This has really sickened me. 2 years ago, I was one of what felt like an extremely tiny set of fans (outside of Indiana) rooting for the Colts in the Super Bowl. A major reason for that back then was a reaction based on what I felt was 3 hours of consistently dirty play in the Vikings game by the Saints. I remember at least 2 hits at Favre at his knees, and my guess is that if I went back and watched the game, there would be many many more.

Tom Jackson said this exact same thing a few days ago. He said that when he was "watching it at the time" that hits were late, low, illegal, and "seemed to be intentional."

Well, now we know they were.

ESPN has reported that the Saints could be hit with a 7 figure fine, that Williams may be suspended for a year, and that Loomis and Peyton should also expect multi-game suspensions and huge fines.

I'm sorry, but that's not good enough. How coincidental that a bounty system was put in place for knocking out players - and 2 of the greatest quarterbacks that have ever played the game have not played since their game with the Saints. Yes, Favre is old - and there's no causal link to Manning's physical troubles with hits in the superbowl, but BF went from a lithe, agile MVP level quarterback, to a limping, old warrior in the course of a single game - a game in which there were numerous uncalled late and low hits.

How much of a message should be sent? Obviously, stripping the world championship isn't viable (or even called for). But the Patriots lost a draft pick (and $750,000 in cumulative fines) for spying on a sideline. What is the health of opponents' superstars worth? $5M? $10M? An entire draft?

I would expect Peyton and Loomis to be fined $1M each, Williams to be fined $250,000 and suspended for the year. I don't think it would too far out of bounds to see a $10M fine levied against the Saints. If there's one thing true about professional sports, it's this. Superstars drive the business. The league will make an example here to protect the golden goose.