demanding job with people pulling you every which way, but sometimes it's just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Didn't see that - it looked like the call was on the guy at the arc (I'm watching at work with the sound way down, so can't fully follow). If it was on the guy at the arc, it's an awful call. If there was a lane violation on someone else and that's what was called, I rescind my comment.
    Fun fact to clear things up:

g. Players not in a legal marked lane space shall remain behind the freethrow line extended and behind the three-point field-goal line until the ball
    strikes the ring, flange or backboard, or until the free throw ends.
    For players outside the arc, its on the rim, not the shot (as many seem to think)....

EDIT: seems i've been beaten to this pretty soundly...
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePublisher View Post
    Syracuse just got LUCKY! What an epic upset thwarted by the zebras. These guys need to be held more accountable for some of the 'calls' they make or don't make. I understand it's an incredibly demanding job with people pulling you every which way, but sometimes it's just too much.
    All I saw was the Sportscenter highlight... how bad was UNCA jobbed?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    All I saw was the Sportscenter highlight... how bad was UNCA jobbed?
    The in game announcers couldn't explain it (big surprise I know) but as others have pointed out up thread the referee actually got the free throw lane violation correct. The goal tend and out of bounds call however were pretty obvious live and ridiculously obvious on replay. Two pretty tough breaks but I don't think anywhere close to the hose job NC State received last weekend.

FSU in Trouble?

Florida State is trailing St. Bonaventure's by four with under four in the 1H. The Bonnies are surprisingly (to me) big and physical.

sage

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Florida State is trailing St. Bonaventure's by four with under four in the 1H. The Bonnies are surprisingly (to me) big and physical.

sage
    I too was surprised at St Bonaventure's physical nature. Snaer didn't play the whole half so I wouldn't be that concerned if I am a Noles fan but the Bonnies have more confidence now than when the game started. Should be a great 2nd half

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    I too was surprised at St Bonaventure's physical nature. Snaer didn't play the whole half so I wouldn't be that concerned if I am a Noles fan but the Bonnies have more confidence now than when the game started. Should be a great 2nd half
    Did he get quick foul trouble? How much did he end up sitting?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Did he get quick foul trouble? How much did he end up sitting?
    2 fouls in the first 2 minutes. Sat the rest of the half

2 fouls in the first 2 minutes. Sat the rest of the half
    Snaer with 0 points with 1:27 left!

Florida State just wore down the Bonnies in the 2nd half. Timely shooting by FSU held off the Bonnies late 3 point barrage.

I really enjoy watching FSU play. As Jim Spanarkel said "FSU's defensive game travels well."

Florida State just wore down the Bonnies in the 2nd half. Timely shooting by FSU held off the Bonnies late 3 point barrage.

I really enjoy watching FSU play. As Jim Spanarkel said "FSU's defensive game travels well."
    They were fortunate to survive with such a bad game from Snaer. But survive and advance- I expect they will play better.

FSU Wins -- Barely

The Bonnies had the ball with 20 seconds to go and down by three. They never got a three point shot and ended up missing two from inside. Glad FSU won,... but, whew!!

sage

Whew! Didn't want the ACC (aside from Carolina) falling in a major upset. Glad FSU held up their end of the deal. Duke's turn next.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePublisher View Post
    I'm not defending the refs for the goaltending call early in the 2nd half, but they were right on the lane violation call and the out of bounds/foul call, if called correctly, would only have served to put a different foul shooter on the line and save Asheville a few seconds. Yes, the ball went off Syracuse, but only got to that point because the foul call was missed. Maybe it would have made a difference in the outcome, but had the refs given the ball to Asheville without calling the foul and Syracuse ended up losing, the mistake would have been even more inexcusable. If the correct calls had been made in the two situations, the net result would have been 1-2 more points for Asheville early in the 2nd half and 3-4 more seconds on the clock late in it, probably not enough for Asheville to say they got hosed by the refs.

Somewhat related, I'm not sure which would be worse for each school's fan base, Syracuse hypothetically losing on a an egregious non-call would be close to as bad for their fans as us hypothetically losing to Butler after the egregious non-call on the screen to set up the Butler prayer. Duke would only have three titles, but Syracuse would be the first 1 seed to ever lose to a 16.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdevil2009 View Post
    I'm not defending the refs for the goaltending call early in the 2nd half, but they were right on the lane violation call and the out of bounds/foul call, if called correctly, would only have served to put a different foul shooter on the line and save Asheville a few seconds. Yes, the ball went off Syracuse, but only got to that point because the foul call was missed. Maybe it would have made a difference in the outcome, but had the refs given the ball to Asheville without calling the foul and Syracuse ended up losing, the mistake would have been even more inexcusable. If the correct calls had been made in the two situations, the net result would have been 1-2 more points for Asheville early in the 2nd half and 3-4 more seconds on the clock late in it, probably not enough for Asheville to say they got hosed by the refs.

Somewhat related, I'm not sure which would be worse for each school's fan base, Syracuse hypothetically losing on a an egregious non-call would be close to as bad for their fans as us hypothetically losing to Butler after the egregious non-call on the screen to set up the Butler prayer. Duke would only have three titles, but Syracuse would be the first 1 seed to ever lose to a 16.
    The fact that he missed the foul call doesn't make the OOB call any less wrong...he kicked the call twice...by missing the foul...and then by calling it out of bounds off the wrong team. I've read most of the rulebook, and so far I have not come across a rule that says

If an official has missed a foul by team a against team b, the correct course of action is to make a bad call in team b's favor in order that there is no net gain
    The game doesn't work that way. If you want to say that sometimes judgement calls can go the other way when there has been what the ref considers a crummy call, sure. But you can't modify the rules of the game. You can't say "yeah the ball went off syracuse but he was fouled, so we'll ignore the foul and just call it out of bounds to syracuse"...That leeway doesn't exist. Perhaps you think the refs should also be able to arbitrarily award two points to the victim of a bad call to, you know "even things out"

Missing the foul and calling it out on the wrong team were both incorrect calls, and there's no two ways about it. You most CERTAINLY cannot say they were "right on"
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdevil2009 View Post
    Yes, the ball went off Syracuse, but only got to that point because the foul call was missed.
    John Adams, the NCAA head of officiating, disagreed. He said the refs blew it -- that there was no foul, only incidental contact, and should have been UNCA's ball, down three, on their end of the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by TNDukeFan View Post
    John Adams, the NCAA head of officiating, disagreed. He said the refs blew it -- that there was no foul, only incidental contact, and should have been UNCA's ball, down three, on their end of the floor.
    I think blowing games like that (or I certainly hope) means its less likely for the refs to get invited back to ref the tournament in the future...
    1200. DDMF.