• New Mexico State

0 0%
  • South Dakota State

1 0.57%
  • 15/16 seeds

0 0%
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    More evidence of ESPN using the Duke brand to sell stories. One of the current front page options is titled, "10 on Upset Alert" and introduced a blog covering favored teams that could lose/underdogs who could pull off upsets. The graphic is Austin Rivers, Seth Curry and Mason depicted as Giants and two players whose team I can't make out depicted as small next to a sling and stone with the words "Giant Killers". Why do I bring this up? Duke isn't even mentioned in the piece.
    ha, I noticed that too. Right now the FRONT PAGE of ESPN has this as the central image:

insider_illustration2x_576.jpg

The Harder They Fall: Which Goliaths need to look out below? According to our calculations, here are the 10 likeliest early upsets

I'm not an insider though, so I can't actually read the article..

UNLV has nothing. Nothing!

They absolutely lucked out to get Colorado (who is equally awful) and so they might win that game...but if they do Baylor is going to blow them out of the gym (so would S. Dakota State). I'll do numerous brackets and in none of them will I have UNLV in the Sweet 16. Teams that finish 5-5 down the stretch never do anything in the tournament. Ever. And the fact that people are talking them up makes it even worse. They'll buy into the hype, and for this team that will spell disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post

They absolutely lucked out to get Colorado (who is equally awful) and so they might win that game...but if they do Baylor is going to blow them out of the gym (so would S. Dakota State). I'll do numerous brackets and in none of them will I have UNLV in the Sweet 16. Teams that finish 5-5 down the stretch never do anything in the tournament. Ever. And the fact that people are talking them up makes it even worse. They'll buy into the hype, and for this team that will spell disaster.
    Seth Davis was the only one I have heard hype them up and that was before they went to commercial. Of course I am not convinced that Seth has much basketball knowledge so I just shrugged and turned off the tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post

I saw UNLV's conference tourney loss to New Mexico, and frankly was impressed by the high level of play on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    ha, I noticed that too. Right now the FRONT PAGE of ESPN has this as the central image:

insider_illustration2x_576.jpg

The Harder They Fall: Which Goliaths need to look out below? According to our calculations, here are the 10 likeliest early upsets

I'm not an insider though, so I can't actually read the article..
    It says not to pick Duke to get upset. The article also says Duke generates too much offense from the FT line. Uhm, that's a bad thing? Really?

I just wanted to point out to all the people that were like "there is no way we will hit an elite athletic small forward there are only like 3 of them in college basketball" that in our likely sweet sixteen and elite eight matchups we will be going against small forwards that are lottery picks. We will have no answer for Quincy Miller and Michael Kid-Gilchrist and it will be our downfall. This is why many of us wanted Gbinije playing from day 1 so that we could use him in these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    I just wanted to point out to all the people that were like "there is no way we will hit an elite athletic small forward there are only like 3 of them in college basketball" that in our likely sweet sixteen and elite eight matchups we will be going against small forwards that are lottery picks. We will have no answer for Quincy Miller and Michael Kid-Gilchrist and it will be our downfall. This is why many of us wanted Gbinije playing from day 1 so that we could use him in these situations.
    Do you really think Gbinije would be up to stopping either of those two guys? As you said, they are small forwards that are lottery picks. Gbinije is not. He's not experienced enough to have earned the playing time...what makes you think playing him more would have suddenly made him able to guard the best small forwards in the country?
    1200. DDMF.

8. I was randomly clicking around the cbssports.com website and saw the "experts'" brackets: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...nt/predictions

There are eight analysts and not a single one has us surviving the Sweet 16! We mostly lost to Baylor or got upset by Xavier. Not even one!

Somehow, strangely, this makes me feel better about our chances.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Do you really think Gbinije would be up to stopping either of those two guys? As you said, they are small forwards that are lottery picks. Gbinije is not. He's not experienced enough to have earned the playing time...what makes you think playing him more would have suddenly made him able to guard the best small forwards in the country?
    Stopping? No. Making them actually work for their shots? Yes. You don't need to be Shane Battier to make a player work for their shots. You do however need to have a long athlete that you can put on them to make it difficult. You watch. Quincy Miller is going to score 25 points against Duke. Coach K will have no answer for him.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    I was randomly clicking around the cbssports.com website and saw the "experts'" brackets: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...nt/predictions

There are eight analysts and not a single one has us surviving the Sweet 16! We mostly lost to Baylor or got upset by Xavier. Not even one!

Well, that part is somewhat comforting.

Reminds me of 2010, where even as a #1 seed, almost none of the talking heads had Duke coming out of the Houston, TX bracket.
    The popular choices were Villanova and Baylor.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...ick-duke-upset

Here's a link to the pick against Duke theme.

Stopping? No. Making them actually work for their shots? Yes. You don't need to be Shane Battier to make a player work for their shots. You do however need to have a long athlete that you can put on them to make it difficult. You watch. Quincy Miller is going to score 25 points against Duke. Coach K will have no answer for him.
    Seeing as Quincy Miller is their 4, I don't think Ryan, Josh, or the Plumlees will have any trouble making him work for his shot.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    I was randomly clicking around the cbssports.com website and saw the "experts'" brackets: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...nt/predictions

We've got them just where we want them!!!

