0 0%
  • Montana

0 0%
  • St. Bonaventure

0 0%
  • 15/16 seeds

0 0%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Barkley: "They need to get out of the zone! Syracuse needs to go go to man-to-man." hahaha

Greg Anthony: "After going 31-2 and getting a 1 seed, you don't change your whole gameplan you've played with all year to try to match a 16 seed. Just got to play better."

(Paraphrasing). Funny stuff...love Barkely, but he say some ridiculous things sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Yes, I am. 34-30 Asheville at the half. I'll take it. As much as I like Boeheim, I'd love to see the Cuse go down today. That would be a first.
    I don't know I've always kind of hoped our friends from chapel hill would be the first to fall to a 16. I guess as long as it's not Duke I'll root for as many close games and upsets as possible, how many times have we seen a 15 or 16 hang in it until halftime and then the big dog blows them out in the second half though?

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    Len's entire style of broadcasting is to point out what each team is doing poorly. What a negative nelly.

I did see Karl Hess in another game earlier but I can't recall which game it was.
    Hess was in the Kansas St./S. Miss game. Not surprisingly, he made a terrible call with about 30 seconds left to give Kansas St. the ball when the ball clearly went out of bounds off them (they were up 4 at the time, I think).

The end of the half of the UNC-A/Syracuse game left me a bit confused: Syracuse airballed a three-pointer, it was rebounded by Syracuse, and that player is fouled as he goes up for a shot (which he makes). However, the officials look at the monitor and see that the ball was not out of the player's hands before the shot clock reach zero. So they discounted the basket and UNC-A got the ball. But since the foul clearly occurred before the shot clock expired, shouldn't Syracuse still get two free-throws since they were in the bonus?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph-Wiggum View Post
    Hess was in the Kansas St./S. Miss game. Not surprisingly, he made a terrible call with about 30 seconds left to give Kansas St. the ball when the ball clearly went out of bounds off them (they were up 4 at the time, I think).

The end of the half of the UNC-A/Syracuse game left me a bit confused: Syracuse airballed a three-pointer, it was rebounded by Syracuse, and that player is fouled as he goes up for a shot (which he makes). However, the officials look at the monitor and see that the ball was not out of the player's hands before the shot clock reach zero. So they discounted the basket and UNC-A got the ball. But since the foul clearly occurred before the shot clock expired, shouldn't Syracuse still get two free-throws since they were in the bonus?
    I'm with you on the foul issue. Even if it can't be a shooting foul (since the ball didn't get released in time), it would seem to be a non-shooting foul if the foul was called before the shot clock expired. Maybe the official didn't whistle the foul until too late?

Separately, anyone know when the last time was that a 16-seed had a halftime lead?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I'm with you on the foul issue. Even if it can't be a shooting foul (since the ball didn't get released in time), it would seem to be a non-shooting foul if the foul was called before the shot clock expired. Maybe the official didn't whistle the foul until too late?

Separately, anyone know when the last time was that a 16-seed had a halftime lead?
    They said it's happened 6 times before today. I think one of them was Connecticut down to Albany back in 2006.

Dickey needs to go off in the second half for UNC-A to stay close, IMO. Syracuse is going to come out faster and more physical, create turnovers, get transition points get baskets around the rim. UNC-A basically has to upset a 1-seed all over again in another 20 minute game.

Syracuse is always first.

I kind of like the idea of 'Cuse going down today, even it means UNC won't have the opportunity to go down as the first 1 seed to lose. 'Cuse was the first 2 seed to ever lose to a 15 back in 1991 to Richmond.

UNC will always have to answer about Weber St.

I sense a Cuse run coming. Dickey needs to hit a couple threes before the 8-minute mark or Cuse will have a 5-10 point lead, IMO.

ETA: There you go. Dickey misses a three, Southerland hits one. That's not how you upset a 1-seed.

