Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I saw John Carter. Had very low expectations. JE's review is pretty much dead on. It's not terrible. It really isn't. I would say better than Prince of Persia (which I actually liked and thought was unfairly panned). Nowhere near as good as the Indiana Jones movies, which it desperately wants to be.

The real problem was the main storyline. You never understood why the sides were fighting. You never understood why the people who had all that power were using it like they did, nor could I understand why they were in that cave in Arizona to begin with. The action was good. The visuals were great. The dog was funny. The four armed people were compelling. The dialogue was often cheesy. It just could not decide what movie it wanted to be. And as much as I think Taylor Kitsch is actually an OK actor...he can't hold the glass of Harrison Ford or any other mega star. As one person put it (in a review I read), he just tries too damn hard. The great actors don't seem to be trying - they just are.

I'll still see Battleship, and I think that might be a movie more in line with who he is as an actor, and I would recommend this movie to anyone who had kids who like adventure. But it's not epic, and it's going to lose a bunch of money.

Saw John Carter over the weekend with my 20 year old son and we both really enjoyed it. Based on reviews here and elsewhere, I went with low expectations and was not disappointed. I would recommend it if you like action movies. It was a lot of fun.
    Tom Mac

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Carter made $30.6 mil over the weekend, slightly better than I had expected but a disastrous number for a movie with this kind of budget and marketing behind it.

So, for anyone who saw it, was my assessment off?
    "In light of the theatrical performance of John Carter ($184 million global box office), we expect the film to generate an operating loss of approximately $200 million during our second fiscal quarter ending March 31. --The Walt Disney Co
    http://movies.msn.com/paralleluniver...illions/story/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Well I saw it last weekend without having any idea what it was about and thought it was laughably bad. I don't get science fiction though and might not have gone if I had known that was the genre. The wife and I spent a rainy weekend in Beaufort, SC so we ducked in to catch a movie on the spur of the moment. We don't see many movies so I was disappointed that none of the Oscar nominated films were playing. Our kids read the hunger Games so we thought that we would wait to see it with them so John Carter it was. Somehow it managed to seem completely absurd yet predictably formulaic.