Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leonard Hamilton named ACC COY

21 votes to Coach K's 20. So close...Bennett was third with 9.

http://www.streakingthelawn.com/2012...-or-mike-scott
    (Sorry for the random site link. It was the only one I could find that listed the vote totals at this point.)

Zeller wins POY as expected and certainly well-deserved.

Fitting that he wins it in a close race and with a last second boost to his candidacy (UNC's beatdown of Duke) because the story of FSU's season is lots of close games that they always seemed to pull out in the final seconds. If any one of several of those big shots hit rim instead of net, not only does Hamilton not win this award, but FSU could even be on the NCAA Tourney bubble.

-Jason "props to Hamilton tho -- he got the most out of his team and deserves recognition" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Here's theacc.com link

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskb...030612aac.html

Bummer - 1 vote

because the story of FSU's season is lots of close games that they always seemed to pull out in the final seconds.
    ...except, of course, the one against Carolina!

Wow, 8 coaches got at least one vote (not coincidentally, the teams that finished top 8 in the league.) Who could possibly pick Mark Turgeon? Nothing against Turgeon and I realize his team lost a lot from last year, but they did not have an impressive season. If a team is not even on the NCAA bubble, seems strange that anybody would vote for that coach as the best in the conference for that year.

It must be the case that the standard for "ACC COY" isn't actually "who was the best coach this year." Rather, it appears to be combination of beating expectations, some amount of desire to hand it out to coaches who have done well over time, and a popularity contest. After the discrediting fiasco of the Battier/Forte tie for POY, and desperate efforts to award COY to anyone other than K over the last 10 years -- Seth Greenburg has woin it twice, and even Leitao won one -- I think it fair to ascribe an element to the "popularity contest" as bias against Duke. Looking at the last 10 years, K is being disrespected, plain and simple. To heck with ACC COY, it really doesn't mean a dang thing.

No disrespect meant to Hamilton, but K was robbed.

K has been ACC COY 5 times in 32 years. Does that sound right to any person on Earth?

Coach of the year awards in all sports are always silly. It is very hard to know who the best coach is, but the way that these awards are decided (by the team beating media expectations) has little value.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    No disrespect meant to Hamilton, but K was robbed.

K has been ACC COY 5 times in 32 years. Does that sound right to any person on Earth?
    Wow, he almost has as many national championships.

Hamilton or Coach K would have been a good choice this year, although I obviously wanted K to get the nod. At least, no more Greenberg!

Since 2004:
    Greenberg: 2x ACC Coach of the Year (2005, 2008)
    ACC Regular Season Championships: 0
    ACC Tournament Championships: 0
    NCAA bids: 1 (2007)
    NCAA Tournament wins: 1

Krzyzewski: 0 ACC Coach of the Year Awards
    ACC Regular Season Championships: 3
    ACC Tournament Championships: 4
    NCAA bids: 8
    NCAA Tournament wins: 19
    Final Fours: 2
    National Championships: 1

I'd much rather have a coach with the second resume clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Wow, 8 coaches got at least one vote (not coincidentally, the teams that finished top 8 in the league.) Who could possibly pick Mark Turgeon? Nothing against Turgeon and I realize his team lost a lot from last year, but they did not have an impressive season. If a team is not even on the NCAA bubble, seems strange that anybody would vote for that coach as the best in the conference for that year.
    Feinstein?
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Hamilton or Coach K would have been a good choice this year, although I obviously wanted K to get the nod. At least, no more Greenberg!

Since 2004:
    Greenberg: 2x ACC Coach of the Year (2005, 2008)
    ACC Regular Season Championships: 0
    ACC Tournament Championships: 0
    NCAA bids: 1 (2007)
    NCAA Tournament wins: 1

Krzyzewski: 0 ACC Coach of the Year Awards
    ACC Regular Season Championships: 3
    ACC Tournament Championships: 4
    NCAA bids: 8
    NCAA Tournament wins: 19
    Final Fours: 2
    National Championships: 1

I'd much rather have a coach with the second resume clearly.
    I have no problem with Hamilton getting this recognition, though I was clearly hoping that it would go to Coach K. Either one would have been deserving.

Re the posts focusing on K "only" getting 5 ACC Coach of the Year awards, and none in the past decade, I have to believe that once you reach a certain level that you are simply weighed down by unreasonably high expectations. IIRC Williams hasn't won a whole lot at NC either. We also have the uphill fight to run against a faded-blue-tinted media in this state, which will (maybe subconsciously) lean towards the non-K candidates...

But, again, Hamilton is certainly a worthy recipient this year, and he did a lot with relatively little material (not that FSU doesn't clearly have some talent, but nowhere near the recruit star power of NC and Duke).

Who could possibly pick Mark Turgeon?
    Who knew Turgeon's mother was a member of the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association?!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Feinstein?
    Nah. Among Feinstein's many, many grudges is a general resentment of the current Maryland athletics department. No way does he vote for Turgeon the year after Gary Williams retires.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    A deserving win. K would have been deserving as well.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Here is my problem with COY awards...

In reality, it should probably go to the team with the best record at least 75% of the time. I mean, didn't Roy Williams recruit, practice, and game coach the UNC team that was the best team in the ACC regular season this year? How does that not make him COY?

When a program gets established and successful, bringing in lots of stud recruits as Duke and UNC do, it suddenly becomes not that big a deal for the coach to continually keep them on top. It is one thing if a coach arrives at a program and does something with existing players that the previous coach could not (like Frank Haith at Mizzu this season). But, for the most part, all these "Coach of the Year" awards seem to want to remove recruiting from the mix and merely reward the guy who got the most out of the least... as if having the least to start with was a good thing.

Put another way -- and it makes me ill to even say this -- how is John Calipari not the coach of the year this season?

-Jason "in fairness, I think Calipari and Beoheim have fairly equal claim to COY this year" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Here is my problem with COY awards...

In reality, it should probably go to the team with the best record at least 75% of the time. I mean, didn't Roy Williams recruit, practice, and game coach the UNC team that was the best team in the ACC regular season this year? How does that not make him COY?

When a program gets established and successful, bringing in lots of stud recruits as Duke and UNC do, it suddenly becomes not that big a deal for the coach to continually keep them on top. It is one thing if a coach arrives at a program and does something with existing players that the previous coach could not (like Frank Haith at Mizzu this season). But, for the most part, all these "Coach of the Year" awards seem to want to remove recruiting from the mix and merely reward the guy who got the most out of the least... as if having the least to start with was a good thing.
    And if you're Seth Greenberg, even getting the most out of that least is not required.

Coach of the year awards are mostly a joke. It is really the "who came out of left field" award.

Quote Originally Posted by ScreechTDX1847 View Post
    Coach of the year awards are mostly a joke. It is really the "who came out of left field" award.
    That's true. I'm still bummed, I was hoping this year it would be more about great coaching and that it would go to Koach.

It's about perspective

I think the coach of the year awards have become nothing more than an "honorable mention" coaching award. It's kind of like the participation ribbons they give the um, less-gifted athletes during field day in school. "Here ya go little buddy, we're so proud of you for participating! Look at what you did!"

As Jason Evans mentioned, either Williams or Coach K should probably win ACC COY every year. One or both of their respective teams will play in the ACC tournament final and/or make a deep run in the NCAA tournmanet. That's a given year in and year out. I think the media and fans of all teams concede that which is why I think the COY really means 3rd best coach in the ACC for that year.

With the recruiting classes that Duke and UNC get, it's hard to blame the media for not wanting to vote coach K or Williams as the COY. I was actually pleasantly suprised that coach k had 20 votes.

Bottom line, it's hard for a particularly well-coached season to stand out for someone like coach K. Everyone expects it, and K usually delivers in some varying degree.

I think the perks and accolades that come with having a coach of K's stature far outweigh
    an ACC COY award. We get plenty of banners in the place of some petty coaching award.