(see that cat? see the cradle?)

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I have faith in K and that he does what is right but I do think at some point G will be a stopper on the perimeter and we have been hurt in games like UNC versus Barnes not having someone who can at least look him in the eyes. It is just unfortunate that we have 2 true SF's on our bench and neither is ready to give us effective minutes in K's eyes off the bench.

Sadly, the reality is that when K gave G minutes in the season, he was lost on offense and not stellar on D. K made the decision, apparently, that on the whole there were more effective options for the wings than a guy who wasn't ready on either end of the court. Maybe if K had stubbornly kept throwing G out there, G would be ready to slow down those guys, if we meet them. Maybe we would also have lost 3 or 4 more games along the way and currently be a 3 or 4 seed with an even tougher path. Who knows? Kind of pointless second guessing at this point. Assuming we don't win the tournament, you can certainly find a way to explain how G would have made the difference, if only K had seen the wisdom to play him extensively through the season.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    I have faith in K and that he does what is right but I do think at some point G will be a stopper on the perimeter and we have been hurt in games like UNC versus Barnes not having someone who can at least look him in the eyes. It is just unfortunate that we have 2 true SF's on our bench and neither is ready to give us effective minutes in K's eyes off the bench.
    Sure, but in the game we actually lost to Carolina this season, Barnes only scored 16 points. That means that if Barnes had been held scoreless, UNC would still have won the game. Which is to say that that game sucked for a complex of reasons. Our perimeter defense across the board and not only at the three has been a weakness all season. We lost an incredible two-way asset last year when Singler graduated, and we lost an incredible two-way asset last year when Smith graduated. Having a more prototypical three ready to contribute would obviously help, but I would suggest we were bound to take a step back regardless, considering what was lost.

Problem is, "many of us" don't have 900 wins and 4 national championships to our credit. So what do you think, maybe might be wise to defer to the judgment of one of the top 2 coaches in the history of the sport to have the best idea as to how to maximize the performance and results of the team? Or do "many of us" know more than he does?

Gbinije got a number of opportunities to play this year, and to play against opponents far inferior to guys like Kidd-Gilchrist and Miller. He couldn't handle them, and was obviously hurting the team. He wasn't ready to play this year, plain and simple. He didn't earn the time with his performance at practice or in the games. Folks just gotta let it go on Mike for this year. Just let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Esseintes View Post
    Sure, but in the game we actually lost to Carolina this season, Barnes only scored 16 points. That means that if Barnes had been held scoreless, UNC would still have won the game. Which is to say that that game sucked for a complex of reasons. Our perimeter defense across the board and not only at the three has been a weakness all season. We lost an incredible two-way asset last year when Singler graduated, and we lost an incredible two-way asset last year when Smith graduated. Having a more prototypical three ready to contribute would obviously help, but I would suggest we were bound to take a step back regardless, considering what was lost.
    You just can't use the "he only scored 16 points" and somehow justify it. Who knows how much attention was paid to him? I wasn't specifically watching but perhaps Duke forced the ball out of his hand much like FSU with Dre? Justifying that the rest of our perimeter defense has been bad and that we lost Singler somehow justifies terrible defense of the 3. It might just be one of many problems on defense but it is still a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    You just can't use the "he only scored 16 points" and somehow justify it. Who knows how much attention was paid to him? I wasn't specifically watching but perhaps Duke forced the ball out of his hand much like FSU with Dre? Justifying that the rest of our perimeter defense has been bad and that we lost Singler somehow justifies terrible defense of the 3. It might just be one of many problems on defense but it is still a problem.
    Friend, you brought up Harrison Barnes, not me. He's your example, so I think it is worthwhile to mention that we lost that game without him murdering us. Moreover, I don't know what I'm "justifying." It would be great if we had a shutdown three. No argument from me there. It would be great if we had a lot of things defensively. A shutdown two and a shutdown point, just as a couple for examples.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Problem is, "many of us" don't have 900 wins and 4 national championships to our credit. So what do you think, maybe might be wise to defer to the judgment of one of the top 2 coaches in the history of the sport to have the best idea as to how to maximize the performance and results of the team? Or do "many of us" know more than he does?

Gbinije got a number of opportunities to play this year, and to play against opponents far inferior to guys like Kidd-Gilchrist and Miller. He couldn't handle them, and was obviously hurting the team. He wasn't ready to play this year, plain and simple. He didn't earn the time with his performance at practice or in the games. Folks just gotta let it go on Mike for this year. Just let it go.
    And... I doubt any of us were there at practices, and know what was said, done, instructed, etc. So, yes, I think I defer to those that were at the practices, conducting practices, etc. I'd like to see silent-G get more game time, but he must know that he's having a hard time at practice, and hopefully, is working darn hard to overcome all of that.

Quincy Miller scored 25 points this year ONCE, in a loss to Missouri. He also was held scoreless once. He averages 11 points a game. Points in his last 7 games: 0-12-4-6-2-13-6. None of those teams had a lock-down "long athlete" to make his life difficult.

There are plenty of "athletes" to be scared of in the tournament. Not sure Miller is one of them.