Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!

    Time for a new router

    I think it's time for me to replace my old Linksys WRT54G router. It seems to be dropping the internet connection intermittently (and then reconnecting). I plan to go to an "N" router, probably dual band. I've looked at Cisco (Linksys), Netgear, D-Link and tomorrow Belcan. I'm looking at N-300, N-600 and N-750 (the Belcan, because tomorrow Costco will have it on the shelves for $85) models. They are all overkill for what I need now, but might as well be prepared for tomorrow. I'm looking for a rock solid wireless connection that won't drop out, and while I don't do it today, I'll probably be streaming video "tomorrow". I'm curious to know what y'all have as far as recommendations and "stay away from's".
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tennessee

    medialink

    US-based technical support, with a real, non-scripted person you can understand. Need I say more?

    See 2000+ reviews at Amazon, including mine.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Try Tomato on your current box. Fabulous update for your router.

    -jk

  4. #4
    If you like your current Linksys, the E2500 should be a nice step up.

    -g

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I think it's time for me to replace my old Linksys WRT54G router. It seems to be dropping the internet connection intermittently (and then reconnecting). I plan to go to an "N" router, probably dual band. I've looked at Cisco (Linksys), Netgear, D-Link and tomorrow Belcan. I'm looking at N-300, N-600 and N-750 (the Belcan, because tomorrow Costco will have it on the shelves for $85) models. They are all overkill for what I need now, but might as well be prepared for tomorrow. I'm looking for a rock solid wireless connection that won't drop out, and while I don't do it today, I'll probably be streaming video "tomorrow". I'm curious to know what y'all have as far as recommendations and "stay away from's".
    I went from the WRT54G to the E3200 and found the transition seamless. The user interface is much easier to use and I like the fact that it allows Guest Access without giving out the main password. Like you, it's more than I probably needed, but I wanted to stay within the Cisco/Linksys family.
    Rich
    Cameron Crazies Do Not Storm The Court

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I went from the WRT54G to the E3200 and found the transition seamless. The user interface is much easier to use and I like the fact that it allows Guest Access without giving out the main password. Like you, it's more than I probably needed, but I wanted to stay within the Cisco/Linksys family.
    Ozzie, you may also want to check out this thread - http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ghlight=router
    Rich
    Cameron Crazies Do Not Storm The Court

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sterling, VA
    I don't follow the consumer market really that much (Verizon FiOS provides one with the service, plus I have a Cisco 871 series sitting behind that - which is much higher end than most people would need). However, with that said, the only input I have is that I would avoid Huawei. Not only have they had historically very shady business practices (e.g. corporate espionage from American companies), but I also don't entirely trust what's inside of them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Elon, NC
    We use the Netgear N600 for about a year and have been well pleased with it. Use it for laptop and for Netflix streaming to a Blue Ray player on the second floor. No complaints.
    Tom Mac

  9. #9
    I'm in a similar situation.

    Is the linksys e4200v2 overkill for a 2 laptop family who'll be using it mostly for streaming TV?

    Speaking of streaming TV, does anyone know of a way to get a TV hooked up in one side of an apartment without running hdmi or coax through the whole place? We're considering getting a TV, and if we got cable to go along with it, the cable box and the TV would be on opposite ends of the apartment with a kitchen in between (so no easy way to run a cable).

  10. #10
    Great timing, Ozzie... was just discussing this today with the wife, and thinking about turning to the experts here at DBR!

    Thanks all!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    i've owned d-link AND netgear and found d-link to be more mac friendly.....other than that, if you understand the parameters of how a router works, and you're confident enough to tinker around in there, they're about equal...

    i had a lot of problems with linksys....could have been just that one....
    "Either we're going down, or they are....... Kirk out!"

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I'm in a similar situation.

    Is the linksys e4200v2 overkill for a 2 laptop family who'll be using it mostly for streaming TV?

    Speaking of streaming TV, does anyone know of a way to get a TV hooked up in one side of an apartment without running hdmi or coax through the whole place? We're considering getting a TV, and if we got cable to go along with it, the cable box and the TV would be on opposite ends of the apartment with a kitchen in between (so no easy way to run a cable).
    The E2500 is dual band N. If all you have is 2 laptops, this means that you can essentially have a "private" wireless network for each of you (no competition for bandwidth in the house beyond what your service provider limits you to).

    The E4200 has a lot of other bells and whistles (like the ability to attach storage) you may not need.

