Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    f$u already has 7 PF on them for tomorrow's game for hand checking. Zeller starts the game shooting 1&1.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Strangely, I'm not even that upset. Won't affect our seeding whatsoever, we don't have to play UNC (you know Henson would play if it were us), and UNC has to brawl with FSU again.

Good effort. Out-talented. Hope we get hot and make a run in the tourney.
    I agree. FSU will probably be a better test for the heels than us right now. I was not looking forward to play the heels again.

I was all ready to feel good about going into the ncaat before Kelly's injury. Now we're going in with no momentum and very bad offensive struggles - a total reverse of what we've this season. On the other hand we've faced two very good defensive opponents. I'm betting we'll be a popular pick to be upset early. It ofcourse depends on matchups but we seem prone to bad matchups right now.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    This week...the team needs to focus on executing their offense with more discipline.

The bigs need to practice being available on the pick and rolls.
    The bigs also need to practice on posting up closer to the hoop. Mason shouldn't be getting the ball 12-15 feet from the hoop.

The guards need to tighten up their handles. No weaksauce dribble. Seth, Quin and Tyler...play strong with the ball.
    Austin needs to focus on taking the ball strong to the whole...but to keep his head up and look for dishing opportunities.

Andre...he just needs to find a hunger. A hunger to leave it all out on the court.

These are all things we have seen over the course of the season...time to focus on them for the Big Dance.

And Ryan...just hope he can contribute.

Agreed, Agreed, Agreeed, Agreed.

I'm not going to worry about Ryan, I think a lot of the reason were holding him out is pre-cautionary but yes, our guard play NEEDS to tighten up and be more aggressive. No more shooting 3's for Tyler Thornton, just step in take it in a few steps and be aggressive!

I'll keep it simple,

This team is not very good right now. I'm not sure I can think of a recent Duke team that reminds me of this one, but we're really struggling on offense. We never pass the ball on the roll. Granted the Plumlee's fumble the ball at times, but we will not make it far in the tourney with Ty Thornton being an integral part of our offense. I could go on and ramble, but its obvious. If we're not hitting the 3 at a 40% clip, we have nothing offensively. I think what bothers me the most is we won't even try to feed it to the post. Miles had a little streak in the 2nd half, but nope, we will not keep feeding him.

I am hopeful that K will motivate these guys to play better coming up, but schematically, there's nothing much we can change after 33 games. I'm not even mad. I am more shocked at how we seem to be getting worse as the season continues. Anyone got any ideas how we can get better really fast, or is our ceiling simply the Sweet 16?

The game of basketball, most of the time, requires the passing of the ball. We seem to have forgotten how.

I disagree. FSU is not a better team, but they definitely match up with us well
    Yup. Big guys in the middle, quick tweeners who can drive in the gap in the defense in the lane, quick
    big guards to stop the 3. Snaer in particular found the gap in our D up around the free throw line.
    Not a surprising outcome. Hope Carolina isn't cheering too hard; without, Henson, I don't see them
    beating FSU either.

It is hard for us to win when we only score 59 points. Credit FSU for playing tough defense, but our offense has been in a funk for a couple of weeks and we need to snap out of it before Friday.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post

This is Hamilton's big chance to win an ACC title. Go Noles.
    Yep. He got us minus a big starter (Kelly), and he'll likely get the Heels without one as well (Henson).

Not that the COY would ever admit that...

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    Let's hope the Noles beat the Holes.
    Tomorrow, we are ALL Noles! Despite Leonard Hamilton's glare-schtick wearing VERY thin, it's ABC time! Let FSU go full-punk tomorrow - just sorry Henson won't be there to get knocked around. Actually, I have no problem with Zeller and (mostly) Marshall, so I don't really care that much who wins. Certainly won't watch it, though.

That, and the failure to box out, where the two things frustrating me most. With how often they were double teaming the shooter, we should have had a ton of layups and 6 foot jumpshots. Then again, our guards were doubled teamed by taller defenders, so it's easier said than done.

Oh well. On to the tournament, as everyone's saying. Hopefully Kelly's back by the second round (or earlier).

Too many mistakes (many unforced) and poor execution (on both ends of the court) + FSU making big plays in the end were the difference.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see us slide down to a 3 seed. In the end we rely too heavily on "the lottery" as we have zero post offense and only one guy who can create his own shot off the dribble.

I hope we win the Powerball but I'm not holding my breath. I wouldn't be surprised to see this team in New Orleans and I wouldn't be surprised if this team fell in the 1st round (or whatever its called now).