ETA2: Couple of great plays by the big guys keeping them in it. Still, Cuse's shots are much easier. UNC-A needs some 3's to break their way and get a lead with 4-5 minutes, or else Cuse will close it out.
    Last edited by Greg_Newton; 03-15-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Poor Dickey. If he was hitting even his average, they would have had a real shot at beating Syracuse tonight.

Syracuse has gotten the benefit of two absolutely atrocious calls in this one - the goaltending earlier in the half that wasn't called (once again, the Orange are helped by a goaltend non-call), and now the "lane violation" on the guy behind the three point line. They've picked up 3 (and maybe 4) points directly from those calls. Those points could end up being the margin. Unbelievable.

Syracuse has gotten the benefit of two absolutely atrocious calls in this one - the goaltending earlier in the half that wasn't called (once again, the Orange are helped by a goaltend non-call), and now the "lane violation" on the guy behind the three point line. They've picked up 3 (and maybe 4) points directly from those calls. Those points could end up being the margin. Unbelievable.
    Make that three - ball out of bounds off of Triche. Yeesh.

It was a lane violation

Looking at the replay on that one again, #4's foot touches down in the lane JUST before the ball was released, so it was a legitimate lane violation.

Those refs shouldn't be allowed to do another game this tourney.. that was aweful..

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    Looking at the replay on that one again, #4's foot touches down in the lane JUST before the ball was released, so it was a legitimate lane violation.
    I agree. I saw that too on the replay but for some reason it seemed that the ref called the guard who came in for the rebound for the violation.

Also, was Triche fouled before he lost the ball out of bounds?

Can't be lettin' the Big South beat the Big East. It will ruin the narrative. If these three guys get to officiate another game, then the tournament is a joke.

If Triche was fouled, then there should have been a foul called, and Syracuse should have shot. But giving them the ball out of bounds is not an option available to the officials, unless there is no foul AND Asheville touched the ball last. The officials did not call a foul, and Asheville did not touch the ball last. Either way, ball officiating. No effort by the officials to "get it right". Also, I thought the official was calling the lane violation on the guard, and that's how he reacted.

I thought the lane violation was pretty close, but it did seem like the ref was calling the violation on the game coming from the perimeter, not the guy on the block. The guy from the perimeter wasn't even close to a violation. The ball off Triche was so obvious though - and contrary to Len, I didn't think there was a foul on UNC-A there either. He was simply going for the ball, but never touched it. Should have been their ball. Too bad their best player couldn't hit a shot; they still had a chance despite their best player going 1-13. Nobody would have guessed that. The goaltend earlier was SO obvious too; hit the backboard and bounced back significantly before the block.

Seth Davis just explained that player can't go beyond free throw line before hits the rim - I didn't know that. I thought they could go as soon as they release it. Pretty clear there's a lane violation based on that rule. Out of bounds and goaltend calls on the other hand...Having said that, I thought at the end of the first half, Syracuse should have been awarded free throws since the foul occurred before the shot clock violation. Doesn't seem like it'd matter that the shot didn't get off in time if foul occurred before shot clock.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    I agree. I saw that too on the replay but for some reason it seemed that the ref called the guard who came in for the rebound for the violation.

Also, was Triche fouled before he lost the ball out of bounds?
    Didn't see that - it looked like the call was on the guy at the arc (I'm watching at work with the sound way down, so can't fully follow). If it was on the guy at the arc, it's an awful call. If there was a lane violation on someone else and that's what was called, I rescind my comment.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    If Triche was fouled, then there should have been a foul called, and Syracuse should have shot. But giving them the ball out of bounds is not an option available to the officials, unless there is no foul AND Asheville touched the ball last. The officials did not call a foul, and Asheville did not touch the ball last. Either way, ball officiating. No effort by the officials to "get it right". Also, I thought the official was calling the lane violation on the guard, and that's how he reacted.
    Take this for what it's worth, but I just heard Doug Gottlieb say that the guard can't go into the lane until the ball has hit the rim.