Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. FSU, ACCT Semifinal, Pre- and In-Game Thread

Wheeeee. Fsu again.

Here's hoping that Rivers, Curry, and Dawkins don't combine for 2-13 from 3pt range again. And here's hoping Thornton is a little more selective from 3pt range (unless it's from the corner). And while we're at it, here's hoping Miles can join Mason in staying out of foul trouble and putting up strong numbers.

It's not going to be easy, but the good things in life rarely are. Let's go get us another trip to an ACC Final!

Here is the ACC list of ACC Network affiliates if you do not get ESPN or want announcer alternatives:
    http://www.theacc.com/live/2012-acc-...-game-ten.html

Live by the Thornton, die by the Thornton. As Tyler goes, we go.

Seriously, this is going to be really, really tough. FSU is better than us physically at every position, possibly save PF, so we need to be hitting threes to stay competitive. I believe we've hit 23 total against them this year, a trend which needs to continue for us to have a shot.

FSU game strategy

Will FSU use the same defensive strategy that V.Tech used against Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    I doubt it, because they don't need to. Unlike VT, they're not undersized; there's not a single player they shouldn't be able to contain 1-on-1. And considering how good their defense is, I'd be happy with Thornton shooting an open three every time down. If he's having anywhere near an average night shooting-wise, that's a good look for us, especially against FSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    Well, ah, it did seem to work pretty well...

Also, I was a little disappointed that Fri. we had to play Austin and our starters (esp Mason) so much.

From the box score, Austin played all 40 minutes, Mason 37 min., Seth and Tyler each got 34. If the goal is to win the tournament, then these kids are gonna be dragging by Sunday. I do hope we get to give the bench - Josh and Andre and QC - more minutes tomorrow. And, yes, I recognize that you still have to win the games first... Just saying it would have been nice if we could have. One positive: it wasn't a fast, running and scoring game; so I doubt that this one wore anyone out too bad at least.

If I'm FSU, I go back to playing Duke very physical inside and forcing TT to shoot and beat you. And use some penteration to beat our weak perimeter defense. But we're a lot better now than when they beat us in CIS.

I for one expect to see Duke bounce back from a sluggish Fri., and play very well against FSU.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Here's hoping that Rivers, Curry, and Dawkins don't combine for 2-13 from 3pt range again. And here's hoping Thornton is a little more selective from 3pt range (unless it's from the corner). And while we're at it, here's hoping Miles can join Mason in staying out of foul trouble and putting up strong numbers.

It's not going to be easy, but the good things in life rarely are. Let's go get us another trip to an ACC Final!
    Here's hoping Tyler doesn't take 13 threes, period. If the defense is going to sag that much out top, drive and dish. The coaches are presumably showing him the game film this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Here's hoping Tyler doesn't take 13 threes, period. If the defense is going to sag that much out top, drive and dish. The coaches are presumably showing him the game film this morning.
    Either that or the coaches are congratulating him for doing exactly what they instructed. I could be either way.

Dangers and Opportunities this Afternoon

1. FSU is stronger than Duke, although not more skilled. It made a difference in the comeback at Cameron.
    2. FSU is offensively challenged. It would obviously help if they lose that challenge. Our D is much better than a month ago. It needs to be really good today.
    3. Miles and Mason need to have a good offensive game.
    4. Effective shooting from outside may be absolutely necessary but I think it's the surest way to victory.

sage

Not to mention their quickness and athleticism. Also Thorton did pass up a couple of open looks so it could have been a more respectable 5-15 or the unthinkable opposite result. We bring our A or even A- game and we win, plain and simple.

Vegas currently has Duke as a two point favorite with the over/under set at 140:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...dds/las-vegas/

I'll take a 71-69 victory.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Not to mention their quickness and athleticism. Also Thorton did pass up a couple of open looks so it could have been a more respectable 5-15 or the unthinkable opposite result. We bring our A or even A- game and we win, plain and simple.
    There should be a permanent thread listing the correct spellings of commonly misspelled names of Duke players.

Thornton (NOT Thorton)
    Redick (NOT Reddick)
    Shelden (NOT Sheldon)

If you're going to root for (or criticize) these guys, at least spell their names correctly please.

And re: Thornton, I don't think K is talking out of his behind when he says Tyler is a leader on the court. Right now, he still offers a lot more than Quinn does overall, especially defensively. You can see him directing things and ordering guys around, even guys older than him. A couple of plays come to mind to illustrate this:

-Miles got a defensive rebound and gave the ball to Tyler. They were the only players left in the backcourt and Tyler waved his hand telling Miles to hustle to the front court. Miles sprinted.
    -Mason committed a bone-headed foul when hedging 40 feet from the hoop. During the next timeout Tyler pushed/slapped Mason's head.

Miles and Mason must NOT get into foul trouble today. As much as I love Josh's hustle and as much as I am intrigued by a 4 guard lineup, I believe the Plumlees have to play as much as possible today. I remember Kyle, as a sophomore, played all 120 minutes in the 2009 ACC tournament. Hopefully some of the guys are up to the challenge of playing 37+ minutes today and tomorrow.

Vegas currently has Duke as a two point favorite with the over/under set at 140:
    Sounds about right. Really need to shoot well in this one. Might have some minutes for silent G; need
    help on D, and some of our guys will be getting tired.

Based on the post-game interview that watzone posted of Tyler, it sounded like the coaches told Thornton to take the wide open shot if the defense is giving it to him. I'm sure after taking 5 of those shots, the coaches would have told him to stop or yanked him from the game if they didn't like what they were seeing. Tyler seemed a bit surprised that Va Tech just wasn't guarding him, but I think the strategy was actually quite interesting and don't personally want to see Tyler shoot that much. I think we'll need to hit a fair number of threes (which we're certainly capable of) to beat Florida State. I thought our win @FSU was the most impressive win of the season (even more than @UNC for some reason) as we showed really strong fight and fortitude in the midst of a challenging atmosphere and calls seemingly not going our way. Without Kelly, I think FSU is actually the slight favorite, but I certainly think we can win if we play well and exhibit a lot of toughness. It won't be easy, though, that's for sure. But I'm mildly optimistic.

Not feeling too good about today's matchup.

Everyone says how offensively challenged FSU is, but lately they've been just fine. Combine that with their physicality and defense, as well as Duke not having Kelly and it will be a tough matchup.

Someone else asked in another thread why Duke doesn't run Redick type plays for Andre, this would be a good game for that too. Andre and Mason need to bring it offensively for this game, they can score effectively on this team, even with FSU's strong defense. I really liked Seth's game against vt, key assists, some buckets and fts at key times, playing a more scheyeresque game, also known as winning basketball. Good to see Josh step up and play well too. Anyone know why Mike G didn't get in game? (small point, G isn't silent, its an approximate phonetic pronunciation of a foreign consonant sound, like kr in Coach K)
    Last edited by tele; 03-10-2012 at 01:52 PM.

I am worried about their size. Without Kelly, it will be tough to compete without foul trouble. I hope we can do it.

Watching the replays from the first game we played made me proud of Austin. He hates to lose and he really took the loss hard.

Start time

This game needs to hurry up and start.

Ryan is not in street clothes.