You know, a non-North Carolina school wins it once a decade or so. It's about time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuqua's Finest View Post
    I'll keep it simple,

This team is not very good right now. I'm not sure I can think of a recent Duke team that reminds me of this one, but we're really struggling on offense. We never pass the ball on the roll. Granted the Plumlee's fumble the ball at times, but we will not make it far in the tourney with Ty Thornton being an integral part of our offense. I could go on and ramble, but its obvious. If we're not hitting the 3 at a 40% clip, we have nothing offensively. I think what bothers me the most is we won't even try to feed it to the post. Miles had a little streak in the 2nd half, but nope, we will not keep feeding him.

I am hopeful that K will motivate these guys to play better coming up, but schematically, there's nothing much we can change after 33 games. I'm not even mad. I am more shocked at how we seem to be getting worse as the season continues. Anyone got any ideas how we can get better really fast, or is our ceiling simply the Sweet 16?
    I could not agree more about feeding the post. I scream it every offensive possession.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    Perhaps a wake up call of sorts although it seems like we've had 10 wake up calls and still keep doing the same thing. Have to wonder about Cook getting more PT to be honest. Luckily, assuming we get past our 15 seed, the 7/10 won't have much time to prepare for us b/c it appears it is pretty easy to game plan for Duke. Sag off on TT and sit on the perimeter b/c we don't look for our bigs. Let the bigs get in foul trouble and attack the offensive boards.
    Got to agree. We don't present a whole lot of matchup problems to anyone-- you know that when you're getting jumpshots blocked at the end of the first half. The only dude who does is Austin Rivers, and he makes just enough freshman mental errors to stop him from being a the total game-changer some of Duke's guards of old were. This is just a very different Duke team-- I love it just the same, but it feels like the parts don't quite fit together smoothly.

Bye Bye 1 seed

No way now

squeeze the $%#!@^&&*(*&^%%$% ball

This week...the team needs to focus on executing their offense with more discipline.

The bigs also need to practice on posting up closer to the hoop. Mason shouldn't be getting the ball 12-15 feet from the hoop.
    all year I've thought this, but wow how many times did they let the ball go through their hands today...and they could have had a half dozen more rebounds but just don't seem at times to be able to hold on to the ball...even with Ryan out, this game was easily winnable without all the unforced turnovers...I give FSU all the credit for the ones they forced, but I'll bet at least 8 turnovers were simply bad hands and lack of attention to detail...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuqua's Finest View Post
    I'll keep it simple,

What was VCU's "ceiling" last year? The whole notion is ridiculous. I would completely disagree with the idea that Duke would have zero chance to win a sweet 16 game if they get that far.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    That, and the failure to box out, where the two things frustrating me most. With how often they were double teaming the shooter, we should have had a ton of layups and 6 foot jumpshots. Then again, our guards were doubled teamed by taller defenders, so it's easier said than done.

Oh well. On to the tournament, as everyone's saying. Hopefully Kelly's back by the second round (or earlier).
    I am 100% with you on this...been a big frustration of mine all season long. And its not just the guards, Miles and Mason are guilty of it as well.
    Windy City Devil

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    It ofcourse depends on matchups but we seem prone to bad matchups right now.
    With Duke the past 3-4 years, it seems to always be about matchups b/c we aren't a complete team. I still think we lose to Kentucky in 2010 but they lost to WVU so that was that. Having Cuse as the #1 isn't terrible (and getting to the E8 will be tough in itself). The 7/10 will be a lot about who we get. Do we get a hot BCS team, an underachieving one, or a well-executing mid major. Normally we dominate mid majors but this team is different. I still would prefer a mid-major though b/c they usually lack the PG who can penetrate and instead rely on a structured offense. I will admit to not having watched too many mid-majors but I think I'd prefer a St. Louis, New Mexico over a Memphis or Uconn. And it will only help that they will have 2 days to prepare as opposed to a week which is what the S16 would bring.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    I agree with Dickie V and presumably you that this isn't a true Duke team but I think we all see flashes of a good team but can't put it together. But I am waking up and getting to the S16 seems to be about as far as I can realistically look at this team and for a top10 team, that feels like a disappointment.
    Okay, but how are they not a "true" Duke team? They are all wearing Duke uniforms, they are all playing for Duke, they are all coached by the Duke coaches, they were all (except for Todd Z.) recruited by the Duke coaches. I have to think that, individually and as a group, they want to play well and want to win, even if they don't always do so.

Granted they are probably not a "typical" Duke team. And your characterization of them --"flashes of a good team but can't put it together"--seems plausible. But I think saying they are not a true Duke team suggests, somehow, that they aren't worthy of us. I don't think it is fair for us, as fans, to feel that entitled.

[I realize I am interpreting your post rather than responding to your direct words, and if I am reading way too much into it, my apologies in advance.]