Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 60, VPI 56 ACCT Post-Game Thread

And another close one with VPI. Discuss.

VPI is always tough because they play physical. Luckily, they shot worse than Duke.

Tyler had a lot of shots, but it was because he was often (left) open. Had to be a part of the VT game plan.

Missed Kelly on the boards, as well as his offensive versatility, but Hairston played well.

Dawkins is a magician... disappears a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    And another close one with VPI. Discuss.
    At this point in the season, the W is all that counts. We're playing 3 in three days (hopefully...) with 2 serviceable big men (nothing against josh...but he's not going to provide the quality of RK). I don't think we were ever in DANGER of losing the game, but i think we had tomorrow on our minds after being up 10, which is okay...we don't want to kill ourselves when the game is mostly in hand.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    VPI is always tough because they play physical. Luckily, they shot worse than Duke.

Tyler had a lot of shots, but it was because he was often (left) open. Had to be a part of the VT game plan.

Missed Kelly on the boards, as well as his offensive versatility, but Hairston played well.

Dawkins missed his shots, unfortunately, but he looked like he was in the game, defended fine, got a few boards, just missed some good shots. I agree Hairston gave the team some good minutes. I think VT did want to leave TT open and I thought he took a few extra ones that were unnecessary, but I think he has to take the wide open ones in the flow of the offense. Tyler played two fantastic games vs. Green this year.

The D carried the team tonight.

I'm trying to take something positive away from this game tonight and am having a difficult time thinking of much. Mason's free throw shooting was a high point though.
    We need to step it up tomorrow if we hope to advance to the final.
    Don't know if Miami or FS will leave 16 points at the front of the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I don't think we were ever in DANGER of losing the game
    Neither did I. And we picked a good opponent to be lousy from 3 against. We can probably get away with another bad shooting day against the U, not so against fsu, and definitely not against unc.

The media theme for this will be how well VT defended the 3 tonight. I think that's inaccurate. We took a lot of open 3s. They just didn't go down. Our three main guards went 2-13. That can't happen moving forward.

Kudos to Mason and Hairston for stepping up in the absence of Kelly and with Miles in foul trouble for so much of the game. They really held it together. After a very rough start on the boards, we really kept them in check in the second half on the glass.

Thornton deserves a lot of credit on the defensive end. He was a little quick with the trigger on some 3s, but that was somewhat forced by VT's design. Still, when you're shooting under 25%, that's not necessarily the decision you want to keep making.

And credit to the defense overall. We shot terribly all game, but we didn't trail after the 8-minute timeout of the first half. That's getting it done.

Hopefully this is a case of getting the bad game out of our system. But we'll have to play better tomorrow to advance.

It would still have been nice to see more inside-out play. I 'm not sure why we're not seeing that. Minimal entry passes all night. When we do it good things happen including guards not named Tyler Thornton being open.

But god bless TT. If everyone played with his intensity all the time... wow...

Actually, I'd say that our rebounding should improve with Kelly out. I think that Miles and Hairston are both better rebounders (by rebound rate). I think we missed Kelly offensively for sure, though. Would have been nice to have one more scoring threat and have one more guy to spread the floor (and hopefully take shots away from Thornton).

Zing!

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Neither did I. And we picked a good opponent to be lousy from 3 against. We can probably get away with another bad shooting day against the U, not so against fsu, and definitely not against unc.
    Didn't think much of the offensive strategy near the end. Thought Rivers should have had the ball each time; but VPI wasn't up to the task. Guess the good news is winning with less than 20% 3-point shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Dawkins missed his shots, unfortunately, but he looked like he was in the game, defended fine, got a few boards, just missed some good shots. I agree Hairston gave the team some good minutes. I think VT did want to leave TT open and I thought he took a few extra ones that were unnecessary, but I think he has to take the wide open ones in the flow of the offense. Tyler played two fantastic games vs. Green this year.

The D carried the team tonight.
    He was ok on D, but not standout.

Sometimes it's good to be invisible on defense... means your guy isn't beating you.