    I'm not 100% sure I understand the TV in one side of the apartment and cable box in the other- any decent cable provider will put a drop where your TV is. You may prefer to run the cables yourself, but I think it would be a bit awkward to be pointing the remote to the kitchen to change the channel :-)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    In reading the reviews on both Costco's and Tiger Direct's websites for the Netgear products, they either work great or suck, and when there* are problems with the unit their* telephone customer support is poor, located off-shore, and short lived. Not being network tech savvy, I think I'll avoid the Netgear equipment just in case to avoid the headaches. Not that Cisco or Belkin are going to be perfect either.


    *for my carolina friends, note the proper use of "there" and "their" in this sentence
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I'm not 100% sure I understand the TV in one side of the apartment and cable box in the other- any decent cable provider will put a drop where your TV is. You may prefer to run the cables yourself, but I think it would be a bit awkward to be pointing the remote to the kitchen to change the channel :-)
    I have a universal remote that uses radio frequency to work the TV, cable box, and other equipment (tuner, Blu-Ray, iPod dock, etc.) so everything is hidden inside cabinets. It's a very clean look and it doesn't matter where I point the remote. In fact, I could be on the other side of the house and change the channels if I wanted (my kids HATE when I do that!). That being said, as far as I know, you still need a wire that connects the TV and the cable box and, if you're using HD, it should be an HDMI cable. Decent HDMI cables can be very expensive, more so the longer they are, so it's in your interest to keep the cable box and TV in pretty close proximity to each other. I worked with a professional to run my wiring in the attic and drop them behind walls and into the cabinets, some of which the cable company won't do.
    Rich
    Cameron Crazies Do Not Storm The Court

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I have a universal remote that uses radio frequency to work the TV, cable box, and other equipment (tuner, Blu-Ray, iPod dock, etc.) so everything is hidden inside cabinets. It's a very clean look and it doesn't matter where I point the remote. In fact, I could be on the other side of the house and change the channels if I wanted (my kids HATE when I do that!). That being said, as far as I know, you still need a wire that connects the TV and the cable box and, if you're using HD, it should be an HDMI cable. Decent HDMI cables can be very expensive, more so the longer they are, so it's in your interest to keep the cable box and TV in pretty close proximity to each other. I worked with a professional to run my wiring in the attic and drop them behind walls and into the cabinets, some of which the cable company won't do.
    HDMI cables don't have to be expensive. It won't help you with installation costs, but monoprice.com is your friend. Great cables at way reasonable cost- 25' HDMI for under $20, 40' for under $30.

    I tried Bluerigger and some other HDMI cables and still had intermittent issues until I replaced my HDMI cables with Monoprice cables. A lot of people on AVSforums swear by these cables.

    Good luck!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    HDMI cables don't have to be expensive. It won't help you with installation costs, but monoprice.com is your friend. Great cables at way reasonable cost- 25' HDMI for under $20, 40' for under $30.

    I tried Bluerigger and some other HDMI cables and still had intermittent issues until I replaced my HDMI cables with Monoprice cables. A lot of people on AVSforums swear by these cables.

    Good luck!
    I've seen a lot of people recommend monoprice.

    Rich gets the issue. My cable box would be in one room, presumably with an HDMI out. My TV would be in another room. I would not be able to run a cable between them (running through the ceiling is not an option, as the supporting beams run perpendicular to the route the wires would need to take, plus i'm not pulling down my ceiling.)

    I think I'm better off without cable anyway, with netflix/hulu/espn3 streaming and digital broadcast.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    In reading the reviews on both Costco's and Tiger Direct's websites for the Netgear products, they either work great or suck, and when there* are problems with the unit their* telephone customer support is poor, located off-shore, and short lived. Not being network tech savvy, I think I'll avoid the Netgear equipment just in case to avoid the headaches. Not that Cisco or Belkin are going to be perfect either.


    *for my carolina friends, note the proper use of "there" and "their" in this sentence
    You've got carolina friends? Shame on you. Your () only asking for trouble their/there/they're.
    Not leaving until the game is over.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You've got carolina friends? Shame on you. Your () only asking for trouble their/there/they're.
    Ozzie is in LaLa Land if he thinks he has ANY carolina friends!

    As for the router, pick any route that does not include Southeast Orange County.

  19. #19
    Happy with my DIR 655

Similar Threads

  1. Wireless Router Advice
    By Rich in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 05:27 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-16-2010, 11:41 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-20-2009, 03:18 PM
  4. Router question
    By OZZIE4DUKE in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2008, 02:42 PM
  5. Long time fan, first time poster.
    By Cdog923 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 06:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •