Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

A Call to Arms to My Fellow Crazies

Over the past few years, I have seen many threads and discussions on this board and the Devil's Den on the current crop of Cameron Crazies and how they pale in comparison to the old days. I was a student at Duke from 2007 to 2011, but I have been fortunate to stay in Durham this year, and as a result, I am still going to all the games (minus the Wake game due to an insane fever). While I can't truly compare how the student section was with my predecessors, I was proud of the sixth man contribution at many of the games during my four year Duke tenure. The UNC-Duke game last year was by far the loudest I've ever heard Cameron, in person, and on TV. The large pot-bellied grad student who distracted one of the FT shooters by lifting his shirt at the Georgia Southern game a couple years back was classic and hearkened back to Speedo Guy. And who can forget all the taunting to Maryland and Grievous Vasquez during the game when we were up 60-20 at one point? Now, like I said, I do not truly know how Cameron had been before, but I contend that Cameron was still a clever and intimidating place during my years at Duke. The undefeated streak at Cameron that started my sophomore year is still going strong. You can argue that the ACC has been weaker the past couple of years, but it still stands that the student section has been a helping force.

But sadly, let us shift to this year.

Last week, we played #16 Virginia at home. This is arguably our second to best home game of the season behind UNC. In addition, this was the second day of the semester for students so studying/fatigue should have never been an issue. Returning to my domain in the student section, I began jumping up and down on every Virginia possession and doing the "drone" heckling. The usual stuff, right? To my absolute disgust, I was the only one in a 20 yard radius doing anything. Seriously? I'm not even a student and I was showing more passion in the game than the actual student/Crazies around me. I would usually see a crowd like this at an early season game, but against a top 20 team in ACC season? When Duke finally went on a run, it truly killed me inside to have to see Miles and Quinn try to pump up the crowd on essentially every play since there was still not that much energy. One could argue that this was even worse than the usual Parent's Weekend game.

I am glad I am not the only "student" who feels this way, as apparent by this blog entry written by a tenter that has been circulating on my Facebook news feed: http://kftfl.tumblr.com/post/1616205...cameron-indoor

Whenever the "older" Crazies bemoan us on DBR or Scout forums, I feel like us youth have usually tuned them out, which is why I hope fellow students calling attention to this will help improve the current state of Cameron. Now I realize that those students who read DBR are usually the hardcore Crazies doing what I do at every game, so I ask that you spread the word and help teach the other Crazies. What do I mean by that? Well for one, tell those around you who are doing the devil hand-hexing motion that we only do that during out of bounds play or when the opposing team enters the court, not during play, because that just looks silly. Let's get the basics done (making noise, being LOUD, and actually MOVING) before expecting this group to come up with clever cheers.

And if you're a senior who hasn't gone to many games this year (like many that I know), I hope you will attend the rest of the games this semester. Most of you have landed jobs and gotten into med/law/grad schools, so you really have no excuse to miss a game - none at all. This will also be my last semester of Duke Basketball games at Cameron (my second "last semester" haha), and I know I will miss being in the student section. Don't take for granted the opportunity you have here.

Sorry if my rambling rant/plea was ridiculously long. Just had to get it out.

I hear ya!

I was not at the Virginia game last week, but I was astounded by the lack of 'craziness' for the majority of the game. Watching it on tv may have skewed it a little, but as you said in your post; when our own players have to try to pump up the crowd during a tightly contested ACC game there isn't a whole lot of effort being put into the game from the crowd. Hopefully for the rest of the remaining games, we'll see a better atmosphere in Cameron! We need to keep that home court winning streak alive!

Quote Originally Posted by BattierD12 View Post
    Over the past few years, I have seen many threads and discussions on this board and the Devil's Den on the current crop of Cameron Crazies and how they pale in comparison to the old days. I was a student at Duke from 2007 to 2011, but I have been fortunate to stay in Durham this year, and as a result, I am still going to all the games (minus the Wake game due to an insane fever). While I can't truly compare how the student section was with my predecessors, I was proud of the sixth man contribution at many of the games during my four year Duke tenure. The UNC-Duke game last year was by far the loudest I've ever heard Cameron, in person, and on TV. The large pot-bellied grad student who distracted one of the FT shooters by lifting his shirt at the Georgia Southern game a couple years back was classic and hearkened back to Speedo Guy. And who can forget all the taunting to Maryland and Grievous Vasquez during the game when we were up 60-20 at one point? Now, like I said, I do not truly know how Cameron had been before, but I contend that Cameron was still a clever and intimidating place during my years at Duke. The undefeated streak at Cameron that started my sophomore year is still going strong. You can argue that the ACC has been weaker the past couple of years, but it still stands that the student section has been a helping force.

But sadly, let us shift to this year.

Last week, we played #16 Virginia at home. This is arguably our second to best home game of the season behind UNC. In addition, this was the second day of the semester for students so studying/fatigue should have never been an issue. Returning to my domain in the student section, I began jumping up and down on every Virginia possession and doing the "drone" heckling. The usual stuff, right? To my absolute disgust, I was the only one in a 20 yard radius doing anything. Seriously? I'm not even a student and I was showing more passion in the game than the actual student/Crazies around me. I would usually see a crowd like this at an early season game, but against a top 20 team in ACC season? When Duke finally went on a run, it truly killed me inside to have to see Miles and Quinn try to pump up the crowd on essentially every play since there was still not that much energy. One could argue that this was even worse than the usual Parent's Weekend game.

I am glad I am not the only "student" who feels this way, as apparent by this blog entry written by a tenter that has been circulating on my Facebook news feed: http://kftfl.tumblr.com/post/1616205...cameron-indoor

Whenever the "older" Crazies bemoan us on DBR or Scout forums, I feel like us youth have usually tuned them out, which is why I hope fellow students calling attention to this will help improve the current state of Cameron. Now I realize that those students who read DBR are usually the hardcore Crazies doing what I do at every game, so I ask that you spread the word and help teach the other Crazies. What do I mean by that? Well for one, tell those around you who are doing the devil hand-hexing motion that we only do that during out of bounds play or when the opposing team enters the court, not during play, because that just looks silly. Let's get the basics done (making noise, being LOUD, and actually MOVING) before expecting this group to come up with clever cheers.

And if you're a senior who hasn't gone to many games this year (like many that I know), I hope you will attend the rest of the games this semester. Most of you have landed jobs and gotten into med/law/grad schools, so you really have no excuse to miss a game - none at all. This will also be my last semester of Duke Basketball games at Cameron (my second "last semester" haha), and I know I will miss being in the student section. Don't take for granted the opportunity you have here.

Sorry if my rambling rant/plea was ridiculously long. Just had to get it out.
    Terrific, heartfelt post, BattierD12!! The Cameron Crazie heritage should never be compromised or ever taken for granted. Your brave and honest post will hopefully motivate as Coach K did recently with Austin Rivers. We often don't like to hear the cold truth...but, we always grow when we do. Thanks for the wake up call. We are proud. We are DUKE!!!

Very good post here that brings up a great point. I made a comment during the Wake game about how dead the crowd seemed and it seems like I wasn't the only one. Full disclosure, I didn't go to Duke, my older brother did from 86-90. I heard my fare share of great Cameron stories as the blog post linked mentioned. I became a huge fan of Duke Basketball as a result of my brother and that passion has never faded and never will. I learned my Duke history. I studied it. I study it to this day. I recently watched a 45 minute clip on the Duke- 1942 Rose Bowl for crying out loud.

The creativness of the Crazies is legendary, but it isn't a given year in and year out. I applaud the writer of that post. He hit the nail on several important parts to keeping the Cameron atmosphere great and I hope the students take that to heart and we see some of that firey, creative behavior that made Cameron the best college basketball arena in the country.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

The thing is, it's not something you can force. The thing that made the old days so great was the borderline-unstable passion, along with great creativity and humor. They weren't nice kids attending a game and being part of tradition, they were maniacs giving their heart and soul to protect the ownership of their court.

It was kind of sad seeing a couple UVA fans in the student section, jumping around and being obnoxious all game, while the crazies just kind of meekly stood there and tried to ignore them. I'm sorry, but 20 years ago those UVA kids would have been mercilessly attacked and verbally abused by every student in attendance until they wished they'd never been born.

I think part of it is that students don't remember what it's like to not win 30 games a year, so there's less urgency, but also that the student population is generally more diverse and academically oriented than it used to be. You can't really force a nice kid to have that kind edge and awesomely unhealthy investment in the program if it doesn't come naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    You can't really force a nice kid to have that kind edge and awesomely unhealthy investment in the program...
    Aw, Greg Newton, sure you can. Look at me! As a now admittedly Crustie Crazie, I used to be a nice kid, even if it was a few hundred years ago. I demand a stellar performance from our youngsters downstairs. What's more annoying than a kooky older female jumping around upstairs and blocking other people views?
    Come on you whippersnappers, get with the program!

I wrote that blog post. We the students are sick and tired of Cameron being stale, and starting tomorrow we're going to take it back. It's not going to happen all in one day, but I look forward to being the example.

I already feel sorry for the eardrums of whoever stands in front of me tomorrow.

Go Devils.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    I wrote that blog post. We the students are sick and tired of Cameron being stale, and starting tomorrow we're going to take it back. It's not going to happen all in one day, but I look forward to being the example.

I already feel sorry for the eardrums of whoever stands in front of me tomorrow.

Go Devils.
    Kudos to your writing efforts. It was very well written articulated and dead on. As a long time fan I've noticed the same over the years and it is nice to see it is also noticed in the student body. The first part of solving a problem is admitting there is one. Good luck to you and the rest of your fellow Crazies. Get it done.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

A good start would be to actually learn the lyrics (and by that I mean about 30 words) of our own fight song that the band plays at least 3 times a game:

http://www.ncaawiki.com/index.php/Fi...Devils,_Fight!

(with lyrical modifications in the obvious places...). Maybe one of these games we put this on the dirt sheet, as pathetic as it might be.

There are a few traditions that seem to be on the downside. I remember when defense was the foundation of the team and the pride of the Crazies. Pounding the floor meant something and the crowd seemed to become the extra defender on the floor.

That seems to be gone.

I'll know we are where we need to be when we grab a lead, force a TO, drain a three and then pound the floor and step up the coverage and force another TO, and score on a break...TIME OUT called by the visitors!

THAT'S Crazy rock and roll.

To bad the press sit on the front row

When I was there our reward for being first in line was front row seats with our feet on the floor, introduction were done with lights out and spotlight on the players, no friggin jumbotron and rap music...that jumbotron just draws attention away from the court and people looking up to see if they are on...IMO, it's a shame that students aren't behind the visitors bench down at least to the scorer's table...know I am not providing any fresh ideas but sometimes reinstituting what worked so well makes the most sense

I only get to see the games on TV, but know I've seen on many occasions Coach K stand up and try and get the crowd up and loud...and not in a "let's go we need you" way, more in a "are you $%#& kidding me? Why aren't you on your $#@%^ feet screaming and yelling???"

Can't say I've seen that too many times other years.

the press

Quote Originally Posted by Duke76 View Post
    When I was there our reward for being first in line was front row seats with our feet on the floor, introduction were done with lights out and spotlight on the players, no friggin jumbotron and rap music...that jumbotron just draws attention away from the court and people looking up to see if they are on...IMO, it's a shame that students aren't behind the visitors bench down at least to the scorer's table...know I am not providing any fresh ideas but sometimes reinstituting what worked so well makes the most sense
    Don't blame press row ... that's been there since the early 1970s (and before that, the entire middle second of the bleachers was given to the press, although that did lead about 80 percent of the side court for students).

The biggest change in Cameron in the increase in sold or comp seats on the scorer's table side of Cameron. Up until about 8-9 years ago, about 80-90 percent of that side were under grad students -- just likie the press row side. Now, most of that side are ople who actually sit and watch the game. The floor used to be surrounded by screaming crazies ... now it's only one side and the two end zones.

I'm one old timer who has been a defender of the modern Crazies. Maybe not quote a creative as they were in the heydey of the 80s and early 90s, but every bit as loud and as enthusiastic.