However, he just wasn't in any rhythm on offense and his body language was pretty bad after missing the last shot he took (a layup, I think).

Quote Originally Posted by #1Duke View Post
    I'm trying to take something positive away from this game tonight and am having a difficult time thinking of much. Mason's free throw shooting was a high point though.
    A win?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Actually, I'd say that our rebounding should improve with Kelly out. I think that Miles and Hairston are both better rebounders (by rebound rate). I think we missed Kelly offensively for sure, though. Would have been nice to have one more scoring threat and have one more guy to spread the floor (and hopefully take shots away from Thornton).

Zing!
    I think Kelly gets better positioning than Hairston, but Hairston goes after it harder.

One thing I like about Hairston is that he plays like he's tall. Kelly doesn't always do that.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Duke View Post
    Let me help you, the team won in a one-in-done tournament. Always a positive. Style points don't matter nearly as much as Ws.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    It would still have been nice to see more inside-out play. I 'm not sure why we're not seeing that. Minimal entry passes all night. When we do it good things happen including guards not named Tyler Thornton being open.
    It's because we're just not good at it. Curry and Rivers are really terrible at throwing the entry pass, and Thornton is usually too unguarded to get that pass in there (his man helping down). It would be nice to see us go inside though. The Plumlees did a good job of getting position in the first half and didn't get looks.

Of course, Mason did get a couple of beautiful looks that he bumbled out of bounds, so it's not completely all on the guards.

The media theme for this will be how well VT defended the 3 tonight. I think that's inaccurate. We took a lot of open 3s. They just didn't go down. Our three main guards went 2-13. That can't happen moving forward.

Kudos to Mason and Hairston for stepping up in the absence of Kelly and with Miles in foul trouble for so much of the game. They really held it together. After a very rough start on the boards, we really kept them in check in the second half on the glass.

Thornton deserves a lot of credit on the defensive end. He was a little quick with the trigger on some 3s, but that was somewhat forced by VT's design. Still, when you're shooting under 25%, that's not necessarily the decision you want to keep making.

And credit to the defense overall. We shot terribly all game, but we didn't trail after the 8-minute timeout of the first half. That's getting it done.

Hopefully this is a case of getting the bad game out of our system. But we'll have to play better tomorrow to advance.
    Ugly ball- has been a while. Duke clearly did not shoot well- but as you say - they never trailed in the second half. Duke won UGLY by being scrappy and hitting shots at the right time. Thornton definitely made his mark on this game on D and O. This team has its issues but they do have a will to win and find a way. Tonight it was being hard nosed throughout. They should be a little more comfortable tomorrow - but that was not pretty.

I think Kelly gets better positioning than Hairston, but Hairston goes after it harder.

One thing I like about Hairston is that he plays like he's tall. Kelly doesn't always do that.
    I was merely talking about rebound rates. I'm think that Hairston rebounds a higher percentage of missed shots than Kelly. I'm certain that Miles does.

It's because we're just not good at it. Curry and Rivers are really terrible at throwing the entry pass, and Thornton is usually too unguarded to get that pass in there (his man helping down). It would be nice to see us go inside though. The Plumlees did a good job of getting position in the first half and didn't get looks.

Of course, Mason did get a couple of beautiful looks that he bumbled out of bounds, so it's not completely all on the guards.
    Maybe Thornton will develop that shot a little more over the summer... could use it.

I was merely talking about rebound rates. I'm pretty sure Hairston rebounds a higher percentage of missed shots than Kelly. I'm certain that Miles does.
    I know Miles is better. I think that Hairston's rebound rates are a reflection more of his minutes played than his rebounding prowess.

Because he goes after it so hard, he tends to pick up fouls. If he played the same # of minutes as Kelly, I think his rebounds would suffer because of foul trouble.

What are the foul rates between Hairston and Kelly?

EDIT: I know that "same number of minutes" doesn't make sense, because foul trouble means he'd not play as many... but you get my point.

Maybe Thornton will develop that shot a little more over the summer... could use it.
    If he does, look out. He'll scrappy like crazy on the defensive end, and then be an actual threat on offense. Yikes.