Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wow, the NFL really hit the Saints hard. They lose coaches, which does matter, and two 2nd round draft picks -- which is like losing 2 starting players as most 2nd rounders turn into starters and often into significant contributors.

This is much more than a slap on the wrist. Sean Peyton being out for an entire year is serious stuff. Greg Williams' career may be over.

I applaud the league for handing out serious penalties and sending a clear message to the league about this kind of conduct. That said, I am a little surprised no players were suspended. Wasn't the story that some of the defensive stars of the Saints had personally posted bounties?

-Jason "Does Peyton sit at home all year, or is he allowed to coach during the week but not at the games?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Wow, the NFL really hit the Saints hard. They lose coaches, which does matter, and two 2nd round draft picks -- which is like losing 2 starting players as most 2nd rounders turn into starters and often into significant contributors.

This is much more than a slap on the wrist. Sean Peyton being out for an entire year is serious stuff. Greg Williams' career may be over.

I applaud the league for handing out serious penalties and sending a clear message to the league about this kind of conduct. That said, I am a little surprised no players were suspended. Wasn't the story that some of the defensive stars of the Saints had personally posted bounties?

-Jason "Does Peyton sit at home all year, or is he allowed to coach during the week but not at the games?" Evans
    Usually when you're suspended, you cannot be present at team facilities or games, even if you buy a ticket. The Saints just got rocked with this one...now Brees might have to add "head coach" to his QB duties!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

One aspect that makes it worse...

When I first heard the penalties, I thought they were way too harsh. Then it came out that the NFL told the Saints to cut it out a while ago, but they still carried them on through this past season (see Cam Newton as target). I imagine Saints fan's argument is correct --- probably everyone does it. The problem is, the Saints got caught, got told to cut it out, then got caught again. Seems pretty open and shut to me.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    When I first heard the penalties, I thought they were way too harsh. Then it came out that the NFL told the Saints to cut it out a while ago, but they still carried them on through this past season (see Cam Newton as target). I imagine Saints fan's argument is correct --- probably everyone does it. The problem is, the Saints got caught, got told to cut it out, then got caught again. Seems pretty open and shut to me.
    Even without the warning, I'd say it's an appropriate punishment.

These are people's damn lives we're talking about here...and their abilities to function after their playing days are over.

My punishment would actually have included that the Saints automatically forfeit the next postseason game they appear in. Not only would it send the message, but it would reinforce the reason behind this message being sent (reduction of player wear and injuries).

Quote Originally Posted by Ping Lin View Post
    Even without the warning, I'd say it's an appropriate punishment.

These are people's damn lives we're talking about here...and their abilities to function after their playing days are over.

My punishment would actually have included that the Saints automatically forfeit the next postseason game they appear in. Not only would it send the message, but it would reinforce the reason behind this message being sent (reduction of player wear and injuries).
    That would also punish the team and the fans of their hypothetical playoff opponent.

sean peyton - 1 year....no fine...

bill bellicheat - five HUNDRED FREAKING THOUSAND DOLLARS - no suspension...

guess that sounds right...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

With all the consternation about Sheldon Williams around here, I feel compelled to point out it's Sean Payton. There is probably some Peyton Manning on the mind.

I agree that this is an extremely harsh penalty, and I too give the league a lot of credit for coming down hard and sending a strong message.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

Of course, since he makes $7.5M a year and is not getting paid, that's sort of like a fine, no?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    If that's the case - that the Saints continued after being explicitly instruced by the league to stop - then this punishment seems kind of lenient.

The other Payton suspension

Well, whatcha think pilgrims?
    Is Goodell doing the good-est thing here?

Whoops, didn't review other thread.

As others have mentioned, I think the fact that that Saints were told to stop and refused to probably played a significant role in stiffer penalties. Also, apparently several Saints officials and coaches lied to NFL investigators during the course of the investigation into all this. I have to think that the league hit the Saints and the coaches really hard to send a message about cooperation with investigators.

The NCAA does something similar when it investigates wrongdoing at the college level... just ask USC.

-Jason "I still think the Pats deserved a bit harsher penalties, but probably not at the level of the Saints" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Billions of Dollars?

As others have mentioned, I think the fact that that Saints were told to stop and refused to probably played a significant role in stiffer penalties. Also, apparently several Saints officials and coaches lied to NFL investigators during the course of the investigation into all this. I have to think that the league hit the Saints and the coaches really hard to send a message about cooperation with investigators.

The NCAA does something similar when it investigates wrongdoing at the college level... just ask USC.

-Jason "I still think the Pats deserved a bit harsher penalties, but probably not at the level of the Saints" Evans
    Belicheck's violations were about breaking the rules to tilt a competitive outcome -- reprehensible, to be sure. Gregg's (the third "g" stands for "gone") and the Saints' were about an evident breaking of the rules to reward the injury of players. Given that the NFL is already responding to dozens of lawsuits from former players with injuries and disabilities, the scale of potential loss to the league is in the billions of dollars. Of course the league jumped on the malefactors with both feet!! Moreover, as Jason points out, the Saints' officials, specifically Payton, lied about it. And, as we have seen, the coverup draws a worse punishment than the crime (c.f., Martha Stewart, R. Nixon and WJ Clinton).

sagegrouse

After listening to this, I think it is a pretty safe bet that Greg Williams career in the NFL is over.

Jason "Wow!" Evans

Ken Williams' reponse

Ken, the White Sox' general manager, and father of Kyle, the Forty-Niner WR who was targeted by the Saints' Gregg Williams: It's best if Gregg Williams and I never meet.

To answer the questions directed specifically to me, as a father first and foremost, I am glad to report Kyle's concussion tests have been extremely positive and we are grateful he is ready and anxious to get back to competition. Personally, suspension or not, it's probably best I'm never in a room with Gregg Williams and wonder if such an order crosses the line of the aggressive, competitive spirit we all know and love about the sport; and leans closer to a criminal act and therefore a litigious matter.
    Hey, Gregg, not a good idea to cross someone with Ken's power, even if it's in another sport. Heck, your whole bounty schtick was not a good idea in the first place. Wonder what kind of career you'll have in the future. I don't wish ill on anyone, but you will be tempting the fates, I'm sure.

Amazing. Payton should feel he has an angel protecting him if he just gets a year. His responsibility. I'll be surprised and disappointed if Payton coaches next year. Dumb move to appeal.

After listening to this, I think it is a pretty safe bet that Greg Williams career in the NFL is over.

Jason "Wow!" Evans
    Agreed. I don't think we'll ever see him in the NFL again.

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    Agreed. I don't think we'll ever see him in the NFL again.
    While I agree with this statement and the suspension, I have a feeling Gregg Williams isn't the only DC in the NFL making the kinds of speeches to his teams before games.

Scott Ostler

of the San Francisco Chronicle has fun at Gregg Williams' expense.

Short, but funny. Oh, the bottom line is that Gregg is a bad coach.

Gregg Williams will work in the NFL again.

I hear the 49ers want to hire him as chief of Candlestick Park security.

But will he work again as a coach or coordinator? Forget it.

Saints' players' suspensions overturned. Sounds like the appeals panel felt there wasn't sufficient evidence that the bounties were for injuring opposing players, as opposed to simply making big hits.

According to source, the suspensions are voided immediately, howevever the commissioner can reconsider discipline if -- and only if -- there is evidence of intent to injure beyond just a performance pool.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Saints' players' suspensions overturned. Sounds like the appeals panel felt there wasn't sufficient evidence that the bounties were for injuring opposing players, as opposed to simply making big hits.
    Wow, the redskins just can't catch a break, can they? I'm glad for the players though.