But I do admit Cameron has lost something this year. The Wake game was the worst performance by the Crazies for an ACC game that I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Aw, Greg Newton, sure you can. Look at me! As a now admittedly Crustie Crazie, I used to be a nice kid, even if it was a few hundred years ago. I demand a stellar performance from our youngsters downstairs. What's more annoying than a kooky older female jumping around upstairs and blocking other people views?
    Come on you whippersnappers, get with the program!
    Amen and Amen...Love you, weezie!!

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    There are a few traditions that seem to be on the downside. I remember when defense was the foundation of the team and the pride of the Crazies. Pounding the floor meant something and the crowd seemed to become the extra defender on the floor.

That seems to be gone.

I'll know we are where we need to be when we grab a lead, force a TO, drain a three and then pound the floor and step up the coverage and force another TO, and score on a break...TIME OUT called by the visitors!

THAT'S Crazy rock and roll.
    GREAT point, NYBri! I challenge TT or whomever has the "floor" to POUND THE FLOOR. This act epitomizes Duke basketball under Coach K. Let's get that feeling, guys!!

clearly, it's time for Occupy Cameron. "We ... are ... the 13%"

Exclamation

This is really ridiculous. Considering the number of Duke students on campus and the top-notch basketball played at Duke, there is no excuse for the poor showing the we have seen off and on for a number of years, now. I have been outrageously lucky the past 5 years, being able to procure tickets to at least one game in Cameron each year. (Not so lucky this year, or for the future, as my source may have dried up.) While I am not the richest person in the world, I still took time off from work and spent my hard-earned dollars to return to my alma mater and support the tream while screaming my head off from way, way up in an end zone corner seat. It is difficult for me to understand how a student at Duke is unwilling to just walk across campus to attend a game with the best seats in the house; while I consider it a privilege to be able to fly halfway across the country, use work vacation days, and pay a lot of my hard-earned money to sit in a seat way up in the corner of the stands.

My father used to often repeat the quote: "It's a pity that youth is wasted on the young." I think that it is applicable in this case.

I applaud the comments so far on this thread. I wish I could be there to lend my support this year. Kudos to all of you.

Go Duke!!!

ricks

From 2 recent Iron Dukes emails:

Dear Iron Dukes member,

A special opportunity is available for select Iron Dukes members to purchase corner bleacher tickets in the Duke student section to the Duke vs. Virginia game on January 12th at 9 pm.

Dear Iron Dukes member,

Tickets are now available for all Iron Duke members in the corner bleachers of the Duke student section for the Duke vs. Wake Forest game on Thursday, January 19 at 7 pm and the Duke vs. Florida State game on Saturday, January 21 at 4 pm.

I think that this is a pretty clear indication of a lack of student interest.

My sister-in-law (T-80), who lives in Lexington, Kin-tucky (aka the Land of the Missing D and E), also noted the lack of "Crazieness" during these 2 games as she watched from afar. She was sad as she remembers our generation there, along with the last couple decades worth of antics and fervor, too. So, Native, lead the charge, starting today vs f$u, and "reclaim" Our House!

Now excuse me as I go down my driveway and pick up my morning paper and get some of those %$#@ kids off my lawn.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

True that

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    The thing is, it's not something you can force. The thing that made the old days so great was the borderline-unstable passion, along with great creativity and humor. They weren't nice kids attending a game and being part of tradition, they were maniacs giving their heart and soul to protect the ownership of their court.

It was kind of sad seeing a couple UVA fans in the student section, jumping around and being obnoxious all game, while the crazies just kind of meekly stood there and tried to ignore them. I'm sorry, but 20 years ago those UVA kids would have been mercilessly attacked and verbally abused by every student in attendance until they wished they'd never been born.

I think part of it is that students don't remember what it's like to not win 30 games a year, so there's less urgency, but also that the student population is generally more diverse and academically oriented than it used to be. You can't really force a nice kid to have that kind edge and awesomely unhealthy investment in the program if it doesn't come naturally.

You nailed this.
    GTHC